Reims Cathedral / L´Instant Durable / 1:250 [FERTIG]

• I marvel at the scale of this structure. This shot shows the bases of the pilasters standing, in scale, over 7 cm tall. This model is scaled 2.5 meters/cm. These blocks of stone stand well over seventeen meters high. Incredible.

Ich bewundere die Ausmaße dieses Baus. Das Bild zeigt, daß diese Sockel über 7cm hoch sind. Das Modell hat einen Maßstab von 2,5 Metern pro cm. Diese Steinblöcke sind über 17m hoch. Unglaublich.

• @Jan, ich häng mich hier mal dran

Original von John
    Thank you again Jan for translating these postings. I appreciate the time and effort required to do this. You are most kind. It is through your efforts that I am able to communicate and receive much good will and fellowship on this forum. Thank you.
    John

wenn ich Johns Text lese, denke ich oft "mannomann, wenn ich das jetzt übersetzen müsste, mit den vielen Fachausdrücken!" und das, obwohl mein Alltagsenglisch eigentlich ganz passabel ist. Daher an dieser Stelle auch einen Dank von mir =D> =D> =D>
    Du hast meine architektonischen Englischkenntnisse schon stark erweitert!

Gruß

Günter

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gruß

Günter

• Here is a shot of the two massive plinths on the side of the south tower. I am sure that the original artwork represented here was handpainted with watercolours. It is beautifully done. You can see the subtle colours of the stone layers. I looked up this kind of masonry. It is called ashlar masonry which is masonry construction using a square stone. It involved the practice of laying stone in smooth cut or dressed blocks in regular courses, separated by only the thinnest of joints. It is an important element of classical architecture.

Hier ein Bild der zwei massiven Sockel an der Seite des Südturms. Ich bin mir sicher, daß die Vorlage für den Druck hier mit Wasserfarben handgemalt war. Es ist wunderschön ausgeführt. Man kann die zarte Schichtung des Gesteins erkennen. Ich habe mal nach dieser Art Mauerwerk gesucht. Es nennt sich Quaderstein Mauerwerk, wo das Mauerwerk aus quadratischen Steinen aufgebaut wird. Es beinhaltet das Auslegen der fein geschnittenen oder gehauenen Steine in regelmäßigem Muster, nur durch kleinste Spalte getrennt. Es ist ein wichtiges Element der klassischen Architektur.

• The porch is comprised of three deep, gothic arched entrances to the cathedral. The panel above each arch (tympanum) is heavily decorated.

Das Hauptportal besteht aus drei tiefen Eingängen, überspannt von gothischen Bögen. Der Bereich über jedem Portal ist wundervoll verziert.

Images

• The Porch.jpg
  • The three entrance panels attached to their doors, ready to be joined together by the connecting, decorated masonry...

Die drei Portalbögen sind mit den Toren verbunden, fertig, um mit dem dekorierten Mauerwerk verbunden zu werden.

• I was not sure how the back side of the porch was constructed. By the way, this brings up an interesting point. On these French models, there are no diagrams - just photographs. In this case, no pictures zeroed in on the back of the porch.
    It features an interesting construction detail. The arches come right through the floor or roof above them. They are then covered with triangular hoods.

Ich war mir nicht sicher, wie die Rückseite des Eingangsportals gebaut wurde. Übrigens, das bringt mich auf einen interessanten Punkt. Bei diesen französichen Modellen gibt es keine Zeichnungen, nur Photos. In diesem Fall gab es keine Nahaufnahme der Rückseite dieses Portals.
    Dieses enthält ein intereassantes Konstruktionsdetail. Die Bögen stoßen direkt durch den Boden des Daches über ihnen. Sie werden dann mit dreieckigen Dächern abgedeckt.

Originally posted by John
    A beautilful build Ricleite.

It looks we followed a slightly different approach for building the Porch. I enclose a construction picture of the same assembly. Just a trick: I always cut the tabs on convex surfaces in a simpler way because tab bits will not overlap. The same shouldn't be done on concave surfaces, like those that are to be glued to the doors.

Es sieht aus als wären wir verschiedene Wege beim Bau des Eingangsportals gegangen. Ich habe ein Bild des Zusammenbaus derselben Stelle angehängt. Noch ein Trick: Ich schneide die Klebelaschen bei konvexen Flächen immer einfacher aus, weil sie nicht überlappen. Dasselbe sollte man nicht mit konkaven Fläche machen, wie bei denen, die mit den Toren verklebt werden.

• Thanks for the tip.
    Yes, I think we have different styles of building. I like your clean presentation of parts in your second photo. I also like the triangular templates between the arches. We think alike there. It will be nice to have a resource when I run into troubles!

Here is the completed back side of the porch.

Danke für den Tipp.
    Ja, ich denke wir haben unterschiedliche Baustile. Ich mag deine übersichtliche Darstellung der Teile im zweiten Bild. Mir gefallen auch die dreieckigen Schablonen zwischen den Bögen. Ich glaube hier sind wir einer Meinung. Es wird sich auszahlen, so eine Quelle zu haben, wenn ich auf Probleme stosse.
    Hier ist die fertige Rückseite des Eingangsportals.

• The Pilasters that support the towers are richly adorned. The upper portions are solid, but the lower sections extend out into little hollow towers that house statuary. They are capped with pinnacles. Quite beautiful. I found the pinnacles extended too far. A notch was cut in them to allow them the sit properly.

Die Säulen welche die Türme stützen sind reich verziert. Die oberen Bereich sind massiv, aber die unteren Sektionen erstrecken sich in kleine hohle Türme, welche Statuen enthalten. Sie targen Zinnen. Sehr schön. Ich habe gemerkt, daß die Zinnen nicht passen. Eine Kerbe wurde ausgeschnitten, damit sie korrekt sitzen.

• john, this is a fantastic work! =D> =D> =D> =D>

i love these french gothic cathedrals!!! they are fantastic. have you ever seen notre dame in paris (the real one, not the model)? when you walk through this cathedral and watch the architecture the first you think: how do they made this in the 11th and 12th century without all those modern machines?

and there is allso the huntchback somewhere looking at you :)

die Zukunft geschieht, egal was man tut

• Another small difference, here: I used small card bits at the base of the statues to ensure they they remain vertical, after glueing. They can be seen from the side and, as a consequence, don't look as pretty as yours. Maybe the idea is better for the side statues, because you would have to choose a very odd angle to spot those card bits...

Hier noch ein anderer kleiner Unterschied. Ich verwende kleine Kartonstücke am Fuß der Statuen, um sicherzustellen, daß sie nach dem Kleben senkrecht bleiben. Man kann sie von der Seite sehen und sehen deshalb auch nicht so schön wie deine aus. Vielleicht taugt diese Idee mehr für die Statuen an der Seite, weil man hier in einem eigenartigen Winkel schauen muss, um die Kartonstücke zu sehen.

• Hello Walter.
    I too, marvel at these amazing cathedrals. They represent perhaps some of the grandest architectural achievements in history. I highly recommend a book entitled: "CATHEDRAL The Story of Its Construction", by David Macaulay, Houghton Mifflin Co. Boston/1973. ISBN 0-395-17513-5

David sketches in pen and ink. One of my favourite drawings is of the great wheel being used high up in the nave rafters to lift up the centerings. A book well work owning. It's probably in your library.
    John

Edited 3 times, last by John ().

• Hello Ricleite,
    I wrestled with what to do with the little statues as well. The ones in these photos so far have no support. But bending a little tab 90 degrees and expecting the part to stand vertical is asking a lot. You are actually creating a spring at the bend. You are right about people not seeing a back support along the aisles.

I am trying a little dowel (1mm dia.) that has been sanded half round. Pictured below.
    John

Hallo Ricleite,
    ich habe auch mit dem Problem der Statuen gekämpft. Die auf diesen Bildern haben bis jetzt noch keine Verstärkung. Aber einen Klebestreifen um 90 Grad zu biegen und dann zu erwarten, daß er senkrecht stehen bleibt, ist etwas zu viel verlangt. Man erzeugt im Knick im Grunde eine kleine Feder. Aber du hast recht damit, daß man die Verstärkung am Seitenschiff nicht sehen kann.
    Ich versuchs mit einem kleinen Dübel (1mm Durchm.), der halbrund geschliffen wurde. Siehe Bild unten.

• Hello John,

Yes, the little dowel looks a good idea as well because, from the side, it gives a useful hint of thickness for the statues =D> A lot of precise work, indeed!

I often paint the back of some parts with a soft pencil before cutting. Painting them with a pencil after cutting is sometimes dangerous because some parts are very thin. I enclose a couple of examples. Edge painting is not feasible with pencils (at least not with me...) so, in these cases, I use an ABT pen.

Hallo John,
    ja, der kleine Dübel ist eine gute Idee, weil er von der Seite ein Gefühl für die Tiefe der Figur vermittelt. Sehr präzise Arbeit, wirklich!
    Ich färbe vor dem Ausschneiden oftmals die Rückseiten einiger Teile mit einem weichen Farbstift ein. Das Einfärben nach dem Ausschneiden ist manchmal recht gefährlich, weil die Teile sehr dünn sind. Ich habe ein paar Beispiele angehängt. Das Kantenfärben klappt mit Farbstiften jedoch nicht (zumindest krieg ich das nicht hin), in diesem Fall nehme ich also einen ABT Stift.

• Hello Ricleite,
    Great photos. The photo on the right makes me think of what it might have been like on an actual work site. Many pieces of rough and dressed ashlar stone parts stockpiled and lying about. You can imagine many apprentices here working under the watchful eye of master masons. The pictures add much to this thread. Thank you.

Hallo ricleite,
    großartige Bilder. Das Photo rechts vermittelt einen Eindruck wie es auf der tatsächlichen Baustelle ausgesehen haben könnte. Viele Stück grob zugehauener Steinquader übereinandergestapelt und zurechtgelegt. Man kann sich hier vostellen wie viele Lehrlinge unter den Argusaugen ihrer Meister arbeiten. Die Bilder werten diesen Thread wirklich auf. Dankeschön.

• hi John,
    i just have to say i had exactly the same idea when i saw the photo...

ich muss sagen, ich hatte denselben Gedanken als ich das Bild gesehen habe.

P.

Burn the land and boil the sea
    You cant take the sky from me

• The half round supports behind the statues should work for the many buttresses to yet be made, but they require some refinement. They need not be full to the shoulder and cut bluntly off. (see photo above) The picture below shows an experimental one where the half round is skived down from half round to a thin flat profile. (like a woodwind reed). Much lighter in appearance.

Die halbrunden Verstärkungen hinter den Statuen sollten für die vielen Verstrebungen, die noch folgen, funktionieren, aber sie müssen noch verfeinert werden. Sie brauchen nicht die komplette Stärke bis zur Schulter wie oben. Das Bild unten zeigt ein Experiment, wo die Rundung am Ende dünn geschliffen wurde. Ergibt eine sehr viel leichtere Erscheinung.

• The porch is complete. I think I have learned a new term. The arch above the door is called a voussoir. There may be no tympanum here. The rose rose window is occupying its space. I know a tympanum is a decorated panel above the door. ( i.e. Berlin Cathedral )

Der Toreingang ist fertig. Ich glaube ich habe ein neues Wort gelernt. Der Bogen über dem Tor heisst Voussoir. Hier gibt es evtl gar kein Tympanum. Das Rosenfenster nimmt dessen Platz ein. Ich weiss, dass ein Tympanum ein verziertes Feld über dem Tor ist(z.B. bei der Berliner Kathedrale)

• I was wondered about the tympanum in the above post. Apparently, the tympanum area was pierced with a window to illuminate the nave which was darkened by the western towers. The tympanum imagery was transferred to the gables of the porch. (Tympanums were used to convey the stories of the bible in iconic form.)
    After Reims, they must have reverted back to the traditional location of the tympanum. "...the Church prefered to maintain the traditional educational role of the tympanon within a society which was for the most part illiterate." (Bertrand Goguel, Architecte et Urbaniste en Chef de l'Etat Conservateur de la cathedrale de Reims)

Im obigen Beitrag hatte ich mich über das Tympanum gewundert. Offensichtlich war der Bereich des Tympanums noch durchbrochen von einem Fenster, um das Hauptschiff zu beleuchten, welches von den westlichen Türmen verdunkelt wurde. Die Bilder des Tympanum wurden stattdessen auf den Giebeln des Eingangs angebracht. (Das Tympanum wurde benutzt um die biblische Geschichte in Ikonen darzustellen.) Nach der Reims muss man wohl zu der traditionellen Position des Tympanums zurückgekehrt sein. die Kirche bevorzugte mehr die traditionelle bildende Rolle des Tympanums in der Gemeinde, welche größtenteils des Lesens nicht mächtig war.(Bertrand Goguel, Architecte et Urbaniste en Chef de l'Etat Conservateur de la cathedrale de Reims)

• I have come upon an unusual oversight for a model of this calibre. There is a blank unprinted section directly below an arch just behind the west towers. I thought I had missed or lost a part to cover it. However, the published photos in the book show it as well. This area will be covered with extra parts that have the same colouring.

Ich habe einen ungewöhnlichen Fehler für ein Modell dieser Größe gefunden. Es gibt eine weisse unbedruckte Stelle hinter den westlichen Türmen. Ich dachte zuerst ein Teil vergessen oder verloren zu haben. Dies Stelle ist auf den gedruckten Bildern jedoch auch zu finden. Dieser Bereich wird also mit einigen extra Teilen gleicher Farbe verdeckt.

• The tower slipped in between the transept and the aisle. Usually fitting a part between two other existing parts requires cutting in.

Der Turm passt saugend zwischen Quer- und Seitenschiff. Normalerweise erfordert das Einpassen eines solchen Teils zwischen zwei andere Teile einige Einschnitte.

Images

• Aisle Roof fit.jpg

Edited once, last by John ().

• When you actually build this cathedral, you begin to realize the differences in the parts. The north and the south transept entrances bear no similarities. Obviously the north side is the show side and the south, the 'back' door.
    A north tower...

Wenn man diese Kathedrale tatsächlich baut, fängt man an die Unterschiede in den Teilen zu realisieren. Die Nord- und der Südturm des Querschiffes haben eigentlich gar keine Gemeinsamkeiten. Offensichtlich ist die Nordseite die Vorzeige-Seite und die Südseite der "Hintereingang".
    Ein Nordturm...

• Hello John,

absolut awesome work !!!!!!!

As far as I recall there is a book by David macauly "Cahthedral. The story of its construction" which describes with excellent hand-drawn pictures how a cathedral in Medieval France (I guess it was Chutreaux) was built.

Zaphod

• Hello Zaphod,
    Thank you. Yes, if you look furthur up in the posts here, you will see my reference to this book, its publisher and ISBN number. David is a master at this style of drawing.
    John

• I've been taking a lot of close up shots of parts and realize that it's easy to get confused with all these towers unless you step back and look at the whole structure. I'll take a few overall shots. (I am noticing that with so much white, it's easy to wash out the pictures. Need more contrast in the long shots.)
    John

Ich habe viele Nahaufnahmen von Teilen gemacht, bis mir aufgefallen ist, daß man mit all diesen Türmen schnell durcheinander kommt, solange man nicht einen Schritt zurücktritt und das gesamte Gebäude betrachtet. Ich werde mal einige Totalen aufnehmen. (Mir ist aufgefallen, daß man bei so viel Weiss schnell verwaschene Aufnahmen bekommt. Für die Totalen brauche ich mehr Kontrast.)

Edited 2 times, last by John ().