Sailing ship modeling

• Three decades ago, I was keen about wooden sailing ship especially so called 'dockyard model'. This kind of model has planking above water line but under water no planking so that framing is visible after completion. Also some of deck plates are not boarded up.

At that point I attempted to make one dockyard model but after building frames as you will see in attached picture I was exhausted and stop building. Since then no progres and will never be finished eternaly because cutting wood is really exhausting.

Inspired by member's superb build of sailing ship from paper I want to make dockyard model from paper and took out drawings of French ship 'Le Tonnant'

Does anybody know someone ever made dockyard model from paper?
    If somebody made, I would like to refer to it.

• Yes, I know a dockyard model of paper that is threehoundred years old. I have a picture on my website (bildrum.se/paper.htm)
    The model is in our maritime museum in Stockholm.
    With best wishes
    Gunnar

• Hello Gunnar,

Thank you for your information.
    I thought all original dockyard model were built by wood so, it is my surprise.
    One advantage of this model for lazy modeler like me is that we dont need to make entire ship. We dont need to make yard, jackstay, rigging and etc.

What I want to make dockyard model is like this (this is wooden)
    http://www.geocities.jp/ropepage/index.htm
    But, it might be difficult to make this kind, leaving underwater section unplanked, from paper because after filed frames it will cause unsharpened edges. Ah, if it becomes so, we can plank underwater section like the model you showed us.