Building Jan Müller's DH88 Comet - in 1/16 scale (finished)

• Das mit der Stichsäge ist eine prima Idee - hab ich zwar nicht, aber ich habe eine (Hand) Laubsäge - damit will ich mal rumprobieren!

:usenglish: I like the idea of cutting out the thick bits with a power fret saw. Unfortunately I don't have one - but I have the old manual kind. I guess I'll mess around with that and see where it gets me!

Cheers,

Oliver

• Leif,

Wondered where you'd gone off to! And Lo! here you are turning out another 1:16 masterpiece! I've also caught the scaling bug and am working on a Digital Navy Boeing P-26 "Peashooter". Also caught-up in Eric GoedKoop's quest for a method to make authentic looking spoked wheels...,

Nice work on the compass binnacles. By the way good electrical connectors can be made from telescoping brass tubing. Insure good electrical contact by lightly running a tubing cutter around the outside tube making several rings.The soldered ends can be wrapped with thin paper making the hole affair look like a welders or auxiallary power connector. Insulated wire used for multimeter probes make an excellent mock power cable. It's very flexible and will lay right in the scene.

-Gil

• Hello Gil!

How very nice to see you here, too! I've noticed you were already registered, and have already in this thread referred to one of your many excellent techniques; hope to see many more of them.

The Peashooter is such a colourful and beautiful aircraft, isn't it? I remember well that it figured on the front page of the first issue ever I got as a then new subscriber to British Aeromodeller, way back in 1959. I do look forward to a building report of that model.

I have followed the thread about spoked wheels on Cardmodels.net as well. Let's make sure that we report it properly here, too, as soon as Eric Goedkoop and you have published the results of your little competition on writing a "how to" manual for those masterpieces.

Hope to hear from you soon again! - Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• Hi Gil, Hi Leif,
    I haven't gone through all the links, so this maybe obsolete, but I have done spoked wheels too. A few years ago I wrote this tutorial. The wheels are made for indoor RC planes, but may the technique can be adopted in a way.
    Regards
    Jan

Hi Gil, Hi Leif,
    ich bin jetzt nicht alle links durchgegangen, also könnte das jetzt überflüssig sein, aber ich habe auch mal Speichenräder gemacht. Dazu habe ich vor ein paar Jahren mal diese Anleitung geschrieben. Die Räder waren für Indoor RC Flieger gedacht, aber vielleicht kann man ja einige Techniken übernehmen.
    Gruß
    Jan

• Nice work, Jan! Studied that once, but forgot it was there. The intriguing part about Eric Goedkoop's wheels is that he's doing them in 1/50 scale and paper - which boggles the mind, and indeed wets your appetite. If he can do it in 1/50, even I should be able to do it in 1/16. So I am eagerly waiting...

Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• 7. Corrective surgery to the bottom of the cockpit section

Turns out it wasn't the last time I saw the LED leadouts inside the closed part of the cockpit section after all. Cutting it open in order to correct the fit, I just managed to miss them with the knive (but I did check that the cockpit lighting worked afterwards!).

7. Schönheits-OP an der Cockpitunterseite

Wie sich herausstellte, war es doch nicht das letzte Mal, daß ich die LED Kabel in der geschlossenen Cockpitsektion gesehen habe. Beim Aufschneiden zur Korrektur der Passung, habe ich es gerade so geschafft sie mit dem Messer zu verfehlen (ich habe aber danach trotzdem nochmal kontrolliert, ob sie noch funktionieren!).

[Attachment 1 below]

After trimming the now two bottom parts slightly (you can see the trimmings below), a new joining strip was made and glued to one of the parts:

Nachdem die beiden Bodenteile leicht gekürzt wurden (man kann die beiden Schnipsel am Boden sehen), habe ich einen neuen Klebestreifen hergestellt und an eins der beiden Teile geklebt.

[Attachment 2 below]

Closing the inside shell again, this time tight against the formers, the seam is adequate. There is a small gap, but that won't matter when the outer shell goes on.

Die Schale wurde wieder verklebt, dieses Mal abschließend mit den Spanten, der Spalt ist annehmbar. Da ist noch ein kleiner Schlitz, aber das macht nichts, wenn die Aussenschale drauf kommt.

[Attachment 3 below]

I feel much better about the rest of the build now. If any trimming of the outer parts becomes necessary, it will probably not be a problem, since the bottom parts are uniformly red, so there won't be any mismatch of patterns.

Jetzt fühle ich mich hinsichtlich des Weiterbaus wesentlich besser. Wenn jetzt noch Zuschnitte der äußeren Teile nötig werden, wird das kein Problem darstellen, zumal die unteren Teile alle gleichförmig rot sind. Es wird also keinen Versatz bei Beschriftungen geben.

Leif

• 8. Front part of the fuselage framwork

Assembling the framework sections of the forward part of the fuselage, I suddenly realized why I had been feeling slightly uncomfortable already about the rear part of the fuselage. The design method unfortunately is an open invitation to misalignments when assembling the separate sections.

8. Vorderteil des Rumpfskeletts

Beim Zusammenbau der Gerüstteile des vorderen Rumpfteils ist mir plötzlich klargeworden, warum ich mich beim hinteren Teil des Rumpfes schon so unwohl gefühlt habe. Die Bauweise ist leider eine offene Einladung für Fehlausrichtungen beim Zusammenbau der einzelnen Sektionen.

[Photo 1 below]

It is very difficult to get the sections to join up squarely, and a lot of careful trimming and sanding of all those tabs is necessary to make the sections join really butt square.

Es ist sehr schwierig die einzelnen Sektionen senkrecht aufeinander auszurichten und es erfordert eine Menge vorsichtiges Anpassen und zurechtschleifen der ganzen Stege, damit die Sektionen wirklich ganz senkrecht werden.

[Photo 2 below]

Be sure to make lots of sightings when joining the sections, not least when joining the whole assembly to the rest of the fuselage!

Beim Zusammenfügen der Sektionen muss man unbedingt aus vielen Richtungen schauen, erst recht wenn man alles zu einem kompletten Rumpf zusammenfügt.

Feedback on the design

Jan, for the future, might there not be a way of rethinking this design method - how about making the vertical keels of the fore and aft fuselage parts as one separate part each (including the fin)? The formers could then be egg-crated on to the vertical keel (from below would be best, it seems). Finally the horizontal keels could be egg-crated onto the assembly of vertical keel and formers, one from each side.

That way, you would get away with three simple keel parts for the aft fuselage (plus two formers). And all parts would still easily fit your standard print sheets.

The foreward fuselage might need the horizontal keels to be divided (or perhaps just scoring would do the job), since there is a sharp break, but even so you would be able to loose A LOT of those pesky tabs & slots. Plus minimizing the risk of misalignment - although the builder would of course still have to take responsibility for taking careful sightings when joining the fore & aft sections to the centre cockpit section.

End of complaining - and all is indeed well, that ends well!:

Feedback zur Konstruktion

Jan, vielleicht kannst du diese Bauweise für die Zukunft überdenken - wie wäre es die vertikalen Teile des vorderen und hinteren Rumpfes jeweils als ein einzelnes Teil zu machen inklusive der Seitenflosse? Die Spanten könnten dann am besten von unten aufgesteckt werden. Die horizontalen Spanten könnten dann von der Seite auf die schon vorhandenen aufgeschoben werden.

Auf diese Weise könnte man das Ganze auf drei einfache Teile plus zwei Spanten für den hinteren Teil des Rumpfes reduzieren. Und alle Teile würden immer noch auf normales Standardpapier passen.

Beim vorderen Teil müsste man die horizontalen Spanten wohl teilen, weil da ein sehr scharfer Knick ist, obwohl es vielleicht auch nur mit einschneiden gehen würde. Aber auch so würde es eine Menge dieser nervtötenden Schlitze und Stege eliminieren. Ausserdem würde es das Risiko des Fehlausrichtens minimieren - auch wenn der Modellbauer immer noch vorsichtig sein muss beim Zusammenfügen der drei Sektionen.

Ende der Beschwerde - ausserdem hat tatsächlich alles ein gutes Ende.

[Photo 3 below]

The Comet fuselage framework is now rather impressive - already longer than my standard size cutting mat - and the rudder and nose sections are still to come.

You can see that I have made some extra cut-outs above the wing-root position, since I anticipate the need to stow away lengths of surplus wiring eventually. On the other side of the framework, holes have been predrilled (before assemblying) for the wiring to the landing light in the nose.

I am now ready for the fun part of adding some outer shell parts, to see what the Comet will really look like in all its scarlet red splendour.

Das Rumpfgerüst der Comet ist nun schon zienmlich beeindruckend - es ist bereits länger als meine Standard-Schneidmatte - und die Ruder und die Nase kommen noch.
    Wie man sehen kann, habe ich über der Flächenwurzel einen extra Ausschnitt gemacht, weil ich ahne, daß ich einige zu lange Kabel am Schluß noch unterbringen können muss. Auf der anderen Seite des Gerüsts habe ich Löcher vorgebohrt (vor dem Zusammenbau) um die Kabel für das vordere Landelicht durchziehen zu können.
    Jetzt bin ich bereit für den erbaulichen Teil, das anbringen einiger äußerer Beplankungsteile, damit ich sehen kann, wie die Comet tatsächlich in ihrem Scarlet Rot aussieht.

Leif

• Hallo Leif,
    danke für das Feedback. Im Nachhinein muss ich sagen, daß ich bei meinem Bau ähnliche Probleme hatte. Aufgrund der Größe waren sie aber nicht so offensichtlich. Ursprünglich hatte ich große, flache Teile vermieden, eben weil es schwierig ist sie tatsächlich flach hinzubekommen (Verzug beim Verstärken). Aber deine Idee ist wirklich bestechend einfach und ich denke ich werde sie berücksichtigen, wenn ich mal eine zweite Version der Comet auflege.
    Vielen Dank
    Gruß
    Jan

• Jan, even if you don't revise the Comet in its present shape, there's always a next design, right? I am thinking that if you do a full rigid framework - which is really good - you should perhaps endeavour to have frame members below every joint. It wouldn't mean that many more parts - in the case of the Comet just two more horizontal keel parts, for the upper side joints.

If you do this, then you could actually glue in all the joining strips directly on to the frame members (not to the parts), and you wouldn't even have to draw them, since you could leave it up to the builder to cut these out at their own discretion from suitable coloured areas, such as those you have already provided.

Just a thought I've been pondering for a while. Now for today's fun part:

Jan, auch wenn du die Comet im momentanen Zustand nicht überarbeitest, es gibt immer eine nächste Konstruktion oder? Ich denk daran, falls du ein stabiles Gerüst verwendest - was wirklich gut ist - dann solltest du vielleicht unter jeder Verbindung ein Gerüstteil setzen. Es würde gar nicht so furchtbar viel merh Teile ergeben - im Falle der Comet nur zwei zusätzliche horizontale Spanten, für die oberen Verbindungen.
    Wenn man das macht, kann man alle Klebestreifen direkt auf das Gerüst und nicht die Teile kleben, und du müsstest sie nicht mal zeichnen, sondern könntest es dem Erbauer überlassen diese selber aus einem entsprechend gefärbeten Bereich auszuschneiden, so wie die, die du schon mitgeliefert hast.
    Nur ein Gedanke, über den ich die ganze Zeot nachgrüble. Jetzt zum heutigen erbaulichen Teil:

9. First red parts to go on

I think large parts are very scary. How do you plan your glueing so that you can have some control over what's going on? There was no way that the big centre part Jan had designed would go on in one continuous glueing operation. Disaster would be certain:

9. Die ersten roten Teile werden aufgeklebt

Ich glaube, große Teile sind angsteinflößend. Wie plant man das Aufkleben so, daß man immer Kontrolle über alles hat, was passiert? Keine Chance, daß man das große Zentralteil, das Jan entworfen hat, in einem Durchgang aufkleben kann. Ein Desaster wäre vorprogrammiert.

[Attachment 1 below]

While pondering how to go about this, there were some thing that could be done - edgecolouring, and glueing on the joining strips.

Während ich noch grübelte, gab es schon etwas, was erledigt werden konnte - Kantenfärben und Aufkleben der Verbinder.

[Attachment 2 below (two small photos)]

Edgecolouring of course is standard practice, but for beginners it might be worth showing once in a while to underline the importance of it. Use any method you prefer (I use water-colour pencils, and my usual small brush; dip the brush in water and work the tip of the pencil). Note the direction of the brush - hold it from the back; that way all smudges will end up there, and none on the front.

If there is one thing that will improve your building technique as a beginner, this is it - edgecolouring. Do it always, and do it well.

Second feature, not intuitively clear to beginners, is the use of joining strips. This is a very good feature, and Jan Müller, the designer, deserves every praise for using them throughout. In the second photo above, the joining strips have been glued on, and now they are being bent along the pre-embossed lines (I use a separate knife for that, specially dulled against sanding paper).

Not being able to postpone the real glueing any longer, a start was made by glueing on the big part so that it fitted the cockpit rim exactly (following Jan's instruction closely here). Glue was not applied to any other part as yet, but the top center of the cockpit section:

Kantenfärben ist natürlich eine Standard-Vorgehensweise, aber für den Anfänger kann man gelegentlich nochmal drauf hinweisen, wie wichtig es ist. Man kann jede bevorzugte Methode verwenden (Ich verwende wasserlösliche Fabrstifte and meinen normalen kleinen Pinsel; den Pinsel ins Wasser tauchen und die Spitze des Stiftes bearbeiten) Man beachte die Richtung des Pinsels - immer von der Rückseite ans Bauteil halten. Auf diese Weise landen alle Flecken auf dieser und nicht der Vorderseite.
    Wenn es eine Sache gibt, die einem Anfänger zu besserer Bautechnik verhilft, dann ist es Kantenfärben. Mach es immer und mach es gut.
    Eine zweite Sache, die Anfänger nicht sofort klar ist, ist die Verwendung von Klebestreifen (Verbindern). Das ist eine sehr gute Sache und Jan Müller, der Konstrukteur, verdient jede Anerkennung, daß er sie konsequent einsetzt. Im zweiten Photo, oben, sind die Verbinder bereits aufgeklebt und and vorgerillten Linien nach hinten geknickt. Dafür verwende ich ein eigenes Messer, das ich extra mit Schleifpapier stumpf gemacht habe.
    Nachdem ich das eigentliche Kleben nicht weiter herauszögern konnte, habe ich den Anfang am oberen Cockpitrand gemacht und diesen genau ausgerichtet (hier habe ich mich genau an Jans Anleitung gehalten). Es wurde außer an der oberen Kante noch kein weiterer Kleber aufgetragen.

[Attachment 3 below (two small photos)]

This way it was then possible to carefully fold the sides upwards, and apply glue also to the sides of the cockpit section (right), one at a time.

Then it was time for the fore and aft parts of the sides, again one at a time, a total of four glueing operations:

Auf diese Weise war es möglich die Seitenflächen vorsichtig nach oben zu klappen und auch hier Kleber aufzubringen, eine nach der anderen.
    Dann waren die vorderen und hinteren Seitenteile an der Reihe, wieder eins nach dem anderen, insgesamt vier Klebenähte.

[Attachment 4 below (two small photos)]

And we are done, this single big part having been glued on in - summing up - seven distinct glueing operations, all of them with reasonable control over what was going on:

Und wir sind fertig, das große Teil ist an insgesamt sieben verschiedenen Stellen verklebt worden, mit einigermaßen guter Kontrolle über alles.

[Attachment 5 below]

Time to take a deep breath and send some grateful thoughts to the designer. The fit was perfect, all around - thanks, Jan!

Es ist an der Zeit tief Luft zu holen und einige dankbare Gedanken an den Konstrukteur zu verschwenden. Die Passung war rundherum perfekt - Danke Jan!

Leif

• Hi Leif,

Superb! I really see, that Jan's design is excellent. I like how you tackle with those well designed parts. It is realy annoying to work with large parts, but the result is awesome. I have much headache with my SR-71 parts, but I hope I will overcome all these problems.

Very nice job! =D> =D> =D> Good luck! ;)
    --

• Thanks, Mindauguas! Here we go again:

10. Learning a method for getting the curved parts to go on properly

Getting the big flat parts of the fuselage on was a challenge, only to be followed by another one - the compound curved parts of the fuselage. Preparing for this, I discovered that the joining strips over the formers were missing from the kit (or else I just couldn't find them when rearranging parts for my new print sheets).

10. Erlernen einer Methode die gekrümmten Bauteile richtig anzubauen
    Das Anbringen der flachen Teile des Rumpfes war eine Herausforderung, direkt gefolgt von der nächsten - die zusammengesetzten gekrümmten Teile des Rumpfes. Bei der Vorbereitung dafür habe ich entdeckt, daß die Verbinder über den Spanten im Bausatz fehlen (oder ich konnte sie nicht finden beim Anordnen für meine Druckseiten).

[Attachment 1 below (two small photos)]

Clearly there was a need for these (which was indicated also by the slots in the formers and keels), so I printed the extra red square provided in the kit and cut my own strips (left above). A small piece was added at the bottom joining strip, which didn't quite cover the rear former as it should.

Last, but not least, I made a little cut in the long joining strips already glued in. As you can see from the last picture in the previous installment, they were bulging out in the wrong places due to the bending of the side parts. The little wedge cut out just above the second front former cured that immediately.

Since I was very hesitant about the whole business of getting these large parts on I decided to start with the smallest and most obscure of them, the bottom front.

Dryfitting this (right) it became painfully clear that the part would not quite stretch all they way it should. And there was no way I could fix this by sanding the formers, now that I had added the joining strips.

So there was nothing else to do, than go back into the computer and enlarge the width of these parts slightly. To be on the safe side, I enlarged the width of all of the remaining fuselage part and printed a new sheet. I am sure there is a more elegant way of accomplishing this if you are familiar enough with Illustrator, but I settled for scaling the width of the parts individually 105 percent. We'll see if this is enough.

Diese wurden ganz offensichtlich gebraucht (was durch die Auschnitte in den Spanten klar wird), also habe ich die beigelegten zusätzlichen roten Quadrate ausgedruckt und meine eigenen Streifen ausgeschnitten (s. oben links). Ein kleines Stück wurde am unteren Verbinder noch angefügt, weil dieser nicht ganz über den Spant reichte.
    Zu guter letzt habe ich noch einen kleinen Schnitt in die langen Verbinder gemacht, die schon angeklebt sind. Wie man im vorherigen Beitrag erkennen kann, beulten sich diese etwas nach aussen an den falschen Stellen aufgrund der Krümmung der Aussenteile. Ein kleiner Zwickel kurz vorm zweiten Spant herausgeschnitten, und das Problem war sofort gelöst.
    Da ich sehr zögerlich war mit der ganzen Sache des Anbringens der großen Bauteile, habe ich mich entschlossen mit den kleinsten und am wenigsten sichtbaren anzufangen, der unteren vorderen Beplankung.
    Beim Anpassen (s. rechts) wurde schmerzvoll deutlich, daß diese Teil nicht ganz herumreichen würde wie es sollte. Und es gab keinen Weg das durch Schleifen der Spanten zu ändern, da ich die Verbinder schon aufgeklebt hatte.
    Es gab also keine andere Möglichkeit, als zurück an den Computer zu gehen und die Breite dieser Teile etwas zu vergrößern. Um auf der sicheren Seite zu sein, habe ich gleich alle übrigen Rumpfteile verbreitert und einen neuen Bogen ausgedruckt. Ich bin sicher es gibt einen eleganteren Weg das hinzubekommen wenn man sich mit Illustrator auskennt, aber ich habe mich darauf beschränkt die Breite der einzelnen Teile mit 105% zu skalieren. Wir werden sehen ob es reicht.

Starting from square one again at least hade given me a chance to figure out a reasonable order of going about the glueing. After trimming the now slightly oversize new parts (note the shavings below in the left photo above), and not forgetting to recolour the trimmed part, I decided to start by glueing the part only to the centre keel section, running from the wing root section to the front.

Having got it aligned and fixed, I then had all the time in the world to glue down one section of the part after another. In the right photo above one section has been glued down, and glue is being applied to the second section.

The glueing down of this single part thus took five separate glueing operations, all with reasonable control over what was going on. I hate being stressed by glue drying up while you struggle to position a part correctly!

Da ich wieder von vorne anfangen musste, hatte ich die Chance mir eine vernünftige Reihenfolge des Anbringens auszudenken. Nachdem ich die jetzt etwas zu großen Teile zurechtgeschnitten habe (man beachte die Schnipsel im linken Bild) und auch nicht vergessen habe, die Kanten neu zu färben, habe ich mich entschlossen damit anzufangen, das Teil am Mittelspant anzukleben, angefangen von der Flügelwurzel nach vorne.
    Nachdem alles ausgerichtet und befestigt war, hatte ich alle Zeit der Welt eine Sektion nach der anderen festzukleben. Im oberen rechten Bild ist eine Sektion bereits angeklebt und auf der zweiten wird Kleber aufgetragen.
    Das Verkleben dieses einzelnen Teils erforderte also fünf Klebevorgänge, alle mit vernünftiger Kontrolle. Ich hasse von trocknendem Kleber beim Ausrichten von Teilen gehetzt zu werden!

The small slit between the two sections, necessary to accomplish the compound curve, was rolled down tightly with a coarse knitting needle (above left). This is very neat, and makes the joint almost invisible.

And now it's confession time - there still remains a small gap at the front, and the part does not quite align at the front with the main side part. Clearly, a few very small touch-up strips will have to be added here later on.

Another problem - printing the new parts, the colour unfortunately turned out to be slightly different than the first printing. Turns out I had changed ink cartridges (and the make of the ink) in between. Bother! But I guess the original Comet weren't quite perfect either.

For now, I am pleased to have found a method of getting these parts on under controlled conditons. I hope I'll get better at this as the build progresses.

Der kleine Schlitz zwischen den zwei Sektionen, der nötig ist um die Krümmung zu erreichen, würde fest mit einer Stricknadel festgerollt. Das ist sehr sauber und macht die Verbindung fast unsichtbar.
    Und jetzt ist Zeit zum Beichten - es bleibt vorne ein kleiner Spalt und das Teil passt nicht ganz genau ans Seitenteil. Offensichtlich müssen hier später noch ein paar kleine Reparaturstreifen hin.
    Ein weiteres Problem - beim Ausdrucken ist leider der Farbton etwas anders geworden als beim ersten Mal. Es stellte sich heraus, daß ich die zwischendurch die Druckpatronen (und den Hersteller der Tinte) gewechselt hatte. Na toll! Aber ich denke, die echte Comet war auch nicht perfekt.

Erstmal bin ich glücklich eine Methode gefunden zu haben, diese Teile unter kontrollierten Bedingungen zu montieren. Ich hoffe besser zu werden während des Baus.

Leif

• Hallo Leif,
    super Arbeit! Ich habe gerade nochmal nachgeschaut, die kleinen Klebestreifen fehlen tatsächlich. Ich hab sie vergessen, ist also nicht dein Fehler. Aber für solche Fälle waren die zusätzlichen Farbfelder ja gedacht. Ich habs für die nächste Version notiert.
    Gruß
    Jan

• Hi Leif

As always Leif when you think it can't get better it does, outstanding thread mate.
    Love the idea with the watch makers screw driver, already have an old set ready to hit the grinder tomorrow :rolleyes:

Take care

Rob

• Leif,

Another rule for large scale projects; Have enough inkjet cartridges of the same manufacturer and manufacturing run on hand at the beginning of the project to insure that the colors remain constant. Also a good idea to make a note of printer settings used.

I like your idea of gluing from the center out. Really relieves the stress. It reminds me in some respects to the method used on ship hulls.

-Gil

• Thanks Rob, and happy to meet up here in Europe!

Gil, yes, you're right of course. In fact, I made a particular note about the ink change just in order to confirm what you have already pointed out on Cardmodels.net. Remember this, folks - have a good supply of the same brand of ink readily available when embarking on a new project!

Now for a few improvements on the technique I started to learn in the last installment:

Danke, Rob, schön dich hier in Europa zu treffen!

Gil, du hast natürlich Recht. Tatsächlich habe ich die öffentliche Notiz zum Thema Druckerpatronen nur gemacht, um zu bestätigen, was du schon auf cardmodels.net gesagt hast. Denkt dran Leute - Beim Start eines neuen Projekts immer ausreichend Vorrat an Druckerpatronen derselben Marke haben.
    Nun zu einigen Verbesserungen zur Technik, die ich im letzten Teil gelernt habe.

11. Getting better at it

Continuing with the bottom aft part (a really long one), I made one disastrous attempt, which had to be torn off at an early stage. I will not show you what the fuselage framework looked like after that, since the larger backup part soon covered the traces.

11. Ein bisschen besser werden

Ich habe einen desaströsen Versuch am unteren hinteren Teil gestartet (ein wirklich langes Teil), daß aber sehr früh schon wieder abgerissen werden musste. Ich werde euch nicht zeigen, wie das Rumpfgerüst danach aussah, da das Ersatzteil schnell alle Spuren verdeckte.

[Attachment 1 below (two small photos)]

This time I made an improvement. Instead of trying to precut the part to an exact fit, I glued it on at the centre keel, just like before, AND TRIMMED THE PART IN PLACE (left small photo). This works beautifully well. A final small amount of sanding (right small photo) was necessary the first time, but not after that.

Dieses Mal habe ich eine Verbesserung gemacht. Anstatt zu versuchen, daß Teil vorher paßgenau zuzuschneiden, habe ich es auf dem Mittelspannt verklebt, wie vorher auch, und das Teil HINTERHER an Ort und Stelle zurechtgeschnitten. Das hat wunderbar funktioniert. Beim ersten Mal war noch etwas Schleifarbeit erforderlich (oben rechts), danach aber nicht mehr.

Edgecolouring a part already glued on at the centre is a little bit tricky, since you have to do it the "wrong" way, from the front, which means risk of smudging the front. Take care! Note also (left small photo) that the white parts beneath have been painted red in order to avoid any white showing through the joint.

The final pressing down is made by rolling a coarse knitting needle, a piece of tubing, or whatever your favourite tool for this work is. Rolling allows you to really get a good fit, and also enables some shaping while in place (the main shaping of course was made in advance).

I am now feeling a little bit more confident again. This was nerve-wrecking work.

Leif

Das Kantenfärben des bereits verklebten Teils ist ein bisschen schwierig, weil man es von der "falschen" Seite her machen muss, mit dem Risiko die Vorderseite zu beschmieren. Also Vorsicht! Beachtet, daß im oberen linken Bild auch die drunterliegenden weißen Teile rot bemalt sind, um zuverhindern, daß das Weiße durch die Lücke scheint.
    Das letzte Andrücken wird dann wieder mit einer groben Stricknadel, einem Stück Rohr, oder was auch immer beliebt, erledigt. Das Rollen erlaubt es eine sehr gute Passung zu erreichen, auch kann man so noch etwas formen (das meiste wurde natürlich vorher gemacht).
    Jetzt bin ich wieder zuversichtlich. Das war eine nervenaufreibende Arbeit.

• 12. Finally getting the hang of it

Getting the front top fuselage cover part on - the most visible of the remaining fuselage parts - I finally started to get the hang of the technique of applying large parts with built-in compound curves. There are two more things I'd like to share:

12. Endlich damit zurechtkommen

Beim Aufbringen der vorderen oberen Rumpfbeplankung - dem am meistens sichtbaren Teil der restlichen Rumpfteile - habe ich angefangen mich dran zu gewöhnen, große Bauteile mit zusammengesetzten Krümmungen zu bauen. Ich möchte noch zwei Sachen mit euch Teilen.

[Attachment 1 below]

First of all (left small photo), when you have glued the part to the centre keel and thus fixed it, and made your pencil marks for where to trim the edges to get that perfect fit, make the cut kind of oblique, at an angel inwards, if you get my drift, so that you really force the parts together when glueing.

When you have applied glue and are about to press the part down (right small photo), do it with a roll of some kind, not your fingers. AND DO IT IN THE DIRECTION SHOWN here - from the centre keel down towards the loose end, letting the roll rest on the two bulkheads below.

DO NOT ROLL FROM THE FRONT TO BACK, or vice versa. The reason for this is that you will want to minimize the sagging between formers. This sagging is probably unavoidable, and my model certainly has it, but at least, try not to make it worse by pressing down on the sag already there; let the roll rest on the rigid formers instead.

If you noticed that I did indeed roll the other way (90 degrees) on the aft fuselage, it was because there was a lenghtwise rigid keel underneath at that part. I didn't reflect on that myself at the time - it just felt OK to do it there, but not so on the front top.

By the way, the rolling tool in the photo is not as exotic or sophisticated as it might seem. The handle of an old discarded toilet plunger got a new lease on life!

Please note that this complicated part of the fuselage cover had two bends downwards towards the nose, plus the general rounding of the fuselage at 90 degrees to that. It thus took seven separate glueing operations to get it on - one attaching it to the centre top keel, and then glueing down three flaps on each side. But I never felt any stress during the whole procedure. That's what I'd like paper modelling to be like all the time!

Zuerst einmal (oben links), sobald man die Teile am Mittelspant verklebt und so fixiert hat, habe ich Bleistift-Markierungen angebracht, da wo die Kanten am besten abzuschneiden sind, damit es perfekt passt. Den Schnitt macht man mit einem Winkel nach innen, damit man die Teile wirklich richtig zusammendrücken kann.

Wenn man den Kleber aufgebracht hat und dabei ist, das Teil festzudrücken, sollte man das mit irgendwas rundem machen, nicht mit den Fingern. Und macht es in der gezeigten Richtung - vom Zentralspant ausgehend herunter zum losen Ende während man die Rolle auf den beiden gezeigten Spanten auflegt (oben rechts).

Rollt sie nicht von vorne nach hinten oder umgekehrt fest. Der Grund ist, daß man das Einfallen zwischen den Spanten so gering wie möglich halten muss. Das Einfallen ist fast unvermeidlich und bei meinem Modell ist das sicher auch passiert, aber wenigstens habe ich versucht es nicht durch Andrücken zu verschlimmern. Die Rolle muss wirklich stattdessen auf den Spanten aufliegen.

Wie Ihr sicher bemerkt habt, habe ich tatsächlich auch in der anderen Richtung (90 Grad verdreht) gerollt, nämlich am hinteren Ende. Aber unter dem Bauteil habe ich einen zusätzlichen Längsspant eingebaut. Ich habe nicht ganz genau drüber nachgedacht zu der Zeit, ich hatte einfach an der Stelle das Gefühl, daß es eine gute Idee ist, habs aber vorne nicht gemacht.

Nur am Rande: Mein Rollwerkzeug ist nicht so exotisch oder speziell wie es aussehen mag. Der Griff eines alten Pömpels fand da seine neue Bestimmung.

Zu beachten ist, daß dieses komplizierte Teil des Rumpfes zwei Biegungen abwärts in Richtung der Nase hat, plus die Rundung des Rumpfes 90 Grad dazu. So bedurfte es sieben einzelne Verklebungen um es draufzukriegen - eine beim Festkleben auf dem Mittelspant und drei Klappen an jeder Seite. Aber bei der ganzen Sache hatte ich nie Stress. Das ist es was ich die ganze Zeit am Kartonmodellbau so mag!

[Attachment 2 below]

So here's the result of this part of the work - with all its remaining imperfections. Still, I am mighty pleased to have learned a technique for doing something that so far always scared me stiff.

If you're wondering why I have left the aft fuselage uncovered, it's because I want to get the canopy in place first - one part of it has been slightly redesigned to serve as a joining strip for the aft fuselage cover.

When I get to the aft top covering, I intend to insert a few rigid lengthwise keel parts there, too. Pity I hadn't yet caught on to the need for such parts when doing the front top cover. It would have been so easy, even with the sides already mounted...

Feedback on the design

A reflection on the design is that I like the idea of making up a complete rigid framework underneath. It will ensure a true outline; it is well suited for enlarging models; and it resembles the construction of the full-size aircraft (plus that as an old balsa-model builder you feel right at home). But it will also increase the probability of parts not fitting. Even an unnoticeably small disalignment in either the framework or when getting the first large parts (the fuselage sides) on, will result in a need to trim subsequent parts.

This is not necessarily a problem per se - but it would be preferable to draw these latter parts slightly oversize, and include a note about the need to "trim to fit when building", perhaps with a few small arrows and marks to indicate the intended design size of the part. This way you will not have to resize and reprint parts.

As already noted, a few rigid lengthwise keel parts at the horizontal joints would be most helpful to prevent sagging between formers in places where this is likely to be rather visible.

Leif

Hier ist also das Ergebnis dieses Teils meiner Arbeit - mit all den verbleibenden Fehlern. Dennoch bin ich sehr erfreut eine Technik für etwas gelernt zu haben, daß mir bisher immer Respekt eingeflößt hat.
    Falls ihr euch wundern solltet, warum ich die hintere Beplankung noch nicht montiert habe, das ist weil ich zuerst die Kabinenhaube anbauen möchte - einen Teil davon habe ich etwas abgeändert um als Verbindungsstreifen für den hinteren Rumpfteil zu dienen.
    Wenn ich zur hinteren Beplankung komme, plane ich auch hier einige feste Längsspanten einzufügen. Schade eigentlich daß ich nicht drauf gekommen bin bevor ich die vordere Beplankung aufgezogen habe. Es wäre so einfach gewesen, auch mit den schon montierten Seiten.

Feedback zur Konstruktion

Eine Rückmeldung zur Kosntruktion ist, daß ich die Idee mag, eine komplett steife inner Gitterstruktur zu verwenden. Das stellt eine genaue Aussenkontur sicher; es ist bestens geeignet für das Vergößern von Modellen; und es ahmt die Bauweise eines echten Flugzeugs nach (zusätzlich fühlt man sich als alter Balsa-Modellbauer gleich wie zuhause). Aber es erhöht auch die Wahrscheinlichkeit, daß Teile nicht passen. Auch eine noch so kleine Ungenauigkeit entweder beim Bau der Gitterstruktur oder beim Anbringen der großen Seitenteile resultiert in der Notwendigkeit die nachfolgenden Teile nachzuarbeiten.
    Das ist nicht von vornherein ein Problem - aber es wäre zu bevorzugen diese Teile etwas zu groß zu zeichnen und mit einer Notiz zu versehen "Beim Anbau zurechtschneiden", veilleicht mit einigen kleinen Pfeilen und Markierungen um die entworfene Größe des Bauteils anzuzeigen. Auf diese Weise müsste man keine Teile in der Größe ändern und neu Ausdrucken.
    Und wie bereits gesagt, einige steife Längsspanten an den horizontalen Verbindungen wären sehr hilfreich um das Einfallen der Teile zu verhindern, grade da wo es sehr sichtbar ist.

Leif

• Leif,
    I have mentioned how much I am enjoying following this build. But after reading your last post, I realized why. You take time to reflect on your work, share your observations and suggest areas where improvements could be made. I am not into aircraft modelling at all, but I closely follow your threads because of the wealth of learning to be found within them. You add much to the craft. Thank you!
    John

Leif,
    ich habe bereits erwähnt wie sehr ich es genieße deinem Bericht zu folgen. Aber nach deinem letzten Beitrag weiß ich warum. Du nimmst dir Zeit um deine Arbeit zu reflektieren, deine Beobachtungen zu teilen und Stellen vrozuschlagen wo Verbesserungen machbar sind. Ich bin so gar kein Flugzeugbauer, aber ich folge deinen Themen wegen der Lernmöglichkeiten, die darin stecken. Du trägst viel zu unserem Handwerk bei. Danke!
    John

• Warm thanks, John! Here's a part that I find particularly difficult. I hope some of the experiences may be of use also for other kinds of models than aircraft:

Vielen Dank, John! Hier ist der Teil, den ich besonders schwierig fand. Ich hoffe meine Erfahrungen lassen sich auch bei anderen Modellen als Flugzeugen verwenden.

13. Making the canopy

Canopies are scary stuff. They are so visible, and determines the final "look" of a model so very much. They are difficult to make, and to keep clean while making them. The steps below, simple though they may be, took me well over a week to go through, parallell to some of the work already recounted.

Perhaps it is a tell-tale sign that Jan Müller, the designer, suggests that builders of his kit in the original 1/33 scale might want to leave the canopy without windows (just making the frame), and he has also built his own promotion model that way.

And I am not surprised. The canopy is exquisitely designed, with a lot of VERY thin members (at half the scale I, too, would have given up on glazing it, no doubt about it).

The kit contains only one set of frames, plus a template for those attempting to make a glassed canopy. At a scale of 1/16 I wanted to make the canopy double-sided, so I printed an extra copy of the frame part. Here's my way of going about canopy-making:

Der Bau der Kabinenhaube

Kabinenhauben sind angsteinflößend. Sie sind so sichtbar und bestimmen das endgültige Aussehen des Modells so sehr. Sie sind schwierig herzustellen und dabei sauberzuhalten. Die unten beschriebenen Schritte, so einfach sie auch scheinen mögen, haben mich gut eine Woche gekostet, parallel zu all den anderen bereits erwähnten Sachen.
    Vielleicht ist es ein Vorzeichen, daß Jan Müller, der Konstrukteur, den Bauern dieses Modells in 1:33 vorschlägt, die Kabinenhaube evtl. ohne Verglasung zu bauen und er hat seinen eigenen Prototypen ebenfalls so gebaut.
    Und ich bin nicht überrascht. Die Kabinenhaube ist exquisit konstruiert mit vielen sehr kleinen Teilen (bei halber Größe hätte ich zweifelsfrei mich auch nicht an die Verglasung getraut).
    Der Bausatz enthält nur einen Kabinenrahmen plus ein Schablone für das Herstellen der verglasten Haube. Bei einem Maßstab von 1:16 wollte ich den Rahmen doppelseitig gestalten, also habe einen extra ausgedruckt. Hier ist also meine Vorgehensweise für das Herstellen einer Kabinenhaube:

[Attachment 1 below]

The first step is to cut out all the window openings in the INNER FRAME. All edges are left uncut and with wide margins, to provide a stable support when glueing everything together later on. I wanted to make this inner frame internal with the joint strip for the aft fuselage covering, so 6 mm was added at the back of it (as distinct from the outer frame).

All edges, and the entire inner surface, is painted red with somewhat diluted acrylic. This is to avoid anything white showing, even if the fit with the outer layer is less than perfect.

The cut-out inner frame is then carefully glued onto a sheet of overhead film of roughly the same size. Glue-remnants are scraped off with a toothpick while still semi-dry (above). I use ordinary white glue, for lack of a better alternative. Suggestions for a really good glue for canopy-making would be much appreciated!

Next, the inner frame with its glued-on film is bent roughly to the correct shape, and held that way with masking tape. This is when the large edges come into play - they are very handy for attaching the masking tape.

Meanwhile, the outer frame has been cut out similarly, edgecoloured, and painted red on its inner side.

The outer layer is now carefully glued onto the bent inner frame and film layer (below):

Als erstes werden alle inneren Fenster ausgeschnitten. Alle Kanten werden so belassen und mit breiten Rändern, um eine stabile Hilfe beim späteren Zusammenkleben zu haben. Den gezeigten Rahmen wollte ich als Innenseite verwenden, der auch den Klebestreifen für die hintere Rumpfbeplankung bildet. Deswegen wurde an der Hinterseite zusätzlich ein etwa 6mm breiter Streifen stehengelassen (im Unterschied zur Aussenseite).
    Alle Kanten und die Innenseite wurden rot angemalt mit etwas verdünnter Acrylfarbe. Das soll vermeiden, daß irgendwo was weisses durchscheint auch wenn das Aussenteil nicht perfekt passt.
    Der ausgeschnittene innere Rahmen wird dann vorsichtig auf ein Stück Overhead-Folie geklebt. Klebereste werden mit einem Zahnstocher abgekratzt, wenn sie noch halbtrocken sind. Ich verwende einfachen Weißleim, weil ich keine bessere Alternative habe. Vorschläge für einen Kleber, der sich für diese Anwendung eignet würde ich sehr begrüßen!
    Als nächstes wird dieser innere Rahmen mit dem aufgeklebten Film grob in Form gebogen und mit Maskierfilm fixiert. An dieser Stelle kommen die breiten Ränder ins Spiel, sie eignen sich bestens zum befestigen der Klebestreifen.
    Währenddessen habe ich den äußeren Rahmen ausgeschnitten, die Kanten gefärbt und die Innenseite rot bemalt.
    Die äußere Lage wird nun vorsichtig auf den inneren gebogenen Rahmen und die Folienschicht aufgeklebt (s.u.):

[Attachment 2 below]

On the photo above the edges have been cut clean (but still left oversize) and the whole assembly re-taped with masking tape. What you are seeing is thus three layers - two identical frame parts with overhead film between. The top front section has just been glued together, and taped at the front to hold the two sections firmly together. Again, the value of keeping large sections of the edges should be apparent.

Understanding what kind of shaping was required to make the different parts of the canopy come together effortlessly, took some time and was quite fascinating (below left):

Auf dem oberen Bild sind die Kanten schon zugeschnitten, haben aber immer noch Übergröße und die ganze Sache ist wieder mit Maskiertape fixiert worden. Was man sieht sind also drei Lagen - zwei identische Rahmen mit Overhead-Folie dazwischen. Die vordere Sektion ist grade zusammengeklebt worden und wird mit Klebeband fest zusammengehalten. Und abermals sollte die Verwendung von breiten Streifen an den Kanten offensichtlich sein.
    Das Verstehen, welche Verformung nötig ist, damit die verschiedenen Teile der Haube zusammenpassen, hat etwas gedauert und war recht faszinierend (unten links)

Once I understood that increasing the roundness of the first vertical frame part actually would make the front centrepiece turn downwards on its own accord, half the job was done.

Carefully massaging this part of the frame round with my fingers, virtually no force was required to make the rest of the frame parts come together, and they could be glued satisfactorily. Strips of masking tape hold the parts together while the joint is drying (above right).

Sobald ich verstanden hatte, daß die Vergößerung der Krümmung der ersten senkrechten Strebe dafür sorgt, daß sich das vordere mittlere Teil von ganz alleine nach unten biegt, war die Arbeit halb getan.
    Das vorsichtige Runden dieses Teils mit den Fingern sorgte dafür, daß fast keine Kraft mehr erforderlich war die restlichen Rahmenteile zusammenzubekommen und sie konnten zufriedenstellend verklebt werden. Klebstreifen halten alles zusammen bis es trocken ist (oben rechts)

[Attachment 4 below (two small photos)]

After finally daring to cut the entire assembly clean, everything was touched up with diluted red acrylic which still lets the lines and patterns below shine through(above left), and the finished canopy could be glued on to the fuselage (above right).

I had been worrying so much about this moment - would it really fit? But it did. I must say that the design of this part is flawless. Could not imagine that this last step would be so easy. Congratulations, Jan!

Nachdem ich mich schlußendlich getraut habe, alle Überstände wegzuschneiden, habe ich alles nochmal mit verdünnter Acrylfarbe rot nachgearbeitet, die aber die Linien noch durchscheinen läßt. Die fertige Haube konnte nun auf den Rumpf geklebt werden (oben rechts).
    Ich habe mir so viele Sorgen wegen dieses Moments gemacht - würde sie wirklich passen? Aber sie passte. Ich muss sagen, die Konstruktion dieses Teils ist fehlerlos. Konnte gar nicht glauben, daß dieser Schritt so einfach sein würde. Glückwunsch, Jan!

[Attachment 5 below]

There still remains a number of small glue remnants to scrape away, but for the moment I am very pleased and relieved that this part of the work actually is done. A lot of worries can now be laid to rest.

Ein paar Klebereste sind noch über, die müssen noch ab, aber für den Augenblick bin ich erstmal zufrieden und froh, daß dieser Teil vrobei ist. Mir fällt ein Stein vom Herzen.

Leif

• Leif

Just one of the best canopies I have seen, thanks for the lesson once again. Almost wish I built planes.

regards

• Hi Leif

Another great "how to" =D>

I think I sent you a while back a tube of "151 Clear glue" to play around with, the one Barry told you I had.

I built Mike Krol's Ki-44 canopy with it and its still going strong even with the kids palying with it :rolleyes:

The photo is the one I built using sheet plastic and the 151 glue.
    I know the canopy is not so good but the glue is still holding it all together.
    I built this kit in two days so Mike could use the construction photo on the CD of the model, so don't look to hard at the state of the build ;(
    You can see the construction photos at

http://www.gremirmodels.com

If you need another tube just shout mate and it will be on its way

Keep going this is great stuff for the troops

Take care

Rob

• I know, Rob, I know. Thruth is, I never dared using it... I thought it might be very strong and perhaps leave marks or something. But if you say it is alright, I reallly have to try it. If it works out, then there is the problem of availability of course. How about others? It's always most fun to recommend something you know other people can get hold of as well.

Sorry to have let you down. Your canopy looks just fine, and I should probably have used the strong stuff. I'll be sure to holler whenever the need arises for stuff like that, I know you're a good source!

Best, Leif

• Thanks Rob, I'm sure it will be much appreciated by many!

Barry, there is one thing you could help out with, which I think may be a common problem for many. I know you have drawn canopies the old-fashioned way with some considerable success. How about a quick run-down on the procedure - I'm sure it would merit a whole new thread - and what to watch out for, etc.

I have studied excellent tutorials on this and other sites (by Mindaugas for example), and I am aware of the correct and complicated way of doing it (building a vacuum box and frame, attaching the vacuum cleaner, etc.), but I was hoping to get away with the quick-and-easy way I know you've tried.

This is for the small main landing light in the nose of the Comet. I have never done anything like that.

Best, Leif

• Great, I was thinking about turning a solid card template and use a drawing device (a piece of card with appropriately sized hole). That's the way I remember reading about it over the years, though I never dared try it.

But your way sure sounds quick-and-dirty enough for me. Will try that (might even go get myself a heat gun; they're pretty cheap these days...).

Doesn't mean a little moral support from Barry, too, would be out of the way...

Leif

PS. (Edited in) Oh yes, rereading your post, I now see that you included the drawing ring/template in your advice. Then we're on the same page!

Edited once, last by Leif Ohlsson ().

• Hi Leif

Michaels method is almost the same as mine which is even dirtier as you have the facilities make the best mould plug you can but make sure it has a rounded end otherwise it will poke straight through the plastic I find the trays they sell cold meats in at the supermarket are about right.

Even using methods like this shows up imperfections in the plug

Cut a big piece (relatively) of plastic.(Keeps your fingers out of the heat a bit)

Mount your nose cone (which is a little bit longer than you require for the finished product) on a dowell which will give you at least 3 inches of clear pulling space. That is for your hands not the plastic.

I put on a pair of old oven gloves and hold the plastic about 3 or 4 inches above a toaster (better wait till the lady of the house ain't looking and empty the crumbs out first, the burnt smell is a dead giveaway) until it sags then quickly and smoothly pull the plastic down over the plug. Wearing gloves means you can quickly use your fingers to take out small imperfectionsafter you have pulled the plastic down it's still hot enough.

With small pieces like this I do not bother with the ring it gets in the way and really applies to vacuforming.

Trim to suit

It will probably take you a couple of trys to find the right "sag" look

If it is truly circular you could use a mounted "marble" to pull over.

Hope this helps have fun

barry

Edited once, last by barry ().

• Many thanks, Barry! Good pointers. Will keep you updated. - Leif

• 14. Augmenting the aft fuselage

Learning from the experience of the forward part of the fuselage, I cut out two additional longitudinal keel parts, using the provided lower keel parts but omitting the tabs (below):

14. Erweiterungen am Heckteil
    Aus den Erfahrungen mit dem Vorderteil lernend, habe ich zwei zusätzliche Längsspanten ausgeschnitten. Hierzu habe ich die bereits vorhandenen unteren Längsspanten verwendet, jedoch ohne die Steckungen (unten):

[Photo 1 below]

The three holes in each part enable manipulating the piece into its correct place, just below the centre of the joining strip (the holes were made with a hole punch). Glue is applied only when the part really is at its correct position, and thus only along the seams.

Glueing the covering part on was easy, after learning how to proceed in the previous three installments (below):

Die drei Löcher ermöglichen die Positionierung des Bauteils an der gewünschten Stelle genau unter der Mittellinie des Verbinders. Kleber wird erst aufgebracht wenn das Teil wirklich in Position ist und dann nur an den Nahtstellen.
    Das Aufkleben der Beplankung war aufgrund der vorherigen Erfahrungen sehr einfach (unten):

[Photo 2 below]

This time there were no problems rolling the part on in both directions, which made the seams close up pretty good. This is a really good way of joining parts!

Dieses Mal gabs keine Probleme das Bauteil in zwei Richtungen durch Rollen festzudrücken, wodurch die Naht sehr schön geshclossen wurde. Dies ist eine wirklich gute Methode, Bauteile zusammenzufügen!

[Photo 3 below]

The finished aft fuselage looks good in this photograph. In all honesty, I've got to confess that in reality there is a visible different nuance of red on the top aft fuselage, since I was using an enlarged part, printed at a later stage (after the unfortunate change of ink cartridge & make).

But at least I've got almost a whole fuselage now!

Das fertige Heckteil des Rumpfes sieht auf diesem Foto gut aus. Aber um ehrlich zu sein, ich muss zugeben, daß es eine sichtbare Nuance in den Rottönen auf der Oberseite gibt, da ich ja die vergößerten und später gedruckten Teile verwendet habe (nach dem unglücklichen Wechsel der Druchpatronen und Marke).
    Aber zumindest habe ich nun einen fast kompletten Rumpf!

Leif

• 15. A nose-cone causing some grief

This is the story of a nose-cone causing some grief, but ultimately also gave a lot of valuable learning experiences. The start was innocuous enough (below):

15. Ein Nasenkonus macht Kummer

Dies ist die Geschichte eines Nasenkonus, der Kummer bereitet, aber im Endeffekt viel Möglichkeit zum Lernen gab. Der Anfang war noch harmlos (s. u.):

[Attachement 1, first small picture]

Here, the basic cone part has been cut out and glued together with its joining strip. The front bulkhead - which also depicts the landing light reflector - is in the process of being cut out with the Olfa circle-cutter.

The bulkhead is doubled up on 2 x 2 mm card and cut out well oversize. The idea is to mount it on a simple mandrel (a common 2 mm screw with washers and bolts), in order to sand it down to a correct conical shape in the mini-drill (below):

Hier ist der Konus ausgeschnitten und mit dem Klebestreifen zusammengefügt. Der vordere Spant - der auch den Reflektor des Landelichts enthält - wird grade mit dem Olfa Kreisschneider ausgeschnitten.
    Der Spant wird mit 2x2mm Karton verstärkt und etwas größer ausgeschnitten. Die Idee dahinter ist es mit einer einfachen Einspannung zu versehen (eine normale 2mm Schraube mit Scheiben und Mutter), um es mit dem Minibohrer zu einem Konus schleifen zu können (s.u.):

[Attachment 1, second small picture]

The two extra circular parts protect the bulkhead from being deformed when the bolt is tightened real hard. At regular intervals the bulkhead was removed and tested for a good fit (below):

Die beiden zusätzlichen Scheiben verhindern, daß sich der Spant verzieht, wenn man die Schraube fest anzieht. In regelmäßigen Abständen wird der Spant herausgenommen und die Passung geprüft(s.u.):

[Attachment 2, first small picture]

When everything seemd to fit snugly, the bulkhead was removed from the mandrel, the centre hole widened to 5 mm, and the white LED test-fitted (below):

Wenn alles saugend paßt, wird der Spant abgenommen und das Loch in der Mitte auf 5mm erweitert und eine weiße LED eingepaßt (s.u.):

[Attachment 2, second small picture]

So far so good. The front bulkhead was glued in place, and the whole assembly (minus the LED at this point) test-fitted to the fuselage (below):

So weit so gut. Der vordere Spant wird eingeklebt und das Ganze (noch ohne LED), am Rumpf angepaßt (s.u.):

[Attachment 2, bottom small picture]

It didn't seem too bad; the protruding parts at the joint to the fuselage could probably be shaped and rolled down. But wait a minute - take a closer look at the very front!

The fit there was obviously to tight. When the glue dried up, it had shrunk the skin and pulled it inwards, causing a very ugly bend in the wrong direction, concave instead of convex. This is where I called it a night to sleep on it.

The next evening I decided to start afresh and scrap the whole piece. New parts where printed, glued up, and sanded down - but this time to a much looser fit. The lips of the nose-cone were treated specially, shaping them to a distinct downward-inward bend :

Das sah gar nicht schlecht aus; die überstehenden Teile an der Verbindungsstelle können wahrscheinlich angeformt und festgerollt werden. Aber Moment - schaut euch die Front genauer an!
    Die Passung war dort offensichtlich zu knapp. Als der Kleber getrocknet war, hat sich die Aussenhaut zusammengezogen und nach innen gezogen und dabei eine häßliche Biegung in die falsche Richtung gemacht. An der Stelle musste ich erstmal eine Nacht drüber schlafen.
    Am nächsten Abend habe ich mich entschlossen, das Teil wegzuwerfen und neu zu machen. Neue Teile wurden gedruckt, geklebt und geschliffen. Die Vorderkante des Konus wurden speziell behandelt, sie wurde leicht nach innen gebogen (unten links):

[Attachment 3, left small picture]

The aft part of the nose-cone was treated similarly [right small picture]. Here it is being shaped against a big, soft eraser. (Thanks Swinger for this particular tip; and Gil generally, for always pointing out both the viability and importance of shaping parts.)

Now I could solder up the LED with some confidence, and insert it into the finished and shaped nose-cone (below):

Der hintere Teil des Konus wurde genauso behandelt (rechts). Hier wird er mit Hilfe eines Radiergummis geformt. (Danke Swinger für diesen Tipp und danke Gil im allgemeinen, dafür daß er immer wieder betont, wie wichtig das Formen der Teile ist).
    Nun konnte ich guten Gewißens die LED anlöten und sie in die vorgefertigte Nase setzen (unten):

[Attachment 4, two small pictures]

The bulkhead was glued to the nose-cone applying glue only to the outermost parts of the lips, in order to avoid any shrinking further back. A small piece of card has been glued between the LED lead-outs, to provide stability and ensure that the leads do not inadvertently shortcut while the nose-cone is mounted to the fuselage.

Glueing to the fuselage was accompanied by the now standard rolling-while-pressing-down-hard process. This yields an excellent result, particularly when the part has been preshaped (below left):

Die Spanten wurden im Nasenkonus eingeklebt, indem nur auf die äußerste Kante Kleber aufgetragen wurde, um das Schrumpfen weiter hinten zu verhindern. Ein kleines Stück Karton wurde zwischen die Beinchen der LED geklebt, um etwas Stabiltät zu geben und einen Kurzschluss im eingebauten Zustand zu verhindern.
    Das Ankleben wurde dann mit der nun standardmäßigen Methode des Festrollens gemacht. Das führte zu einem exzellenten Ergebnis besonders weil das Teil vorgeformt worden ist.

[Attachment 5, two small pictures]

Comparing the result (even if only in the light of the LED) with the discarded part to the right, I think it was well worth the trouble to make a fresh start.

Der Vergleich mit dem nicht verwendeten Teil rechts zeigt auch im Schein der LED, daß sich der Neustart gelohnt hat.

Leif

• Leif,

I have also found that letting things go till morning is one of the better solutions to knotty problems. If you don't mind I suggest using some reflective material to back the LED. Aluminized paper or plastic film cut and tacked onto the surface should work well.

Love the great work that you've taken the time to assemble for all. It is thouroughly appreciated.

Till next...,

-Gil Russell

• Oh my God Leif,

This is insane! That cockpit glass (by the way, thanks for great tips on how to make it) and that ideal nose with LED looks great!

Leif, thanks for showing us such nice build.

Good luck! ;)
    --

• Thanks, Gil & Mindaugas. The transparent landing light blister still remains, though. Fortunately, not necessarily today...

16. A very complicated tail-cone

Messrs. Geoffrey de Havilland, in 1934, and Jan Müller, in 2005, in close collaboration have concocted a most complicated tail-cone, requiring very intricate shaping of the parts (below):

16. Ein sehr komplizierter Heckkonus

Die Herren Geoffrey de Havilland 1934 und Jan Müller 2005 haben in enger Zusammenarbeit einen sehr schwierigen Heckkonus ausgeheckt, der viel Formen der Teile erfordert (unten):

[Attachment 1 below]

But I guess anything originally made by laminating two layers of plywood actually can be reproduced in paper. Congratulations, Jan, for having pulled this intricate shape off in a way that is actually possible to build!

Throughout the process, my two crochet and knitting needles (picked up at the flea-market) were used extensively, booth for shaping and for pressing down when glueing the parts on (below):

Aber ich denke mal, was im Original aus zwei Lagen Sperrholz laminiert wurde, sollte auch aus Papier machbar sein. Gratulation, Jan, daß du diese komplexe Form so extrahiert hast, daß man sie tatsächlich bauen kann!
    Bei der Arbeit habe ich viel Gebrauch von meinen beiden Häkel- und Stricknadeln gemacht, sowohl fürs formen als auch fürs Festdrücken (unten):

[Attachment 2 below]

As you can see (above), I just couldn't live up to the designers expectations of making the patterns, as well as the parts themselves, fit. I'll gladly live with that, since I consider myself lucky to have got the parts in place at all.

Wie man oben sehen kann, konnte ich die Erwartungen des Konstrukteurs nicht erfüllen, sowohl das Bauteil als auch die Beschriftungen passend hinzubekommen. Ich werde damit gut leben können, ich bin schon froh, daß ich die Teile überhaupt hinbekommen habe.

[Attachment 3 below, two small pictures]

Above left, the last part to go in is shaped. In the background, you may be able to see that the bottom part of the tail-cone has been shaped rather nicely at the rear. This is a result of preshaping against the eraser, and some careful rolling when it was glued together.

The last, top, part had to be trimmed in the same manner as the rounded fuselage parts. It was first glued in place at the top center, then trimmed to fit, edgecoloured, and finally glued down one side at a time. Pressing down with the smallest knitting needle (above right) provides a tight fit to the previous parts, as well as some final shaping.

Oben links wird das letzte Teil geformt. Im Hintergrund kann man sehen, daß der untere Teil des Heckkonus hinten sehr schön geformt ist. Das ist das Ergebnis des Formens gegen den Radiergummi und vorsichtiges Rollen nach dem Verkleben.
    Das letzte obere Teil muss in derselben Weise zurechtgeschnitten werden wie die Rumpfteile zuvor. Es wird zuerst in der Mitte festgeklebt, dann passend zugeschnitten, kantengefärbt, und schließlich eine Seite nach der anderen festgeklebt. Festdrücken mit einer kleinen Stricknadel stellt den genauen Übergang zu den anderen Teilen sicher.

Leif

• Hi Leif,
    congratulations on this indeed very complicated part. At some point during the design I had taken that out and made it easier but it took so much of the character off the aircraft, I decided to leave it in. But you made it exactly as expected :D

Regards
    Jan

• 17. Making the fin - and a very handy tool

I've been itching for an opportunity to try out, and tell you about, a very simple tool that's been on my mind. The reason it hasn't been used until this far into the build, is that so far no embossing has been called for. But the fin - finally - had a number of structural members indicating that they were covered by fabric. They deserved to be enhanced by embossing from the back.

The start is traditional enough - marking the beginning and ends of all lines to be embossed with the help of an ordinary pin (below left):

17. Herstellung des Seitenruders - und ein praktisches Werkzeug
    Mich hat es immer gejuckt, eine Gelegenheti zu finden, ein praktisches Werkzeug, daß ich im Kopf hatte, auszuprobieren und euch davon zu erzählen. Der Grund warum ich es während des Baus bis jetzt nicht verwendet habe, ist, daß es einfach noch keine Notwendigkeit zum prägen gab. Aber das Seitenruder schließlich hatte einige Details, die darauf hindeuteten, daß es mit Stoff bespannt ist. Diese verdienten es, durch Prägung von der Rückseite verbessert zu werden.
    Der Anfang ist ganz traditionell - die Anfänge und Enden der Linien werden mit einer einfachen Nadel markiert (unten links)

[Attachment 1 below; two smaller pictures]

For the embossing, I had been thinking about how a common, dried-out ball-point pen would make the absolute ideal tool, since the ball is made for pressing into the paper without tearing it. A long time ago, therefore, I had cleaned out an old ball-point pen with ethanol, and by now there were absolutely no remnants of ink left.

An important detail is that the embossing (above right) has to be made on a suitably soft surface. The soft back of a scrap piece of vinyl floor material is absolutely ideal.

Für das Prägen hatte ich gedacht, ein normaler ausgetrockneter Kugelschreiber müsste das absolut ideale Werkzeug sein, weil er dafür gemacht wurde, auf das Papier zu drücken ohne es einzureißen. Ich hatte deshalb schon vor längerer Zeit einen Kugelschreiber mit Ethanol durchhgespült und bis jetzt sollten absolut keine Tintenreste mehr vorhanden sein.
    Ein wichtiges Detail ist, daß das Prägen (oben links) auf einer passenden weichen Unterlage geschehen muss. Die weiche Rückseite eines Stück Vinyl-Teppichs hat sich als ideal erwiesen.

[Attachment 2 below]

The result, as viewed from the front (above), is very convincing. If you wish to make engraved lines (panel lines, etc), just draw your lines from front. If you think the effect is too pronounced, try drawing on a slightly harder surface, such as your ordinary cutting-mat, or the front side of the vinyl piece.

[Thanks Gil, for always pointing out the importance of embossing and engraving, and also for encouraging the rest of us to look around the house for tools that can be used for such work!]

Das Ergebnis, von der Vorderseite betrachtet (oben), ist sehr überzeugend. Wenn man eingravierte Bauteilstöße haben möchte, kann man diese einfach von der Vorderseite eindrücken. Wenn der Effekt zu betont ist, kann man einen etwas härteren Untergrund, wie z.B. die Schneidematte, verwenden.
    [Danke Gil, dafür, daß du immer betonst, wie wichtig das Prägen und gravieren ist und auch dafür, daß du uns immer wieder anspornst im Haushalt nach geeigneten Werkzeugen Ausschau zu halten]

Poor man's separated rudders

Many models do not have provisions for building separated rudders and other control surfaces. If you wish to simulate this without going to extremes, just cut out the rudders, and edge-colour the separation dark grey or similar (below left):

Die getrennten Ruder des armen Mannes

Viele Modelle bieten keine separat angeschlagenen Ruder oder Steuerflächen. Wer das aber simulieren möchte, ohne ins Extrem zu gehen, kann einfach die Ruder ausschneiden und die entstandene Kante dunkelgrau einfärben (unten links):

[Attachemtn 3 below; two smaller pictures]

Join the control surfaces again, and spread glue over the joint from the back. Tape the surfaces back together with some ordinary office tape (above right).

Dann werden die Flächen wieder zusammengefügt und etwas Kleber übe rdie Rückseite verteilt. Die Flächen dann mit normalem Tesafilm zusammenkleben (oben rechts).

Increasing the rigidity of the rudder

Rudders with only a single spar for providing structural stability are quite prone to deformation when glueing together the two sides. This time I wanted to try out an intriguing little trick that I have so far only seen in JSC kits. First, however, the all-important shaping of the edges to be joined (below left):

Die Stabilität der Ruder verbessern
    Ruder mit nur einem Holm zur Stabilisierung sind ziemlich anfällig für Verzüge, wenn man die zwei Hälften zusammenklebt. Dieses Mal wollte ich einen bestechenden kleinen Trick ausprobieren, den ich bisher nur bei JSC Bögen gesehen habe. Zuerst jedoch, das überalles wichtige Formen der zu fügenden Kanten (unten links):

[Attachment 4 below; two smaller pictures]

Again, this is done against a big soft eraser. Alternatively, use the soft back side of the scrap piece of vinyl floor material used for embossing, as described above.

Above right, you will see the enforcing strip as it came to me from a JSC kit. Just fold a 2 cm strip of paper and make multiple cuts along the folded edge. After that, you can bend it along seemingly impossible bends, just like a spiral.

Das wird wieder mit einem Radiergummi als Gegenlager gemacht. Alternnativ kann man auch wie oben beschrieben die Rückseite des Teppichstücks nehmen.
    Oben rechts seht ihr den Verstärkungsstreifen, wie ich ihn in einem JSC Bogen gesehen habe. Einfach einen 2cm breiten Streifen Papier in der Mitte falten und viele Einschnitte auf der Seite des Falzes machen. Danach kann man es nahtlos um unmögliche Biegungen biegen, wie eine Spirale.

[Attachment 5 below]

The otherwise flat rear part of the rudder filled out quite nicely and is very stable. You can regulate the thickness even after the glue has dried by pressing on the joint.

A final detail is that while the glue is still wet, use one of your rolling tools to create a softly rounded trailing edge. At this stage, the whole joint is in fact quite malleable, and you can use the rolling tool to even out any irregularities. Take care to make sightings from all directions to avoid any tendency of warping.

Das sonst flache hintere Ende des Seitenruders ist nun sehr schön ausgefüllt und sehr stabil. Man kann die Dicke auch nach dem Trocknen des Klebers noch regulieren, indem man es zusammendrückt.
    Ein letztes Detail ist, daß man solange der Weißleim noch feucht ist, eins der Rollwerkzeuge verwendet, um eine schöne runde Hinterkante zu formen. In diesem Stadium ist die ganze Verbindung in der Tat sehr verletzlich und man kann das Rollwerkzeug verwenden, um alle Ungleichmäßigkeiten auszubügeln. Das Teil immer sorgfältig von allen Seiten betrachten, um das Verziehen zu vermeiden.

Leif

• Hi Leif

That really is a beautiful job you are doing here.

For what it's worth I use an old plastic covered mousepad and a set of knitting needles I half emboss the part from the printed side and then turn the part over and emboss it again over the first pass. I must admit I do it this way because I never transfer it to the back properly using pencils and rulers.

regards

barry

• That's a pretty good trick, you've got there Barry! Would enable a choice between embossing and engraving. In my case, I should probably have engraved the lines marking spars, since the fabric covering probably sagged there, while it must have seemed to protrude where there were ribs.

Leif

• Leif,

Beautiful work on the vertical stabilizer. The reinforcement strip is a great idea. Another thought refers to Eric Goedkoop's method for making wings and stabs. Glueing small, less than 1 mm wide strips to the back side followed by embossing (more like rolling with a soft roller) the front to bring out the strip detail works extremely well. It really gives the "shrunk fabric look" common to dope taughtened fabrics on open frame work.
    I've found an interesting item for making the curved airfoil edges and also for rolling small diameter paper tubes. It is a block print easy carve pad made from the same material as the erasers only much larger. I have several of these pads and contiually use them for both purposes. Rolling quick small diameter tubes is accomplished with the aid of an eraser as a rolling "chaser". The effect can be tested by using one eraser against another with the paper "roller" in between the two.

Best regards,

-Gil

• Hi Leif and Gil,
    I might have mentioned that before. If you are looking for a perfect rolling tool, keep your next broken CD-Rom drive. There are two nice silversteel axles for guiding the laser head in it. They make perfectly smooth and round tools.

Regards
    Jan

Hallo Leif und Gil,
    wahrscheinlich hab ich das schonmal erwähnt. Aber wenn ihr das perfekte Werkzeug zum Runden sucht, bewahrt das nächste kaputte CD-Rom Laufwerk auf. Da drin sind zwei wunderschöne Silberstahl-Achsen für die Führung des Laserkopfes. Die ergeben wunderbar glatte und runde Werkzeuge.

Gruß
    Jan

• 18. Finishing the tail

Making the stab, I continued to be amazed over how beautifully and painlessly the trailing edges could be made to close if you shaped them well over the soft side of the scrap piece of vinyl floor matting (below left):

Fertigstellung des Leitwerks
    Beim bauen des Höhenruders war ich weiterhin begeistert wie schön und einfach man die Endleisten hinbekommt, wenn man sie sorgfältig über der weichen Seite eines Reststücks Vinylteppichs vorformt (unten links):

[Attachment 1 below; two small pictures]

I modified the joining strip by making it less wide (15 mm, then folded in half), and making the cuts tighter, both of which result in less spreading at the tight bends at the tips (above right).

Glueing it up, shaping was continued both from the inside (below left) and most importantly from the outside at the transition between the front edge fold and the joint (below right):

Ich habe den Verbindungsstreifen etwas modifiziert und etwas schmaler gemacht (15mm, dann in der Hälfte gefaltet), und die Einschnitte etwas enger gesetzt. Beides trägt dazu bei, daß die Auffächerung an den engen Kurven der Flügelspitze besser wird (oben rechts). Beim Zusammenkleben wurde das Formen von der Innenseite fortgesetzt (unen links) und ganz wichtig, von aussen am Übergang vom Falz zur Klebeverbindung (unten rechts):

[Attachment 2 below; two small pictures]

Again, while the glue is drying, the paper is quite malleable and many irregularities can be smoothed out.

Attaching the fin (below) I committed the cardinal fault of wanting to get ahead quickly. I should have stopped and trimmed the bottom to achieve a better fit.

Abermals kann man das noch feuchte Papier sehr schön formen und etwaige Unregelmäßigkeiten ausgleichen.Beim Ankleben des Seitenruders habe ich den kardinalen Fehler gemacht, zu schnell vorankommen zu wollen. Ich hätte warten sollen um die untere Kante zurechtzuschneiden und eine bessere Passung zu erzielen.

[Attachment 3 below]

As it were, I had to go back and fill in a few stretches of gaps with a mixture of glue and red acrylic (above). The mixture was a little bit to rich (red), which means a dark joint that will be difficult to get away from.

Never yield to stress - always let things take their time! This is probably not the last time I'll have to tell myself this basic lesson.

After the fin experience, I was quite set to spend a lot of time trimming the stab halves to a perfect fit. But, lo and behold, no trim at all was required; they both fit perfectly (below):

So musste ich also einige Spalte mit einer Mischung aus Kleber und roter Acrylfarbe füllen (oben), Die Mixtur war etwas zu kräftig rot, was in einer dunklen Verbindung resultierte und die schwer wieder loszuwerden sein wird.
    Niemals in Eile verfallen! Sich immer Zeit lassen! Das ist wahrscheinlich nicht das letzte Mal, daß mir selbst diese grundlegende Lektion erzählen muss.
    Nach der Erfahrung mit dem Seitenruder, habe ich mich darauf eingestellt, die beiden Hälften auf perfekte Passung zu trimmen. Aber, siehe da, keine Nacharbeit erforderlich, beide passen perfekt (unten):

[Attachment 4 below]

So, the Comet now has a full tail. What remains of the fuselage are a few details - and the scary nose-cone landing light blister. I don't know when I'll get up the nerve to attempt that.

Also, die Comet hat jetzt ein komplettes Leitwerk. Es fehlen nur noch ein paar Kleinigkeiten am Rumpf - und die furchtbare Verglasung des Landelichts in der Nase. Ich weiss nicht, wann ich mich da rantrauen werde.

Leif