Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um Papiermodelle, Kartonmodellbau und Bastelbogen. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich
  • »John« ist der Autor dieses Themas

Registrierungsdatum: 4. Oktober 2005

Beruf: retired school teacher

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 7. November 2006, 20:40

Farní kostel Navštivení Panny Marie v Poštorné [FERTIG]

Church: Postorná (abbreviated)
Model Design: Richard Vyškovský
Publisher: ERKOtyp
Scale: 1:165
»John« hat folgendes Bild angehängt:
  • Postorná.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »John« (24. Dezember 2006, 16:41)

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 7. November 2006, 20:45

RE: Farní kostel Navštivení Panny Marie v Poštorné

Postorná derives its unique shape from its octagonal central core. The brickwork and general appearance reminds me of St. Paul's Presbyterian Church in my home city of Peterborough.
  • St.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »John« (7. November 2006, 20:48)

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 7. November 2006, 20:52

Here we begin with the octagonal core. Each window is dressed with a cornice and brick moulding above and a slate sill.
  • Octagon.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »John« (12. Dezember 2006, 19:25)

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 7. November 2006, 20:55

The brick moulding above each window follows the gothic arch around each side of the window and has a horizonal return outward at each side. These returns are meant to slant downward.

Here is a jig I built to shape these mouldings.
»John« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • Jig1.jpg
  • Jig2.jpg
  • Jig3.jpg
  • Jig4.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »John« (7. November 2006, 20:57)

Micro

Moderator spezielle Interessen

• »Micro« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 9. Dezember 2005

Beruf: Techniker

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 7. November 2006, 23:38

Hi John,

Does not look like "easy to build".

But you will made it.

Good solution to build the windows.

I just build a "Farmer court" by Viskovsky, but it shure that modells by Richard Viskovsky are worth to build always.

Good luck John.

Greetings from Vienna, Herbert

• »Ricleite« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 24. Januar 2006

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 8. November 2006, 09:43

Zitat

Originally posted by Micro
...that modells by Richard Viskovsky are worth to build always.

...and this one is surely one of them, despite the rather thick paper!

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 12. November 2006, 17:29

Dormers

Thanks Herbert.
Ricardo, I agree with you regarding the rather heavy weight of the card. This really becomes noticable when you fold up the very tiny walls of the dormers. They just seem to lose that 'crispness' and become 'fuzzy' around their edges.

The dormers in the octagonal roof are interestingly designed. This is the first time I have made dormers with tabs that pass through the roof to be attached from behind. Also, the side walls of the dormers extend beyond the face of the dormers.
»John« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • Parts.jpg
  • Dormer.jpg
  • Roof.jpg
  • Tabs.jpg

Jens

Profi

• »Jens« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 15. Juni 2004

Beruf: Kartograph

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 12. November 2006, 19:15

Hello John,

would you please tell us the source, where you obtained the model? Is it the page at
http://muzeum.breclav.org/index.php?content=eshop?
I did ask several times there, but got no answer yet. Maybe you can share with us an easier source to buy this interesting model.

Best regards from

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 13. November 2006, 14:07

Hi Jens.
Lighthouse Model Art had a 50% off sale before they went out of business here in Ontario. This model was among the models purchased at that time. Sorry I can't help you with a distributor now. Good luck in your search.

Ricardo Leite has set the bar very high with his version of this model. It is difficult to build.

My modest attempt continues with this photo of the octagonal core of the church with the roof attached.
  • The Octagon.jpg

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 14. November 2006, 09:46

John, it is looking just perfect!
I always half-cut the paper before folding. With this heavy paper, it is perhaps better to cut more than half, especially when there are closely spaced and long fold lines. Fortunately, Erkotyp has revised the card thickness of newer kits but Pohansko has the same problem...
@Jens - I got my copy at Moduni, but that was back in 2002 and it has disappeared a long time ago. I'm afraid it will not be easy to find one :(

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 14. November 2006, 14:26

Folding Card

Ricardo, you have touched on a pet peeve of mine. I do not think card model publishers do the craft a service with their introductory notes suggesting how to fold card. The importance seems to be downplayed with suggestions of using anything dull at hand. I recall one suggestion to use the tip of a ball point pen!

I think the problem may be with both terminology and technique. The term 'crease' suggests making a groove in the surface of the paper that will not break the surface of the printing. The intent is to create a groove that will allow the paper to stretch as the fold is made. In theroy this would be nice.
There would be no need to paint an edge. However, experience has shown that this is not the best technique.

Cutting into the top third of the paper with a clean incision seems to be the way to go. As you have pointed out above Ricardo, with very thick card, penetrating almost half of the card is necessary. This necessitates colouring the white, exposed edges of the fold.

Perhaps publishers are simply trying to simplify the whole thing and not scare off the novice by suggesting more work and more materials. But as I have said, they are not doing the craft a service by suggesting a technique that produces inferior results.

There, got that off my chest.
John

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 15. November 2006, 10:04

John, I agree with you 100%. In fact, I don't believe on paper stretch. Creating a groove, as you say, on the surface of the paper will likely cause that surface to break, when folding with a sharp angle. And the break line will certainly not be regular and straight...
Half-cutting means a clean fold and the edge is easy to paint, with appropriate pens (as I do) or other medium.

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 15. November 2006, 14:16

Ricardo, we are definitely on the same page here with our views on folding card. I'm sorry I didn't thank you for your kind comments on this build. I got caught up in my pet peeve. Your PP-52 Pilsudczyk leaves me speechless.

The details on this model delight. Here you see joined brick moldings that will fit atop the lower church windows. The piece has been deliberately left unpainted so that it will show up in this photo.

On this point, all the edges on the cover model of this publication are left white.
  • Brick Molding.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »John« (15. November 2006, 17:54)

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 19. November 2006, 16:30

The Plan

Around the core of the church, there are three bays on the left (C) and three bays on the right(D) separated by heavy brick buttresses.
  • The Plan.jpg

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 19. November 2006, 16:32

The Left

Here are the three left bays being worked up...
  • Left Side1.jpg

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 19. November 2006, 16:32

RE: The Left

...and again.
  • Left Side 2.jpg

wallaw

Schüler

• »wallaw« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 26. Juni 2004

Beruf: Liaison

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 24. November 2006, 20:02

Hi John

THis is great! I always follow your construction projects with great delight including this one. Excellent results as always, and thanks for sharing your experiences!

@ Jens: In the US this model is available from papermodelworld.net/. Click on the castle images on the left and it's called "Farni Kostel "Panny Marie"" in the list. James has a very good collection of Erkotyp and other Viskovsky models. You may wish to contact him about getting this one and or others. I may have to get this one myself and add to the long line of uncompleted projects :(. Hope this helps.
-bilu-

Jens

Profi

• »Jens« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 24. November 2006, 20:20

Hello Wallaw,

thank you for the hint – but for 12$ I can get approx. 10 models of Postorna at the Czech site, they still cost 1 Euro each there. If only someone would respond to my orders there... I have mailes three times there, but it seems that no one wants to sell the models or they consider my mails as spam – pity.

Beste Grüße von

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 25. November 2006, 21:40

Hello Wallaw,
Thanks for the comments.

Jens, I had no idea models were that cheap in the Czech Republic.

Here is a photo of the left side of the church with three bays completed - with the exception of posts and railings, finials and small parts easy to dislodge or damage during furthur construction.

This model has every angle known to geometry in it! Very challenging - and rewarding!
  • Left.jpg

Micro

Moderator spezielle Interessen

• »Micro« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 9. Dezember 2005

Beruf: Techniker

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 26. November 2006, 01:17

Hi John,

Perfect work.

But thats nothing new ;) ;) ;)

I always follow the progress of your building with great interest.

greetings from Vienna, Herbert

Jens

Profi

• »Jens« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 26. November 2006, 09:15

Zitat

Jens, I had no idea models were that cheap in the Czech Republic.

First I thought that it was a printing mistake, but they say each Postorna model is 1 Euro each: 20 Kc are approx. 80 ct. The only problem is, that this museum site do not respond to foreign orders obviously. Maybe I have to get me some help from our czech friends here on the forum.

Best regards from

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 3. Dezember 2006, 19:35

An Easier Method

Earlier in this thread, I showed a jig that was used to form the curved brick mouldings used around the upper windows of the church. In retrospect, this method may have been a bit of overkill. I was thinking of the jigs used to form the long sweeping fenders and sharply curved engine covers of Wrebbit's Mercedes-Benz 500K.

Really, all that is needed is a spoon shaped craft tool working the part against the soft fleshy pad of your index finger. Simple.
  • Curving.jpg

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 3. Dezember 2006, 21:38

Building on a Cookie Sheet

I am now building the right side of the church which is mirror image of the left. However, the little edges of the pavement are curling up as I work with the model. They had to be put in place at the time to hold the shape of the bays, but they are now at risk. I could just glue the model down but that limits my options.

Here's an idea that is working for me. It is not my idea. I saw it here on the Forum. Somebody showed work on a magnet table. I am using a cookie sheet turned upside down. The little silver magnets are rare-earth magnets. (neodymium) They are very strong.

Now I can hold the model down while I add parts on the other side and maintain a plane surface to prevent a warped model.

Before...
  • Corner at Risk.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »John« (3. Dezember 2006, 21:48)

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 3. Dezember 2006, 21:39

RE: Building on a Cookie Sheet

...and after.
  • Down.jpg

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 3. Dezember 2006, 21:40

Another corner up...
  • Another Corner Up.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »John« (3. Dezember 2006, 21:41)

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 3. Dezember 2006, 21:42

...and down for the count.
  • Down for the Count.jpg

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 3. Dezember 2006, 21:45

Here's the cookie sheet setup. Now I can safely work on the model, add parts and lift edges when it come time to glue another section of pavement under the existing pavement pieces.
  • The Setup.jpg

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 3. Dezember 2006, 21:58

Thanks

Hello Herbert.
Thank you for your kind comments. I remember Jan commenting one time that he points the camera where he wants it. That's the luxury of table top model photography. Little goofs and errors are never seen! My work's not perfect by any means. It's all selective camera angles!

Cheers Herbert...John

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »John« (3. Dezember 2006, 22:37)

Jens

Profi

• »Jens« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 4. Dezember 2006, 13:45

Hello John,

well, that's a clever hint with the magnets. I always glued some parts of the model down to a base and was unable to reach different inner parts at a later stage of the building process.
But be aware not to muddle up the two things: it's advent, but please don't bake the model and glue the cookies by mistake...

Best regards from

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 6. Dezember 2006, 21:30

Jens, I like your droll humour.

This model has a tendancy to rack and twist as you add the many angles parts on opposite sides of the octagon. To force the sides to come into proper alignment, it was necessary to construct a 1mm octagonal card to hold the octagon's shape at the base.

A bit of high school geometry had to be brushed up to remember how to inscribe an octagon in a circle.

Here is the result.
  • IMG_3365.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »John« (6. Dezember 2006, 21:32)

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 6. Dezember 2006, 23:10

Back

Here is a shot of the back of the church. The apse will fill the white space. A tower will project from its roof.
  • Front.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »John« (6. Dezember 2006, 23:13)

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 6. Dezember 2006, 23:12

Front

Here is the front of the church. The narthex will fill the white area. Ahead of it will be the main portal flanked by two towers.
  • Back.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »John« (6. Dezember 2006, 23:15)

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 7. Dezember 2006, 09:49

John, it is interesting because we followed a different path to build the model. The central part was the first, of course, but then I went to the front and the apse, before making the sides. Anyway, we are abiding to a good rule: never go around a circle (front-side-back-side) because errors could accumulate to a point of no return. I always apply the same rule when building cupolas :)

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 7. Dezember 2006, 22:02

The Apse Begins

Well said, Ricardo.

Construction of the apse begins. I am quite pleased with how the left and right sides landed on their marks at the back of the church. They mated well with the walls of the apse.

This is a very richly coloured model with deep reds. It shows scuffs easily. I'm having difficulty keeping some edges clean, crisp and sharp. The more I work on the model the greater the chances of wear and tear.

Ricardo, your models show absolutely no stress at all. You must work with a very delicate hand. I've tried to make assembies apart from the model and then bring them to the model and apply them. This separates the construction from the application. But on this model, much of the work has to progress on the model.

John
  • Apse1.jpg

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 8. Dezember 2006, 23:25

RE: The Apse Roof

The slate roof has been added. Boy, am I glad I didn't glue this model down. The tabs of the roof were glued from the inside with a long, fine glue brush. The polygonal roof had thirteen internal tabs.
  • Apse Roof.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »John« (11. Dezember 2006, 01:01)

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 10. Dezember 2006, 23:49

The Apse Tower

This tower passes through an apsidal chapel. The roof will have to wrap around it.
  • Apse Tower.jpg

René Blank

Erleuchteter

Registrierungsdatum: 17. Dezember 2012

Beruf: hab ich

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 11. Dezember 2006, 00:30

Hello John,

really nice work so far ... I'm waiting for the next steps ... ;)

Best regards

René

Kartonbau.de ... Mein Forum

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 11. Dezember 2006, 01:06

Hi René. Thanks for the comments.

Here are the apsidal formers that will not only hold the walls in place, but will support the upper buttresses. Now to get the walls up and the angular roofs in place. This could be interesting...
  • Chapel Formers.jpg

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 11. Dezember 2006, 20:32

Chapel Walls

The chapel walls are in place. The one roof section on the right had to be put into place before the walls were installed. It wrapped around the base of the apse tower. I don't think I would have been able to put it in place once the walls were up.

You can clearly see where the four apse buttresses will be erected. The tops of the formers will be the piers for the upper buttresses.
  • Chapel Walls.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »John« (11. Dezember 2006, 20:34)

John

Meister

• »John« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 11. Dezember 2006, 22:53

Chapel Roofs

The chapel roofs are sliding into their niches quite well. The last one will have to be a hip roof with a short ridge.
  • One to Go.jpg

Social Bookmarks