My next project - publishing a book!

• First, sorry if this is not the right place, it likely is not, feel free to move it if there is a better spot!

This will be a very long term project MINIMUM one year. I want to collect lots of data before I go to publish.... plus I need to learn whats involved with publishing a book.

The books subject: The subject will be built cardmodels of the highest quality. It does not matter a single bit what the genre is, nor if its one model or a diorama etc. The model does not need to be purist, you can use wire in the struts, string for rigging, plastic for canopy etc. However if you build a diorama ALL parts must be card models (with filler bits as needed listed above). The model does not need to be ultra complex (nor will I accept simple models as submissions) but should be the best model you can build. NOTHING with copyright issues can be considered. So no movie stuff etc unless you get the express written permission on the copyright holder. Also the build must be representative of the kit but you can make additions/modifications so long as they are paper. Modifications must be noted as well and will be listed.

Scratch built kits are welcome as well.

I figure a largish book 20x20 inchesish. Open to any page and left hand side will be a VERY large image of your model, full page. This has to be an ultra high quality pic due to the size. It should be taken in a white box format or outside with very narrow depth of field so no extra distractions.

Right hand side will have several things

1-3 paragraphs about model - historical significance, model discussion highs and lows, model dimensions and scale. If its an original model you can talk about how it was designed or how you thought it up etc etc. I would like this to be written by the builder but you can farm this out to someone else if you want. The author will get separate credit on the same page.

More pics of the model (though smaller) and one pic of the real thing (if available) will be on this page as well. Pics on this page can be more artistic that main pic if desired but must be high quality.

Modifications made by builder.

Info on the kit:
    Model manufacturer
    model designer (if available)
    Scale
    Actual size of model
    Number of parts (approx)

Builder Bio. Builder pic if desired. Include link to build thread if there is one. Also include link to forum(s)/card modeling pages of choice max 3. Builder can include most anything they want here.

Still getting this worked out in my head as to exactly what I want to do but this is the basics.

I am making this a medium to long term project because I want minimum 50 models for the book. This will give builders plenty of time to build the exact project they want in the timeframe they need to complete it!

You prolly want to know what else is in it for the builders. All builders will get a free copy of the book. As well as much of a plug (or little) as you wish included with the photo.

You can submit already completed models as well. Feel free to nominate anyone you think did an outstanding job on a model. Please email entries and nominations to cgutzmer at gmail period com. I want all models to be kept from the public eye until release date.

Dont be shy! Lets show the world what we can do in paper

Thanks
    Chris
    p.s. I know that not all of us are really good photographers. If anyone would be willing to put together a quick tutorial on how to take a decent pic it would be appreciated.

• If you are willing to participate are you willing to have the model shipped to me for professional photography? Not required but that would make things a whole lot easier and more professional looking if all the pics are taken the same way.... Return shipping might not be possible. If this is the case I would probably donate the models to libraries and museums to further promote the hobby.
    Thoughts?

• Hello cgutzmer,

sounds like a great project, that might help to make our passion more popular ! Maybe you should look around for models, that fit your purpose, here in the forum and contact their builders individually ? I doubt however, that any of them will ship their model as they usually are very fragile.

best greetings
    Cyana

• I agree but as long as I can get good pics I am happy. I have shipped completed models by mail in the states with no problem but not sure about international shipping... if they are packaged right its pretty safe. :)

I want to see what I get for nominations and entries from builders before I start picking them myself. I dont want it to be just my favorites ;)
    Thanks!
    Chris

• Hey all!
    Quick update here that might get you thinking about this in a different way. I am currently talking to a few people at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. I want to donate several models from this project to them to display alongside several of their exhibits. Most notably the Space, ships and Transportation exhibits. However they have several others that could be great opportunities as well. When you are building (or have already built) a model that you think is the best you can possibly do take a step back, look at it and think would this be a good addition to a museum. If a kit (Halinksi comes to mind) is already very highly detailed and you did an excellent job building it then yeah - it very well could be! If the kid was a medium complexity build like Mareks WWII biplanes and such but you did a great job on the build would that suffice? Maybe, maybe not. If you added things like rigging, guy wires, possibly scratch built a few extra components or details then yeah it probably will! Of course anything will be considered but I am looking for models that showcase our hobby and make people stand back and go WOW. A REALLY good medium level difficulty build could of course make the grade too so dont be discouraged if you dont do any scratch building or add ons. To get these kinds of models through think about the history of the model - is it generic or does have a very specific history behind it - look at Sergeys recent repaints of various flying circus planes. These are great medium complexity builds. They have a solid history behind them that interests many people of all ages. Having something with a story behind it really helps. Also take a look at the museum page, see what they have in their exhibits. I think it would be pretty cool to have a nicely detailed supermarine spitfire like they have hanging from the ceiling! Lots of kits like those exist (not exact most likely) but a little boy could say hey! Its just like that big one daddy! :)

At over 2 million visitors per year this could be a HUGE PR boost for our hobby. Of course to be considered for this you would need to ship your model to me (I would also take care of photographing the model for the book in those cases) If the museum idea falls through the models will be donated to other museums and libraries to help spread the word about the hobby.

Shipping me models for this endeavor is of course purely optional. Professional (or semiprofessional if you happen to know someone that can do it in a studio style setup in their home) quality white box photos are acceptable as well for the main photo and as mentioned artistic photos are acceptable for secondary photos (up to 6) desk clutter or distracting backgrounds that the model does not fit into are not acceptable.

http://digital-photography-sch…-a-inexpensive-light-tent
    Thanks!
    Chris

• Hi Chris,
    if you wonder why there are so little replies to your thread. You might want to introduce yourself a little bit more. Who are you? What is your background? What are your motives for the book? What resources do you have access to? Show us the models you built yourself.

Don't get me wrong, but people are a bit reserved when they don't know one. And you are not the first to promise such a project.

Cheers
    Jan

• Jan & others,

Chris Gutzmer runs the Ecardmodels website & shop, exclusively for downloadable models. He comes highly recommended. Most of his posting until now has been at Papermodelers.com, and I think he should be warmly welcomed here as well.

His shop carries the largest assortment of downloadable models I have found. Prices are very reasonable, service excellent & immediate, personal & friendly to boot.

The thing I like most about Chris and his website is his ambition to take on new designers. Over the last couple of months I believe his website has turned into what may become the largest and best stocked depository for downloadable models of all.

It is a good place to visit. Go have a look for yourselves! And if you have any models of your own design lying around, Ecardmodels.com is a good place to have them available at as well. Roman Vasilyev, "der Kampfflieger", ist just an example of a designer who carries his models both on his own website, and on Chris' site. And I can think of some designers, whose websites now are down or difficult to find, who would benefit from letting Chris keep their work available.

In addition, most of the designers on his site have used vector technique for designing their models, and they come in unlocked files, which means you can modify, rescale, and recolour them without loss of original quality. In fact, this has quickly turned into a whole new niche. Many of the newer models on the site are recolourings of previous original design.

Designers with their models on Chris' site don't seem to mind people modifying their models, and then - if the result is accepted by Chris and the original author - publishing the result on Ecardmodels.com, with a chance of earning a few nickels to cover costs for printing ink used in developing the new version. This is as surprising and productive a practice, as it is commendable!

Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

Edited 25 times, last by Leif Ohlsson ().

• Hi Leif,
    thanks for the headsup. I really wasn't aware of that. I will do a quick german introduction.

Also Leute,
    Chris Gutzmer betreibt die Webseite ecardmodels.com. Er hat dieselbe Anfrage auch schon bei papermodelers gestellt. Also wer sich berufen fühlt eines seiner Modelle in einem Buch zu veröffentlichen möge bitte Chris kontaktieren. Falls Bedarf besteht, kann ich bei Übersetzungen behilflich sein.
    Es gibt sicher einige Verdächtige hier, die mir einfallen. Ich sag nur Bim.

Gruss
    Jan

• Hallo Jan (und andere)!

Also der Chris ist nun nicht so ein unbeschriebenes Blatt mehr!
    Es wäre aber schön, wenn jemand sich bereit erklärt, den ersten Beitrag hier ins Deutsche zu übersetzen! Ich glaube das ist eher der Hauptgrund, warum es kaum Antworten auf seine Anfrage gibt! Nicht jeder spricht jeden Tag englisch und Online-Übersetzungen aus dem Englischen sind meist eine Katastrophe!

Gruß
    Marko

• Hi!
    Lief - thanks for the great review :) Thats my business in a nutshell.

My cardmodel history in a nutshell: I joined cardmodels.net about 12 years ago and became a mod about 2 years later. I stayed a mod for a few years then became a Junior admin under Rick steffers. When papermodelers.com opened and rick took a position there I became the head admin at cardmodels.net. which later became zealot. I remained the admin there for several years. I stayed on through the crowdgather switch until they brought in a new admin who was too agressive in his moderation style. I spoke out, got banned, had half my posts deleted. Crowdgather unbanned me but could not do much with my deleted posts. I decided then to make the move to papermodelers.com where I am now a moderator and help out moslty with the newer link section that I devised. Been very happy there although I split it with my time in my own forum geared towards designers.

No need to translate that if you dont want ;) This next part is about my book idea (which is getting a second part)

My main reason for the book is to further the card model presence as a mainstream hobby. I want more people to know what our hobby is really capable of creating out of paper.

I am also working with the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago about putting up at least two card model displays to enhance a new redesign effort they are doing. This could possibly result in over 2 million people per year seeing our works first hand!
    Thanks
    Chris
    p.s. I will try and dig up some of my old build thread photos :)
    Chris

• I just wanted to drop a line and thank those of you that have submitted entries too me. Its a great start and I look forward to hearing from more of you :)

I plan on going through the forums here soon looking for models I think might make good additions, if I send interview cards along with the request, they will be in english.... if I put this up here is there someone that might be able to translate to german for me? I will probably need some help tranlating german responses to English too but that can wait until I have things a bit more firmed up.
    Thanks!
    Chris

• hey all! I have a few GREAT entries! I hope to start going through the forums here soon to start sending direct requests. I will send a little questionairre to fill out to get an idea about the model too :)
    Thanks!
    Chris

• I am about 2/3 of the way through all the galleries and have about 128 models I am interested in contacting the builders about :) I am sure lots more will be found yet!

I am sending a PN to each of the builders and would like to know if there is someone that would be willing to translaste my message to German for me. I could use the google translator but we know hoe that usually works...

Thanks!
    Chris

• Thanks Jan - just shoot it back to me via email when done :) no hurry and appreciate the help!

For anyone that is following along I have completed going through your rather sizable galleries. I stopped when I hit builds over three years old or I would have been doing this for weeks! If anyone wants to nominate a model for the book feel free to post here or drop me a PM

I have about 190 models I will be asking builders if they would like to include.
    Thanks!
    Chris