Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um Papiermodelle, Kartonmodellbau und Bastelbogen. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

erasmus

Fortgeschrittener

• »erasmus« ist männlich
  • »erasmus« ist der Autor dieses Themas

Registrierungsdatum: 12. April 2008

Beruf: System Architekt

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 8. August 2009, 12:18

Kleine Lüfter / small ship mounted air vents

Dear fellow modellers,

I have posted this thread to share my experience with building small ship mounted vents.
These are the type of vents that include two parts: a tube and an intake.

The construction method I present is a mix of tips I took from the forum and the experience and skills I developed while building the large number of vents for the “Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse” model.

I have chosen to write in English to make this thread widely available. Apart from that I think the pictures are largely self explanatory.
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

erasmus

Fortgeschrittener

• »erasmus« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 8. August 2009, 12:21

Cutting the parts

Cut the parts on the inside of the line such that the edges of the parts are free from black color.
This is particularly important for the two edges of the tube that later join to form the tube and for the rear curve of the intake part. On all other edges it is a matter of taste I guess.

For cutting the two joining edges of the tube slightly tilt the blade inwards to obtain a wedge shaped cut. This will result in a join without a gap when the tube is curved into shape.

The jagged top edge of the tube part is not a problem as this will be cut to shape later.

Seal the edges of the parts with diluted white glue to prevent delamination of the card material.
»erasmus« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • vent_cut_parts_1_070809.jpg
  • vent_cut_parts_2_070809.jpg
  • vent_cut_parts_wedge_070809.jpg
  • vent_seal_parts_070809.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »erasmus« (8. August 2009, 13:10)

erasmus

Fortgeschrittener

• »erasmus« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 8. August 2009, 12:25

Shaping the tube

Moisten the part on the rear. Do not soak as this will lead to surface damage when the part is formed into shape.

Start curving the part by pressing and rolling it with a rod (I used the rear end of a paint brush) in the palm of your hand. After the part has received this initial curve complete the job by applying the same technique on a smaller scale with a needle and your fingertip.
Continue until the join is evenly closed and there is no tension left in the material.

Leave the tube to dry and firm up.
  • vent_moist_tube_070809.jpg
  • vent_curve_tube_1_070809.jpg
  • vent_curve_tube_2_070809.jpg

erasmus

Fortgeschrittener

• »erasmus« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 8. August 2009, 12:29

Closing the tube

Apply a drop of diluted while glue to the inside of the tube and spread it through the gap.
The glue should be diluted far enough (without losing its adhesive capability) to allow the gap to act as a capillary and soak in the glue.

Gently press to close the gap. The diluted glue weakens the edges of the tube. To prevent these edges from bulging outwards hold them in place with a flat object (I used the rear end of a pair of pincers).
Hold until the glue has set .

Less is more here. A minimal amount of glue will have least impact on edge firmness and minimise glue setting time and with that minimise the time force needs to applied to the tube.
  • vent_glue_tube_1_070809.jpg
  • vent_glue_tube_2_070809.jpg
  • vent_join_tube_070809.jpg
  • vent_compl_tube_070809.jpg

erasmus

Fortgeschrittener

• »erasmus« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 8. August 2009, 12:32

The intake

Curve the intake with a needle on your fingertip. I do not moisten this part as it delaminates very easily when moist. It also does not need moistening as, being long and narrow, it curves very easily.

The edges need not join evenly after shaping. I have tried this but the prolonged pressure I had to apply lead to surface damage.

The edges are made to join with two pairs of pincers.
There will be some tension left in the material when the edges are joined so the white glue applied here will have to be a little bit heavier.
  • vent_curve_intake_070809.jpg
  • vent_glue_intake_070809.jpg
  • vent_join_intake_070809.jpg

erasmus

Fortgeschrittener

• »erasmus« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 8. August 2009, 12:35

Matching the tube and intake

The tube and intake do not match.

I want to build it as close to the assembly instruction as possible (although I suspect this assembly drawing allows for two parts to occupy the same space at the same time).

Some additional part shaping is required.
  • vent_match_1_070809.jpg
  • vent_match_2_070809.jpg
  • vent_assy_instr_070809.jpg

erasmus

Fortgeschrittener

• »erasmus« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 8. August 2009, 12:39

Shaping the tube (1)

With a used razor blade two cuts are applied to the top of the tube.

Judging the position and the angle of these cuts requires some practice and even then it remains difficult to get it right all the time with parts this size......
  • vent_tube_cut_11_070809.jpg
  • vent_tube_cut_21_070809.jpg
  • vent_tube_cut_1and2_070809.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »erasmus« (8. August 2009, 19:53)

erasmus

Fortgeschrittener

• »erasmus« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 8. August 2009, 12:42

Shaping the tube (2)

A third cut is applied to shave off (no pun intended :D) some material from the top of the tube in order to obtain a smooth edge to the arc shaped top of the tube.
  • vent_tube_cut_31_070809.jpg
  • vent_tube_cut_1to3_070809.jpg

erasmus

Fortgeschrittener

• »erasmus« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 8. August 2009, 12:45

Joining tube and intake

Generously apply white glue to the top of the tube and push the intake part in place.

The glue softens up the card material and makes it easier to push it into shape. The (excess) white glue dries transparently

Shape the intake part such that the rear opening is covered by the arc shaped top of the tube (now is the time to find out whether the tube was shaped correctly...).
  • vent_join_both_1_070809.jpg
  • vent_join_both_2_070809.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »erasmus« (8. August 2009, 12:47)

erasmus

Fortgeschrittener

• »erasmus« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 8. August 2009, 12:52

Results

Please bear in mind that these are macro pictures.....

Close observation shows that the arc shaped top of the tube might have been a little bit larger and that the white glue has left a bit of a rim where tube and intake join. This can be prevented by applying white glue that is a bit more fluid.

At the bottom the intake is not quite circle shaped yet. Nothing a gentle squeeze with a pair of pincers won’t solve....

Applying paint is a good idea for the inside of the intake (acrylic).
For the join on the outside it is a matter of taste I guess. A perfect join is possible, it would not require any additional paint.

Paint will cover up any imperfections but also leaves a bit of a rim at the join. I use gouache here as this type of paint provides the best cover. It is very susceptible to damage though so I always protect it with a cover of diluted white glue.

That’s it. I trust it will be useful.

Kind regards,

Bruno
  • vent_views_070809.jpg
  • vent_paint_070809.jpg

Geda

Fortgeschrittener

• »Geda« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 22. November 2008

Beruf: Vermessungsingenieur

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 8. August 2009, 13:48

Hallo,

leider kann ich nur mal in Deutsch schreiben. Danke erst ein mal für das Tutorial.

Probleme die bei mir beim anfertigen von kleinen Röhren auftreten, z.B. solche Lüfter mit 3-4mm Durchmesser sind folgende.
De volgende problemen heb ik bij het maken van kleine buisvormige onderdelen met 3-4 mm doorsnede:

Auch nur mit dem geringsten Anfeuchten endete das bei mir mit einem Fehlschlag. Da weichten sofort die Schnittkanten auf und gingen schon bei 1-2 mal rollen auseinander.
Darauf hab ich dann verzichtet, aber leider kam es dann später auch wieder zum aufspalten des Kartons bzw. der Schnittkannte. Ich bin beim Runden eigentlich so wie in der Beschreibung vorgegangen, hab als immer kleiner Durchmesser verwendet.
Ist das vielleicht ein Problem des Kartons. Zuletzt hatte ich das mit einem Answermodell.
Al bij het geringste bevochtigen van het onderdeel resulteerde dit in een mislukking. De snijkanten werden week en al na 1-2 keer rollen splitsten deze zich.
Dit heb ik daarna niet meer gedaan, maar helaas, ook dit leidde tot splitsen van het papier/karton, respectievelijk de snijkanten. Ik heb de methode gevolgd zoals in de beschrijving staat, en heb steeds een kleine doorsnede gekozen.
is dit wellicht een probleem dat te maken heeft met het karton. Ik hat dit probleem onlangs bij een model van Answer.

Vielleicht kann sich Erasmus noch mal speziell dazu äussern od. hat noch einen Ratschlag parat.
Heeft Gerrit Gerritsz hier misschien nog een advies paraat? Bij voorbaat dank
mit freundlichen Grüssen

Gerd

• »Royaloakmin« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 24. Oktober 2006

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 8. August 2009, 15:09

Bruno, this is excellent! Thanks for taking the time to share your techniques. This is why your WdG is a masterwork.
best regards
mit herzlichen grussen

Fred

In Build:
Panzerkreuzer Infanta Maria Teresa

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Royaloakmin« (8. August 2009, 15:11)

Jochen Halbey

Fortgeschrittener

• »Jochen Halbey« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 18. Februar 2006

Beruf: Rentner

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 8. August 2009, 22:35

BITTE NICHT ÜBERSETZEN, ERASMUS MACHT GERADE EINEN VORZÜGLICHEN BAUBERICHT IN ALLERBESTEM DEUTSCH !!!

Moin Bruno,

da du dich an die Verbesserung von Lüftern herangewagt hast, will ich auch zwei Möglichkeiten zur Verbesserung beitragen.

Zunächst ganz kleine Lüfter. Da benutze ich Polysterol-Stäbchen von Rai-Ro, z.B. etwa 2 mm Durchmesser. Bild 001 zeigt ein Karton-Segment, das ich von Piet's Download-Lüftern der ALTMARK auf Kopierpapier erstellt habe, verkleinert nach der Pi-Regel auf die entsprechende Größe, dann wurde das oberste Segment mit Bleistift abgeändert. Das Polysterol-Teil wurde oben zur halben Dicke reduziert und an der verbliebenen Seite rund geschliffen. Das Karton-Stückchen, das vorher einseitig mit farblosem Mattlack bestrichen wurde, wird nun an das bearbeiterte Polysterol-Stückchen aufgeklebt (Bild 002). Danach wurden die Riefen und Schlitze mit Wiccoll ausgeformt, geschliffen und schließlich innen und außen lackiert (Bild 003).

Bei größeren Lüftern verwende ich Scans der Originalteile, wieder auf Kopierpapier und einseitig mit farblosem Mattlack behandelt. Dann kommt wieder Wiccoll zum Einsatz: innen an den Nahtstellen, außen zwischen den Nahtstellen. Wenn das Ganze gut ausgetrocknet ist, kann man wunderbar mit 800-er Naßschleifpapier schleifen. Eventuell wiederholen. Danach innen und außen lackieren.

Hier ein paar Beispiele: Schlepper DANZIG, Fischereischutzboot MEERKATZE, Lotsendampfer DITMAR KOEL.

Schöne Grüße

Jochen
»Jochen Halbey« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • 001.jpg
  • 002.jpg
  • 004.jpg
  • Danzig 51.jpg
  • Danzig 52.jpg
  • Ditmar Koel 29.jpg

Jochen Halbey

Fortgeschrittener

• »Jochen Halbey« ist männlich