RAF Se5a (scale 1:14 ed Martinez Casalta)

• A friend recently gave me a huge surprise when he sent me
    some printed paper models. It almost felt like having several
    Christmas+birthday celebrations on April.

I like to use the gifts I receive. And the same as I would not
    store a shirt a friend gives me. I feel I cannot leave this models
    stored and uncut.

My opinion is that the best way to honour the friend, and the gift,
    is to use it.

So here's my building thread of Martinez Casalta's RAF Se5a, one of
    the kits I received.

Editorial Martinez Casalta was a Barcelona-based print that produced
    several paper model kits during the 1990s. They were released under
    the commercial name "Paper kit". They published classic cars, a couple
    of airplanes (the beloved Fokker Dr.1, and this Se5a), and even a Mikado loco.

Martinez Casalta is not on business anymore, and the kits they
    released are now hard to find.

The kit comes in a big envelope, containing 10 pages of printed parts
    plus 2 pages of reinforcement parts and a sheet of pre-cut cardboard
    parts. The content can be seen on the back of the envelope.

It also contains a page of very general instructions in three languages
    (Spanish, English, and German). And a big page with assembly diagrams.

I include a photo of some of the pages. For size reference, the orange
    plastic triangle on the bottom right corner is a 32cms (12in) triangle.

And also a photo of my left hand next to some of the cockpit parts.

Assembly will be interesting. Diagrams are very clear and easy to understand.
    But for some strange reason, parts have a very weird numbering order,
    as you can see in the very first diagram.

I will start cutting tonight. First I have to clean my working table,
    wash the cutting mat and order some other things here at my house.

Soon (or maybe tomorrow) the first pictures.

• Dear Ruben,

I´m looking forward to see this ship growing.
    When I was in Madrid the last time, I found the Dr.1, but - despite the high quality of printing and paper/cardboard - I was a bit frustrated about the number of parts. In 1:24, I would say, one could do a bit more.
    Anyway, the construction seemed to be very clear and good.
    So I gave it away - not at least, because WW1-Planes are not really fascinating to me.
    I´d like to see, whether the cut parts of your Se5a match with all the other things.
    Go ahead.

Hasta luego

Till

Is das Kunst, oder kann das wech?

• Thank you for your words.

The Dr.1 from this same publisher looks nice, but I think the same as you: it could be improved.
    At this size, the models are too simple. They can have a lot of more detail.

Part 1 looks easy. After 1 hour of work, this is how the cockpit looks like.

At this size there are one or two things that can be added to improve detail. This will be a good opportunity to learn new skills

I've been looking for a decent cutaway of the plane, But haven't found any. Just small images. I will have to use the pics on Vintage aviator for reference. http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/se-5a-reproduction/se5a-walkaround

However, there are things that are not easily seen. Like the correct shape of the pilot seat. I feel the one from the kit is not completely accurate.

I definitely want to add some detail. Will work on that soon.

Time worked today: 1 hour
    Total time: 1 hour

• Small update.

I worked today on some details of the cockpit. Besides looking for a piece of cloth to simulate the inner sides, I advanced a little on the floor.

Pedals built from scratch. Control cables made using jewelery wire.

Not installed yet, only overlayed to see how they will look. And a photo showing the original floor of the cockpit besides the new one I'm detailing.

I'm not looking for an ultra-realistic museum-quality model. I'm just trying to get something nice that I enjoy in the process.
    But I think the changes made will help a lot to the looks of the final model

Time today: 3h 45m
    Total time: 4h 45m

• In the past few days I've been working on this.
    Slowly but steadily.

Added some more details to the cockpit, based on
    several photos. Far from a perfect replica, I know,
    but as I said, I just wanted to improve the kit, not
    to make an ultra-detailed model (I don't have the
    expertise for that yet ).

The seat was heavily changed, and added a bit of
    natural leather to simulate the cushions.

Adding the details and assembling up to this point
    took me 11 hours and 30 min, for a total work time of
    16 hours and 15 mins.

• Buenas, Ruben,

this looks fine. Regarding my memories of his Dr.1, I would say Casala did a good job here too, but I like the way you stuff this plane with details. Related to the size of the model it offers obviously lots of opportunities to pimp it. Great!
    Especially the ECM-Stuff on the last picture I like very much - mainly forgotten in these years.
    And of course the toy-plane for boring patrols too.

Cheers

Till

• Hola, Till!

This big kits are a joy to assemble, and the opportunities to add details are great. I've also found that the way they are designed are nothing similar to the way other models are.

Looks like the publishers tried to cover as much audience as possible (with varied experience), while keeping a good-looking model. A novice builder would undoubtedly enjoy assembling this bird, since the result is impressive. A more advanced modeler would enjoy adding more detail to make it even better.

About the Fokker Triplane, I was going through the instructions and it looks even easier (just 21 assembly steps and about 120 parts, while the Se5a has something like 250 parts and 36 assembly steps). The triplane also has good opportunities for detailing the cockpit. And from the photos on the cover, it is equally nice looking when finished.

Not to mention that the rotary engine... actually rotates! =)

The only detail of the triplane that can be argued upon is this one:
    [Blocked Image: http://fotos.miarroba.es/fo/17f5/2D4DEFA4F9274DA39FF62B4DA39FDF.jpg]
    Unfortunately, the staff at Martinez Casalta failed a bit on the documentation.

However, most people won't even notice it at all, and it remains noticeable only to the red triplane fans (like me). But I think I can live with it :P. Or if I'm in the mood when I decide to build it, I may scan the part to photoshop the correct serial.

Regards!

Ruben

Ruben Andres Martinez
    Bogota - Colombia

Bitte verzeihen Sie meine Sprache. Ich spreche kein Deutsch. Ich benutze einen Online-Übersetzer.

• Eine Reihe von kleinen und Zeitarbeit haben mich verhindert
    Vieles von der Arbeit in dieser Wohnung ou autres Projekte.

Es ist, was ich sehr wenig in den letzten Wochen weit fortgeschritten.

Allerdings kann ich teilen sich ein paar Fotos (geringe Qualität
    Ergriffen aufgrund Mit einem alten Handy Them).

Hinten am Rumpf und an den fertigen Cockpit.
    Sehen Sie, wie kein Trichter verwendet werden. Stattdessen geben Blöcke der Form
    Um die Robustheit und stell Struktur.

Es gibt keine Probleme, wenn Sie passend geschnitten und falten Richtig.
    Kleben ist einfach, und Aktien sehr schön gemacht.

Bis zum nächsten Mal!

Dieser Teil: 3 Stunden
    Gesamtzeit: 19h, 15m

A series of small and temporary jobs have prevented me from working much in this plane or other projects. It is very little what I have advanced in the past weeks.

However, I can share a couple of photographs (low quality due to them being taken with an old cell phone).

Rear of the fuselage finished and attached to the cockpit. Look how no formers are used. Instead, blocks give the shape and add sturdiness to the structure.

There are no fitting problems if you cut and fold properly.

Glueing is easy, and parts fit very nicely.

See you next time!

This part: 3 hours
    Total time: 19H, 15m

• I finally have some more time to work on this model.
    It is interesting, and has been a good practice. But as you know, I am not going for an ultra-detailed model. I dont want to spend much time on details that take me much long, or that can disappoint me if I dont get them right.

So I decided to avoid detailing some things of the fuselage, and will leave them as they are.

But as you can see, I did made some details, like changing the flat black part of the cockpit rim, and use instead a piece of genuine leather for the rim. I hope it adds to the overall finish.

I may be not building a highly detailed model, but I know Im building a model that is giving me satisfaction.

Stabilizer and tail are finished and assembled. The kit suggested just scoring from behind to form the ribs. But I used the same technique I have applied before: thin paper strips behind to mark the ribs:

I changed the tail skid, and made one with wood; small change because the original one was kind of ugly and extremely simple.

I am not thinking on major modifications to the exterior of the kit. I know I will attempt some wood struts and landing gear supports, and I will also try a wood propeller. Wheels are fixed in the kit, but I will try to make them movable. Apart from that, and detailing the rigging, I will not apply much detail to the main body frame.

Stabilizer and tail are almost finished, and ready for assembly. This will be huge!

Time in this parts: 3 hours.
    Total time: 22H 15m

• In the past days I had some free time, so I used it to finish this model.

Upper and lower wings are assembled almost the same way. Inner structures with a couple of ribs, and a spar to support the wings.

Wings struts. I decided to make them in wood instead of the original paper part.

Undercarriage was also made with wood. The result is much better than the original paper part.

The original propeller is too simple, and since I already started making some changes I thought a wood propeller with a
    proper shape would be even better.

Wheels are made in the traditional way: sandwiched layers of cardboard, sanded and painted. The wheels covers were
    scored from behind to simulate the spokes. This wheels are a bit different to the ones included in the kit. The
    original wheels were too simple.

• Some more photos, including one of me holding the model to show how big it really is.

And that’s all.
    This is an interesting model. Probably because of its size the way most parts are designed are not like any other paper model. That may be confusing for someone used to smaller paper models (like me).

Instructions are presented in the way of diagrams, but without further indications this means one have to study the
    parts for some time to understand how they are supposed to go. But once you get familiar with the way it is
    assembled, things come easy.

If the modeler is looking for an accurate reproduction, this may be somehow disappointing. Despite its size (49 X 61 cms - 19 X 24 inches) lots of details are simplified. Scratch is the solution if one really loves the plane and wishes to make a better looking model.

One thing I found nice was is that the kit already includes a movable propeller. However it is too simple and ugly. If the original propeller of the kit is replaced by a custom made it really adds a lot to the model.

However, the wheels are strangely fixed. And that’s something I personally dislike, and found very strange for a model this size. The mechanism for the moving propeller is more complex than making moving wheels. Some improvisation is useful to make better wheels.

In total, I spent 57 hours and six minutes assembling the whole model, including the time needed to make the wood parts and the additional details.

All comments and critiques are welcome.

Thanks for reading!

• Well done - very well done!

I like this beauty and 1/14 is a great scale for a small model like this. Thanks a lot for your construction report!

Old Rutz

Gründungsmitglied der HobbyModel-Gang und Luft46-Gang

• Dear Ruben,

a week ago or so, I thought to drop you a line about your plane, Que tal? and so.

But now you finished it. Great! Looks fantastic. And your imrovements are impressing.

I like to see mor of your work.

Best regards

till

• Rutz and Till: thank you very much for your kind words :)

I will surely try to make more nice things in the near future!

Regards,

Ruben.

Ruben Andres Martinez
    Bogota - Colombia

Bitte verzeihen Sie meine Sprache. Ich spreche kein Deutsch. Ich benutze einen Online-Übersetzer.

• Hello Ruben Andres!

I have just seen your construction report on the S. E. 5a.

In my opinion a very remarkable model.

It is a good complement to the Fokker Dr I in the same scale.

I also built this model once in the past years.

I would love to have the model sheet again,

to be able to build the model again.

Es gibt nichts Gutes:
    außer man tut es!

Erich Kästner

Etiam si omnes - ego non

• Greetings!

What a great job you did on this model. The size of the kit is really suitable for improvement. I am very sad that this kit is no longer available, I also think the Dr.1 is great.

thanks for the construction report best regards to Colombia