Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um Papiermodelle, Kartonmodellbau und Bastelbogen. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Golden Bear

Schüler

• »Golden Bear« ist der Autor dieses Themas

Registrierungsdatum: 23. Juni 2007

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 9. August 2009, 02:12

Hoche, 1:200

I have loved the Hoche since the first time I saw a photo of her. She appeared to be a floating castle. Three years ago my first attempt at a scratchbuilt card model was a 1:400 version of Hoche.

I have been working for some time on the computer work and recently began to lay out and build the frames.

Since this is probably my favorite ship subject I intend to indulge myself and put in all the detail that I can. Fortunately, I have a very good friend in Renaud who loves these French ships as much as I do. So we have copies of all the existing plans and many, many photographs.

The model is built with a removable hull so that I can display it either as waterline or full hull. I have been a waterline person exclusively until recently because I like my models to look like their photos, where I cannot see the hull. But recently I built hulls for Inflexible and for Victoria and have come to appreciate their appearance. But since I cannot make up my mind about which I like best, I will design my models to be convertible!

The first photos show the frames along with my original 1:400 model of Hoche. My desire to include detail such as the main deck 13.8cm guns, along with the complexity of the side barbettes, causes the upper framing to be complicated. We have had some discussion about the hull color, which is "Vert de Schweinfurt." There is a fine model of Hoche in Paris with a red hull. The French navy used a red lead paint on its ships up until around 1880. However, this paint did not protect well against marine growths. They converted to the green paint which contained an arsenic compound. Hoche was launched in 1886 and it is reasonable to me that as a new ship she had the green hull. The Paris model was clearly completed some time before the ship was launched and thus does not need to be taken as definitive.

The final photo is of a test build of a 13.8cm gun. It does not have edge coloring and such. There are 14 of these on the main gun deck and another four two decks up on the corners of the structure.

Carl
»Golden Bear« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • P8060038.jpg
  • P8080041.jpg
  • P8080042.jpg
  • P8070042.jpg
  • P8060037a.jpg

Golden Bear

Schüler

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 10. August 2009, 21:31

A little more progress, with the Rev B framing. Gun deck artwork also installed. None of the top frames are yet glued.

Carl
  • P8100046.jpg
  • P8100047.jpg

Zaphod

Erleuchteter

Registrierungsdatum: 24. April 2005

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 10. August 2009, 22:05

Hello Carl,

the framing clearly shows the unique form of the Hoche. Wasn´t she dubbed "Le grand hotel" because of the fine accomodation she provided for her crew?

Zaphod

Golden Bear

Schüler

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 11. August 2009, 02:04

Hi Zaphod, I have read that it was called the Grand Hotel because of its substantial accomodations for Admiral, Captain and officers. From examination of the plans, their berths and dining rooms, etc. were all above the waterline - far above it in most cases.

Carl

Golden Bear

Schüler

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 20. August 2009, 01:16

Hello again. I've actually done quite a bit of work but at this stage it does not show up as very much. I fitted all the hull sides and tested a proto of the barbette structure. As a result I redesigned the frames. At this point I have started to attach the hull sides finally. I needed to install the 13.8cm gun carriages first and design and install the inset windows at the stern.

Carl
  • P8190036.jpg
  • P8190037.jpg

Renaud

Schüler

• »Renaud« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 1. März 2006

Beruf: Lehrer

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 23. August 2009, 23:40

The sailors called it "Grand Hôtel" only because it looks to: you have only to look at the numerous "Grand Hôtel" built from the Second Empire onwards, and especially those at the turn of the century close to the sea where the fashionnable beachs and resorts were, to understand how these designs may look similar, seen at a distance, with balconies, gangway etc..
And some said that William II, at seeing the Hoche when the Kiel canal was opened, was amazed up to say "Quelle belle cible" : of course, this ship was top heavy too much.
Renaud

Golden Bear

Schüler

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 29. August 2009, 04:28

Much progress has been achieved. Side and end walls of the main structure are all glued in place. Both barbette structures are assembled. The gun bases both rotate also.

The center structure is only set into place at this point. The two sides are only joined by the wall to the cross deck (also not glued) at the top. The fit is very tight which pleases me.

Carl
  • P8280040.jpg
  • P8280041.jpg
  • P8280042.jpg
  • P8280043.jpg
  • P8280044.jpg

Golden Bear

Schüler

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 24. September 2009, 16:23

I have been working hard at Hoche and have added many things. There are so many details to put in that the progress appears very slow.

Most recently I needed to remove the aft structure over the turret to redesign and rebuild it because I had not realized that the top deck was actually recessed into the aft bridge structure.

I have been using photo etch to make ladder railings and other detailed parts such as the boat cranes. I hope to complete the structures on the high cross deck soon and then to move to the forward part of the ship.

Carl
  • P9140042.jpg
  • P9140043.jpg
  • P9140044.jpg

Golden Bear

Schüler

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 25. September 2009, 18:56

And here is a little more progress. All the little details take me quite a while to build correctly so it is not exactly speeding ahead. She is looking a little more like the ship I think.

Carl
  • P9250042.jpg
  • P9250043.jpg

Zaphod

Erleuchteter

Registrierungsdatum: 24. April 2005

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 25. September 2009, 20:35

Hello Carl,

looks like another masterpiece taking shape.

Will the stacks be next?

Zaphod

Golden Bear

Schüler

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 26. September 2009, 15:11

Hi Zaphod! Yes, I am working on the design for the funnel and the other forward structures right now. There are also some details that need to be added to what is shown in the photos.

Carl

Social Bookmarks