HO scale in paper

• HO scale ... in paper
    Hi all...

Here's something I've been working on. A freight car, in HO scale, but I thought I had better try to do the trucks(boggies) first. So far, I,m satisfies enough, that there could be hope for the whole car!

The Idea is to have trucks(wheels)... made of paper, that will actually work on HO track.

The first picture is a close-up of the side frame of modern roller bearing trucks.
    Next, ... is the whole wheel set.... and it seems to work OK...
    Last... is my paper wheel set..... mounted on an original plastic car... the wheels on the right are (gulp) plastic...

[Blocked Image: http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3503/hotrucksbo4.jpg]

... Then some close ups....

PICS 1 and 2, below show the making and assembly of the four parts of the wheel. Inner and outer disks, wheel tread and a spacer. The treads and spacer are made by rolling 20# paper on a dowel and then slicing off 1mm(spacer) and 2mm(tread) rings. The spacer is sized to fit inside the tread. Outer disk fits inside the wheel tread. This assembly is then glued to the inner disk (flange). Both inner and outer disks are "dished" slightly.... approximately prototypical, but also makes the wheel much more ridgid than it would be with flat disks. My "DISHING TOOL" is a high tech piece of equipment that may appear to be a marble glued to a golf tee.... but, that is purely coincidental!!

3 .... Parts for one axle..
    4 .... Sideframes and coupler box ... making the springs. Fine copper wire (.4mm ??) wound on a common pin ... then cut into short lengths

[Blocked Image: http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8710/wheeldetailxa6.gif]
    .... more to follow... I hope!!

.Bill

• hallo Bill

willst du mit diesen Drehgestellen auf einer Eisenbahnanlage fahren?
    also die Aufbauten aus Karton bauen und Handelsübliche Drehgestelle von einem billigen Wagen OK,- aber so herum,-geht das wirklich

Do you really want to get these boxcars running with self-made bogies? I would rather spend them bogies from a second hand bought car, but in this way......amazing, with all respects,

Kind Regards,

mfg
    Nora

kanns mal jemand übersetzen,- Danke
    fertig, eskatee

Eisenbahn nur noch 0, natürlich Spur,-
    arbeite ja wieder 4 Tage im Monat, sonst Rente

außer,- gelegentlich ein Kartonmodell,- man gönnt sich ja sonst nichts
    z.Z SMS Baden, aber bitte nur 1:400

• Ich werd's mal versuchen...

Hello Bill,

Nora asked if you want to run the car with the paper trucks on a real HO - layout (I'm interested to know that too). To make the body of the car from card and use some trucks for HO kits would probably be a more common way to use card in model railroading. Will it really work with paper made trucks?

I'd like to see more of your paper HO models

With my best regards

• Hello brakeman and nora...

Yes... I am actually trying to make a set of HO truck that will run on a regular layout!......
    Ja... wenigstens probiere ich es mal aus......
    [Blocked Image: http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1081/wheelseter1.gif]

Still testing.. slooowly...
    I don't really think that any serious model railroad would equip his rolling stock with paper trucks, but it's fun to see if it can actually be done. Result look promissing.. so, far! This particular set of trucks has a few scale miles(kilometers) on it already The flange is coated with pencil lead... if you look close.. you can see the marks from running!!
    Ich denke nicht, das es eine serioese Modelleisenbahngesellschaft gibt, die seine Wagen auf Papierdrehgestelle
    fahren laesst, aber es ist immerhin lustig, zu sehen und heraus zu finden, ob's klappt. Bis auf jetzt ist der Resultat vielversprechend; diese Drehgestelle haben schon einige Meilen auf dem Buckel; der Spurkranz hat eine Schicht aus Bleistift bekommen.... wenn du genau hinsiehst...da kannst du dem verschleiss waehrend dem Fahrt beobachten!!

In the New Year... I hope to have more done!!
    Im Neujahr....hoffe ich auf baldige Fortsetzung!!

...later... Bill

...spaeter....Rechnung,oh sorry, ...Bill

trl eskatee

Danke für die übersetzung. ... Bill