Kiji answer 1:200

• Hello Yu,
    First of all i must say that your Kiji really is very beautiful. You have build it very fine, with a lot of little details.
    And to one of these details i have a question: The rigging.
    Witch material do you use for making the rigging?
    greetings
    olli
    P.S. could you please post more pics of your Kiji.
    I have two causes for my demand, first: I like the elegant design of the WW2 Imperial Japanese Navy Ships, second: I plan to build the Kiji myself...

• I agree! Yu's models ask for more. How about offering to make some KMPs from his models? Jan was recently looking for more pictures for new KMPs on airplane models, and Yu would be a gold mine for that!

Best,

Matthias

• Hello Olli, Glue me and MHBS,

First of all, thank you for your kind words.

I used threads extracted from pantyhose for rigging.

One problem of pantyhose thread is that where it is taken up tightly there is no problem but where loosen the thread shrinks as you can see in close up photo.

To eliminate this, for 1:430 Takao which is posted in this forum, first I put threads on kind of jig applying tension then painted them with lacquer for plastic model several times. After lacquer dried they do not shrink.

Another problem of pantyhose thread is that I feel awkward to buy them at a shop. I fear if shopkeeper thinks me as a person of strange proclivities or a person who are planning bank robbery putting pantyhose on face.

On ship modeling I am still novice and trying to find out useful material especially for rigging, hand rail and ladders.

I would be happy if you could give me your feed back after trying or advise me better material if you have.

It is my great pleasure if my information will be of any help to you.

If you have any question, please do not hesitate to ask me anytime so that we together could find out better way of modeling ship.

Now it is lunch time in Japan. After coming back home I am posting more photos for your reference.

By the way, may I ask what is KMP?

Good luck

• Hi Freunde!

Here you are.

It's raining all day today in Tokyo.
    Japanese Meteorological bureau declared rainy season has started from today.
    I feel blue this season because card model is deteriorated by damp.
    Compared to German card model fans I have handicap. I think Germany has no rainy season.

You will see works of not good workmanship on the photos. It's not my fault. It's caused by damp.

Wow. I made huge mistake. Those photos were obviously taken outside on sunny day. No rain.

I glued under water skins together before glueing them on frame to make their surface smooth though it might be foolish idea.

Best regards,

• Dear Matthias,

I came back from KMPs.
    There I found out John Dohmen's Takao.
    It was Digital Navy's site I saw it for the first time and was attracted by it at first glance. When I made it I refered to John Dohmen's works. It was really superb.
    I copied his idea to put boat beside Takao.
    My work is not satisfactory. Some day I want to try again.

Thank you for your information.

Best regards,

• Hello Yu,

your skills are -once again- mind boggling. I have often studied my copy of Kiji and wondered how I should do the tiny tiny depth-charges (?). You did a marvellous job there.

You are right, moisture is the enemy of all card models. Well technically we have no rainy season in Germany, but there are enough regions which receive rain regularly, Bremen, where I am posting from, is among them, although this year the weather is superb.

Just one question from my side: where there any problems with the model, any parts which did not fit well?

Zaphod

• Hello Yu,

you make very fine Ships is for me a graet Work Congratulation

Have in Munich a Stammtisch for Diskurs all the Cardmodeling this Day have i make Pictures of two Small-Ships Minensuchboot M35 and Kanonenboot Natter is unter Construktion and a little Dampfbarkasse.

Kartonmodellbauer-Treffen in und um München

You look Page 11

Regards
    Ernst

Edited once, last by Ernst ().

• Hi Zaphod,

Vielen Dank für Dein Kompliment

As far as I remember, there were no pats that did not fit well. All parts fit well.
    Yes, it was exhausting to make tiny depth charges. They were so tiny that I had to hold my breath when I glue fins on them. It took about 20 hours to make 32 depth charges. When I finished 32nd I was delighted and slipped into self-complacency so much but, when I completed entire ship, I was disappointed because those tiny depth charges I made taking a trouble were not visible hidden behind the boats. :(

Good luck

• Hello Ernst,

I am very happy about complement that veteran modeler like you give me.

I took a look at beautifully made Minensuchboot M35, Kanonenboot Natter and little Dampfbarkasse in your thread.

Looking at beautifully made Natter, I feel like I want to make navy ship built late 19 century. In Yokosuka city, which is located about 2 hour drive from my home, battle ship Mikasa is on display. This ship was built in U.K. and was flag ship of Japanese navy when they battled Japanese-Russo War. GPM publishes homotype Shikishima.
    I will buy HMV's Natter first then Shikishima.

Thank you showing your nice pictures.

Best regards,

• Hello Yu,

This Ships is not me Construction.

The Construction from the Natter and the little Dampfbarkasse is from Member Achim.

And the M35 is a Construction from Herrn Müller This is the Besitzer from the cfm-Verlag.

I make only this Day Pictures of this Models, me Construction is at the Home to waiting the Ship "PARIS" and "LCM3", siehe unter Bauberichte.

Seh yuor Ships an Flyer all times my Eyes on the Monitor and me second Tish "Zähne" in the Floor im onlly happy you seh yours new Pictures.

Sorry of me bad english.

Regards
    Ernst

• Hello Yu,

thank you for your information.

The Natter is a charming little ship. The design is pretty good with some minor flaws.
    As far as I know nobody at our forum has tried the Shikishima yet. I have the model at home, print and details are fine, she should make for a superb model.

Greetings from Bremen

Zaphod

• Hello Zaphod,

I found out interesting article about Shikishima and Mikasa.
    Both were built in UK. Steel employed for Shikishima was Harvey steel and the steel empoyed for Mikasa was nickel-chromium steel developed by Thyssen-Krupp. Compared to Shikishima, Mikasa's defence capability was built up.
    German steel surpassed American (I guess Harvey might be Amenrican?)

Regards,

• Hello, Yu

Thanks for the other pics. The thread I am using is surgeon's silk. You can have it in various sizes, and it does not shrink. So you can shop panties just for the fun of it ;) ;) ;)
    I only know shops in German that have it. But maybe you'll find a hospital's supply shop nearby.

Best regards, Gloomy

• Hello Gloomy,

Thanks a lot for your information. I will try.
    Hummm. I miss the excuse of buying panties :(.
    Say, recently I learned a Japanese modeller use surgeon's silk for waterproof canvas of cannon barrel.

Best regards,