Ilyushin Il-14 (1 : 33)

• Hi

I would like to present building report of the model of Ilyushin Il-14 airliner of my design. The model is in scale 1:33 and includes interior and moveable surfaces. The model will be published as a free download. The model is of in markings of Polish airline LOT but as it is designed in photoshop it is simple to modify and I intend to provide markings of other airlines in the future.
    Here is a sample of fuselage:
    [Blocked Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/Sampleoffuselage.jpg]
    Here are parts of the interior:
    [Blocked Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/Pilotsandnavigatorscabin.jpg]
    Passenger seats:
    [Blocked Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/Passangerseats.jpg]
    The next sequence of photos shows how the interior, exterior and transparencies are constructed. This is the navigators cabin,which was lined with quilted sound absobing material. Card is printed on both sides. Window is cut out and the "blanks" are used as pattern for transparencies which are cut out of thick but "limp" polypropylene and inserted in the holes. Parts in lower left hand side of the first photo are printed on thin "sticky-label" paper then cut out, edges retouched and then glued on top "trapping" the transparency. Similar part is the attached on the inside. The whole assembly is then cut out, edges retouched and part formed.
    [Blocked Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/Fuselage1.jpg]
    [Blocked Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/Fuselage3.jpg]
    [Blocked Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/Fuselage2.jpg]
    Similar for pilot's cabin:
    [Blocked Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/Fuselage5.jpg]
    [Blocked Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/Fuselage4.jpg]

Regards Andrew

links for images edited, Old Rutz

• This is going to be a fabulous model!! I will look forward to download it, when available.
    Can you tell us how to print with sufficient accuracy so that the backside print is exactly on the right place? What I mean is, when you cut out the window on the front sife of the print, how will it align correctly with the print on the backside?
    Good luck,
    Mixbou

• Andrew,

thank you for these first impressions of your model, it looks greeeeat!

I want you to ask if you could uoplad your images on our server. This yould have the advantage to have a shorter load time due to preview images but the invoncenient that the images won't be embedded in the text.

Cheers, Old Rutz

Gründungsmitglied der HobbyModel-Gang und Luft46-Gang

• Dear Andrew,

looks really great and I'am keen to receive your download link soon. It's also nice to see that you are contructing the king-size scale 1:33. I will watch you progress frequently.

=D> =D> =D>

Is it the early Il-14P for 18 to 26 passengers or the later extended and more often used Il-14M for 24-28 passengers ? By the way I found that this model was also built in GDR and CSSR as a license called AVIA 14 / 14P respectively Avia 14-32 (Il-14M).

mixbou:

Andrew has made the inner surfaces -on the back side- with an excess so the accuracy is neglegtible.

Best Regards and good luck

René

....es ist 5 vor 33

Demokratie ist alternativlos!

"sei a Mensch"

• Hello Andrew,

@) :yahoo:

Wonderfull to see another classic Prop-Liner in the big scale. I appreciate very much the sophisticated design and the perfect details. =D> =D> =D>

Thank you very much in advance !!!

:super:

best regards
    Rainer

• Hi

Thank you for your interest and kind comments.

The model is meant to be Il-14P in 18 seat configuration. This particular plane was delivered to LOT in 1955. The model shows its second paint scheme from early 60s. I suspect that the colour scheme and 18 seat interior may not go together. Throughout their service life Il-14Ps were not only repainted but also modified - seating increased, (possibly in two stages to 26 and then 32) galley and astrodome removed, extra windows added etc.
    Documentation on passanger planes is not as readily available as for WW2 planes. Many WW2 planes are now displayed as museum pieces, carefully restored according to extensive research. With few exceptions passanger planes survive in derilict condition. Available photos, especially of interiors most often show the plane in its last operating configuration, typically modernised with extra second hand seats or in cargo configuration.
    I have used data from Russian 1990 book (which included drawings, including those of the interior), supplemented by from Polish publication "Typy Broni i Uzbrojenia No81" and from photos found on internet. Interior colours are a guess- 1950s-60 photos are all in black and white.

Regarding downloading images on Kartonbau server- I do not know
    how- is this the "Attachment" option?

Regarding publication of the model- this still requires organising and numbering the parts and instructions- which I intend to be a combination of drawings and annotated photos.

I have experimented with masking and spraying card using "chrome" spray can to simulate aluminium and results are encouraging. Demarcation line on the fuselage between sprayed and unsprayed areas is covered by parts printed on sticky label paper. The printing on sprayed areas - rivets, lines, highlights etc need to be significantly increased in intensity to be visible- but these are already drawn "intense" in the photoshop file and "muted" in the model as shown. The sprays come in varying degrees of brightness but to my taste less bright look better. Gluing is more difficult and my preferred acetone based glue reacts with sprayed surface.

Andrew

Andrew

• Hi

First set of photos iis of the nose section. The "tip" is drawn in a form of a petal. Extensions facilitate cutting out and forming. After the "tip" it is lined internally with a layer of thin paper glued in to reinforce the "tip". Then the window for traqnsparency is cut-out and transparency glued in.
    The next set shows construction of the cabin. This could have turned out better if I had glued the instrument panel bulkhead to the joiner, then glued this assembly to the cabin and then glued the nose instead of gluing the nose to the cabin and then gluing in the bulkhead.
    The last set shows the inner section of the wing. The wing to fuselage fillets have quite complicated shape. It is essential to wait for the glue to set before assembling each set of components.

Andrew

• Hy Kangaroo !

Just passing by and wondering if you could show us any advance ?

best regards,
    Wolfgang

In principio erat glutinis
    Den Kartonbauer in seinem Lauf, hält weder Bogen- noch Klebermangel auf!

• Ich habe den Thread hier geteilt.

Kangaroo (Andrew) hat mitgeteilt, dass er aus beruflichen Gründen die Konstruktion der Il-14 unterbrochen hat.
    Der weitere (jetzt neue) Thread befasst sich mit seiner Konstruktion einer Spitfire: Hier

Fertig: MS WILHELM GUSTLOFF, 1:250

Aufwachen - es ist 5 vor 33...

• Andrew,

quite interested in this kit.

Will it be possible to purchase this kit with duraluminium surfaces printed in metallic? Also, an edition bearing Aeroflot markings

• I am both happy to see thre result of, and no end impressed by, this effort. This must be the first time I see a model of an aircraft with true double walls, outer and inner skin with space between them. Plus you have obviously solved the tricky problem of getting the inner details in place.

Very elegant solution, to slide the floor into place. Just the way you would dream about doing it.

I have the Modelik kit of the SCHE-2, and have given a lot of thought to how actually build it according to the designer's intention, but have given up to it. There, you you were to apply the inner skin to the outer when already closed, and add the inner detailing with the floor in place. I couldn't see how that could be done with any prospect of success.

You have found the logical and most elegant solution. Very satisfying. Congratulations, Andrew!

All that inner detailing almost cries for the option to build the model with cutaway sections on one side, also to show some of the built-up structure. Another challenge!

Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

Edited 2 times, last by Leif Ohlsson ().

• Hello Andrew,

i share the appreciation of Leif: Your efforts in construction is very innovative and inspiring for papermodelling.

Even your seats inside....texture, construction and building are coherent in simulating the real thing!

Herzliche Grüße
    Gerald

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm walking! @fats_domino

• Hi again

Double skinned fuselage with windows is well beyond my construction capabilities. Construction is as shown on attached photos.

[Blocked Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/FUSELSEGMENT1.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/FUSELSEGMENT2.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/FUSELSEGMENT3.jpg]

Model would benefit from providing interor lighting by LEDs- this option will be included.- 2 lights in main cabin, one in the "kitchen" and one in the navigator's compartment also providing through door light to the pilot's cabin.

Andrew

• Good day.
    Kangaroo - excellent work!
    With impatience I wait for result of your work to collect this model.
    I wish good luck in your work.

PS A little question for you.
    I develop the model of the plane, just only in 3D. In the future I wish to try to make its paper model.
    Tell please, what programs you use for creation of development?

• Hi

I use only Photoshop to make the model.

Briefly- for fuselage:
    1) Place all the drawings showing all views- elevation, plan from top, plan from bottom and cross-sections into Photoshop and adjust the size to correspond to 1:33 scale.
    2) Decide on location of splits and then draw the elevation and plan, connecting the split points by straight lines.
    3) Draw the bulkheads corresponding to the split locations
    4) Print elevation and bulkheads, glue on cardboard and make 3-D model of "half-fuselage".
    5) Draw vertical centerline
    6) Draw half of developed center fuselage on say left side of the centerline. In this case of the cylinder the width pi x diameter/2, which Photoshop will provide by scaling the diameter of the cross section by 157%. (100 x pi /2)
    7) Draw the windows, panel lines and even rivets on this section by tracing them from superimposed 2d drawings. Note that a portion of 2-d drawing close to centerline is almost the same as on the developed section. That is , if you have elevation and top and bottom plan, you can trace about half of the 2-D drawing directly to the developed section. The bits in between can then be "interpolated".
    8) Copy the drawing to the right side of the centerline (copy + flip horizontal).
    9) Print developed section and associated bulkheads and joiners and glue into cylinder.
    10) Then move on to adjacent sections. Wrap the 3-D model made in 4 above in tracing paper, clamp the paper and trace the bulkheads in pencil. This gives the develpment of the non-cylindrical parts. Scan and insert scanned image into Photoshop. The trace the outline, draw "best guess" lines and rivets , copy and flip horizontal.
    11) Cut-out , including joiners and bulkheads, glue together and see how it fits with the first section.
    12). Of course it will not be a perfect fit. So mark the "misfits", then adjust the outline in Photoshop and try again until satisfactory fit is obtained.

It is not as difficult or tedious as it may appear to be. Panel lines and rivets are a great help. For example - if you see a misalignment of the line by say 1.5 rivet spacings or gap between first and second panel lines of about 2 rivet spaces you can judge the required corrections. With practice 2 to 3 tries get pretty good fit and alignment.

The other advantage , for me at least is that I see the actual model "growing" in stages.

[Blocked Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/FUSELAGESKELETON.jpg]

• Good evening.
    Thanks for the detailed answer.
    Interesting way.
    I use the Rhinoceros for model creation.
    This program has very friendly interface.
    Unique problem of this program that it does not have possibility to cover model the raster image.
    It will be necessary to think as then to put the image on a skin.

• Andrew - you are doing an awesome job !

Keep up and i´am looking forward for completion of your great model..

best regards,
    Wolfgang

In principio erat glutinis
    Den Kartonbauer in seinem Lauf, hält weder Bogen- noch Klebermangel auf!

Edited once, last by Wolfgang Pesek ().

• It is so very beautiful - and most impressive! - L.

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• What a great design for a model of a 1950's airliner! I can't wait to download it and start building it.
    I was wondering what the two little windows are in the very nose of the aircraft. Were they meant for a bomber vision, like all Russian airliners used to have in the Cold War era?
    It is also interesting to see how the Iljushin engineers solved the aerodynamic problem of getting as little interference in the airstream between wing and fuselage by designing a large fairing at the leading edge of the wing, resulting in a more or less perpendicular mating of the wing at the underside of the fuselage. I am truly impressed.
    Thanks!

• Unglaublich Schön!
    Sie stellen eine neue Standart....
    :D
    Binn sehr gespannt.

Grüsze aus Holland
    Willem

Grüsze aus Holland

Willem E.

Sorry für meinen Blumenkohlen-Deutsch

• Dear Andrew,

so far you show us a really beautiful construction and build - keep up this excellent work, the result will be just 8o 8o 8o

Old Rutz

• Very impressive and beautifully designed!

Any idea, anyone, about the two little windows in the nose? Maybe they are just landinglights, but then a rectangel shape is unusual.

I noticed, that the exhaust follows the same "jetpipe" effect as was used in the Convair liners.
    greetings!

• Absolutely Fabulous! =)
    Wirklich Groszartig!
    Words cannot describe how good this is! :]
    Woerter können nicht Beschreiben wie schön Dieses ist!
    And even better: finally another civilian airplane. ;)
    Und besser noch: Endlich wieder ein Zivil-Flugzeug.

Greetings from Holland
    Grüsze aus Holland
    Willem E.
    (AKA Ponytail)

Grüsze aus Holland

Willem E.

Sorry für meinen Blumenkohlen-Deutsch

• Congratulations, Kangaroo :) :)
    Amazing work!! Great model of a great classic plane! =)
    And big Thanks for your Spitfire :)

Best Regards,
    Sergio

• Congratulations, Andrew, on a most impressive and beautiful model, your own design, and civilian to boot. Just great! - Leif