[FERTIG]Frauenkirche Dresden/Schreiber-Bogen 1:300

• Seeing many excellently built building model here, I couldnt resist the attraction of building my own.
    I bought Berlin Dome and Frauenkirche Dresden published by Schreiber-Bogen.
    For me Berlin Dome is more attractive than Frauenkirche but considering size and number of parts Ive opted for Frauenkirche as adequate for starter of my first architecture building.

The kit consists of 13 A4 sheets and to my delight it has English instruction which I didnt expect.
    Thanks to English instruction I learned history of this Blessed Lady Church and the most impressing story is its reconstruction after the WWII.

First cut out basement then cut out walls and windows.
    After I had assembled one wall, I knew one of key points to success will be firmly folded lines. If folding is sloppy, corner of columns will tilt. All columns and walls should be right angle to the basement as a matter of course.
    And a comment by Ricardo I remember which was mentioned somewhere in a architecture construction report that is to leave reasonable length of paper around gluing tab so that it makes easy to fold narrow gluing tabs.
    So, I folded all lines on walls before cutting out window openings, and for windows leave certain amount of paper to make folding easier.

• Hello Yu,

I am thrilled to see you put your toe in the water with this lovely church.

Yu, do you know what impresses me even with your first post? It is your interest in the history associated with the structure. That is what makes architectural builds so interesting.

You are so right. This church was a survivor. It resisted the cannonballs of Fredrick the Great and even the wrecking ball after WWII.

When you reach the golden cross atop the cupola, its significance will mean a lot to you.

Enjoy the build, Yu. This building is in good hands.

John

• Yu,

if you need some pictures of the church don't hesitate to ask. I'll be in Dresden for 5 more months so it should be no problem to help you whenever you need.

Cheers, Old Rutz

Gründungsmitglied der HobbyModel-Gang und Luft46-Gang

• Hi John,

Is it a 7.6-meter-high golden cross crafted by Alan Smith in London. I learned he is the son of a pilot who participated in the bombings of Dresden. Its a beautiful story that a son of pilot who bombed Dresden dedicated to his work to restoration of the church and people from outland cooperated together for restoration.

Hi Rutz,
    I do appreciate your kind offer. So, I have nothing to worry in building my model.

First, glued connecting pieces between cylinder and walls checking angle so that all walls stand right angles to the basement but later I knew it wasnt necessary because the kit has plate on which markings are printed where top of walls should be glued.

Original von John
    ... This church was a survivor. It resisted the cannonballs of Fredrick the Great and even the wrecking ball after WWII.

Hallo John,

The "Frauenkirche" survived the bombs of WW II only for two days. She burned out and crashed. So she remained for about 40 years:

[Blocked Image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cd/Frauenkirche_1970.jpg/180px-Frauenkirche_1970.jpg]
    wikimedia.org

Fertig: MS WILHELM GUSTLOFF, 1:250

Aufwachen - es ist 5 vor 33...

Original von Ricleite
    Yu, you are making a church and a helicopter at the same time? 8o
    This one is a very good choice. If I remember well, it has no parts to be reinforced with card. However, I used a lot of card templates to ease construction...

Yes I am making a church and a helicopter at the same time. There is a good point. While waiting for glue or paint to dry we can make another model. It is good for me hot-headed modeler.

After started a church build I found out paper is thiner than airplane model. I have struggled with paper for wall to straighten them up.
    Why didn't I come up with the idea of reinforcement?
    I'll try it for other part. Thank you for your advice

Hi Wiesel and John,
    Thank you for your information.
    As John mentioned, to learn history associated with the structure is really interesting. In Europe there are many old buildings with history. Now it is easy to learn each buildings history through interenet. Architecture model will give me different pleasure.

Today made eaves like object beneath the high windows and one wall between eaves and ground floor.

• Hi Yu,

If I recall correctly, the abutments to the stairs are a weak point on this model. I ran into the same problem with the Institute steps.

Getting rid of the tabs was a good move Yu. Now, perhaps you can build up the abutments with laminated card. Then you will know that the abutment walls will be parallel , plumb at the leading edges and their caps will be horizontal and parallel to the ground. Because they are attached to the stairs, they tend to tip outward.

Just a thought.
    John

• I didn't found these stairs as a weak point of the model, though. Since I am the inventor of unusual fixing and weighing formation shortly after glueing I'd like to show you how I have fixed these stairs...

[Blocked Image: http://www.pielawa.de/bilder/forum/karton/frauenkirche-tip.jpg]

I have assembled the stair in the usual way, attached them to the ground and fixed the walls to their precise stands with a rubber eraser, getting some impact from a drawing weight from above - et voilá, after a short time the stairs were fixed, stood correct and uptight and didn't bend or warp at all.

Best regards from
    [Blocked Image: http://www.pielawa.de/bilder/jenssign.gif]

Um ein tadelloses Mitglied einer Schafherde sein zu können, muss man vor allem ein Schaf sein. — Albert Einstein

• HI John and Jens,

Thanks both for your valuable advices.

It comes as a fresh reminder that there are different approaches to make same kit.

That is quite interesting.

Plastic eraser!! Even genius architect Antonio Placido Guillermo Gaudi i Cornet wouldnt have thought of it.

Taking those valuable advices into consideration, my solution at this point in case I make similar one in the future is that I am going to cut off original gluing tabs provided in a kit and glue replacement, which is colored red in the sketch, so that level of landings will become same and there will be no gap.

About abutment I will try both with laminated card and plastic eraser, which I brought from office today since there is no plastic eraser at home because we seldom wright on paper. Paper is used only for paper modeling.

Today proceed to parts number 12 which are small tower(?) on the roof. Here I made attempt in assembling them. One is cut out some of gluing tabs and the other is made with gluing tabs.
    The result? with tab is much easier. My attempt seems to end up in vain. But I do not care because we are not pursuing economical efficiency :)

• After assembled rest of small towers above high windows, assemble four parts that has circular window located above high windows then conical shape roof above semi circular wall.
    In scoring and folding gluing tab I made use of the method that John taught me last night.
    Cut through the top 1/3 of the paper incising the printed membrane. As John said this method seems to be the best way to fold tabs neatly.

• Yu,

you haven't attached the windows 22 and 23 on the small towers yet, this will become a little difficult to glue them in that small gap between the circled dome and the tower, I assume.

Best regards from
    [Blocked Image: http://www.pielawa.de/bilder/jenssign.gif]

Um ein tadelloses Mitglied einer Schafherde sein zu können, muss man vor allem ein Schaf sein. — Albert Einstein

Original von Jens
    you haven't attached the windows 22 and 23 on the small towers yet, this will become a little difficult to glue them in that small gap between the circled dome and the tower, I assume.

Hi Jens,

Thank you for your precaution.
    This morning before leaving home I attached window 15 and it was a little bit difficult so I can imagine 22 and 23 are more difficult as you pointed out. I should have attached them to the small tower' before gluing the small towers to the building so that I could push small tower's curved roof from inside in order not to make gap between windows and the small towers.
    I will find out a solution during trip :)

Best regards,

• After one week blank today held knife and assembled window no.22 with clumsy finger.

First I couldn't figure out how to fold this part because it has a little bit complicated shape and more over after taken a look at real one's picture I found out real one has wider balcony compared to this kit.

Now, assembled only one window. I hope my understanding is not wrong...
    I'll take time to recheck if it is right, perhaps right, then proceed to other windows.....

• Hello Yu

Nice to see a "Schreiber Bogen" on this forum again. We'll follow the progress of your building with great attention.
    It seems to become a really amazing model!

Greets, Xeno06

Mal ist man die Statue.. X(
    ... und mal die Taube :P

Originally posted by Yu Gyokubun
    In making the windows for small towers, first cut off gluing tabs located the bottom because I though these will push up bottom of windows.

Yes, making very sharp angles on tabs may not be the best thing to do. With Schreiber's not too thick paper, it is not too much of a problem but you surely made the correct choice ;)

• Thanks Ricardo. With your endorsement I feel sure of myself.

In assembling roofing on the intermediate ceiling, I wasnt sure if I could connect roofing parts correctly without making gaps. So, first I connected two roofing parts together then glued it on the ceiling.

Thanks to John, Ricardo and Jens advice I managed to finish up to here.
    So far looks not so bad :)

• Very nice Yu.

Skillful progress.
    This is a nice building isn't it? You will enjoy building the dome. The seams are covered making construction a bit more forgiving. Not that you would ever need to conceal any slips. You just don't make them!

Good stuff.
    John

• Thanks John. Encouraged by your words I built the dome.
    Since this dome has opening on top of it, I decided to glue adjacent segments one by one applying gluing tabs. If this dome had not had an opening, I would have followed the way you glued it together when you bult Institute de France.

In assemblying this dome I followed kit instruction except two thing. One is to make slit on one side of the gluing tabs so that slitted tabs will fit to the dome segment easily.
    And the other is to cut off gluing tabs for circular part which goes to the bottom of the dome. But, I still wonder whether it was necessary to cut off the gluing tabs ?(

• You do the dome of this most remarkable building justice. It was an engineering masterpiece of baroque architecture for its time. (1743) It was, "a monumental edifice comparable in importance to Michelangelo's dome for St. Pter's in Rome."

Yu, I read that for centuries Dresden was the centre for art, music and culture. It was called, "The Florence on the Elbe."

All this history adds so much to your wonderful build.

Cheers...John

• Hi Ricardo,

When read your question about how stiff the dome becomes after gluing, I didn't understand why you are asking it. After contemplated a lot I remember that you are civil engineer or not far from it if my memory is correct. So, I thought you need to collect data about stiffness of dome shaped object. Am I right?
    I didn't spare my effort for you to put two hard cover books on top of it. When I added third one the dome collapsed. But, don't worry I've easily restored it.
    BTW the book above the other is the present my long-time-ago girl friend gave me. What is she doing now?
    Sorry, this is not the place to tell my memory of good old days.

Anyhow it was my relief that I didn't become a domesday modeler :D

Hi John,
    Thank you for your information about this church and Dresden. Those information urges me to make this model carefully

Finished eaves above high windows. I just followed kit instruction and assembled each part patiently....

• Hey Yu,

Nice workout! The church looks great! =D> =D>Specaily the "symethrie" (if that's an english word) is impressive.

Hope there will fallow other architecture models from you...

Gianluca

Mal ist man die Statue.. X(
    ... und mal die Taube :P

• Congratulations Yu! Well done!!

Now you have joined the nobel ranks of architectural scale model builders. You have arrived! You may wander back to lower levels with ships, planes and trains, but will, I'm sure, return to the highest level of card modelling.

You know I'm just joking you here Yu. I'll have to answer to the abuse of many now that I've said that!

Seriously, Yu, what did you think of the building buildings?

Again, congratulations on the completion of a wonderful Schreiber model. It was a great choice.

Cheers...John

• Gianluca
    Thank you for your comment
    I am going to build building model once in a while though have not decided which one next. Japanese building might be one choice..

John
    You wont believe this but, actually, I have been thinking building model is the noblest of all paper models so I have been secretly in love with it and taking many building photos of various countries I have visited as you can see in the attached picture.
    Now it is about time to come out of hiding place dropping my mask as I was give your go-ahead that thrilled me.
    Besides joking, during construction gradually I was drawn to the building model as it is taking shape and to my joy, for the first time since I began paper modeling, my wife praised my work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    From time to time I want to build building that will impress my wife.

Influenced by building model, yesterday I visited Sankeien which is located two hour drive from my home. There they have several traditional Japanese buildings.
    And for the first time in my life I enjoyed Japanese tea ceremony there though it was simplified one.

Glue me
    I am a broken machine. My control system has been broken and I cant control myself.
    Please stop me. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp meeeeeeeee!!!

Alfred
    Thank you for your encouraging comment

Helmut
    Thank you

Stefan
    Thank you for your generosity

Original von hagen von tronje
    Really your first architectural model?

Well, my wife also likes castles and churches more than ships - but "fortunately" these buildings need some space and I don't have enough of it.... ;)

Yes this is my first architectural model but 35th completed paper model. Now my room is occupied by paper models and a little more space to keep new one :(

I need an excuse like you mentioned "fortunately"... :D

Thank you Hagen-san

• Hi Dieter,
    Thank you very much for your comment.
    Fit of this kit is very good so I think you can enjoy building it and I wish you success

Kind regards from humid Far East