Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um Papiermodelle, Kartonmodellbau und Bastelbogen. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

• »Leif Ohlsson« ist der Autor dieses Themas

Registrierungsdatum: 21. Dezember 2004

Beruf: Retired

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 23. März 2008, 14:47

Experimenting with Nobi's free Spitfire IXc 1:48 (Thaipaperwork)

There is no better way to learn how a graphic programme works, than wanting to accomplish something. In my case, it was Adobe Illustrator (vector drawing), and I used a free download from Thaipaperwork.com, which comes as an unlocked pdf vector file.

Many thanks to Nobi, and other designers, who provide their models in unlocked format. This makes it possible for the rest of us to learn, and to modify their work without loss of quality. I just wish this option was available for more high-quality models.

I learned by rescaling and modifying Nobi's free Spitfire IXc model, painted in the Skalki Circus scheme. My objective was to design an interior cockpit, so that you could make the canopy transparent.

The result is attached below, as an jpg-illustration (do not download) and as a high-quality pdf vector file (please download if you are interested), same as the original. What you get is the additional parts necessary to create an interior, fully detailed cockpit, plus a sketch hopefully explaining how the parts come together.

I have attached Nobi's own two photos of the whitebuild, plus what I was doing with the model for myself - I rescaled it to 1:87 (to be able to include a plastic HO-scale pilot, readily available from all hobby stores), and rearranged the parts to fit on a single A4. Anybody interested, let me know by PN.

Meanwhile the additonal parts below are in the original scale 1:48. And here are the links to Nobi's own site, with his offer of the free Spitfire, plus the direct download link:

http://thaipaperwork.hobby-site.com/
http://agro-on.com/transfer/Warbirds_024…re%20mk_ixc.zip
»Leif Ohlsson« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • Spitfire-Mk-IXc-new-parts.jpg
  • Whitebuild-001.jpg
  • Whitebuild-002.jpg
  • Spitfire-Mk-IXc-187-500.jpg
»Leif Ohlsson« hat folgende Datei angehängt:
Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (11. April 2008, 10:27)

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 10. April 2008, 23:59

Spitfire IXc completely worked over

Again, I am very grateful to Nobi, and other designers, who provide their free models not only free, but also free to modify, since the pdf-format they supply makes it possible to open the files in a vector graphic programme in order to study how they went about designing their models, and also build upon their work. That is really great!

I never thought I would learn how to get along with vector programmes, but Nobi's fine Spitfire really taught me the basic stuff. I'd very much like to share what came out of the process (so far), so here goes:

At the bottom of this post you will find four completely reworked parts sheets. I am a sucker for arranging things neatly (at least I'd like to think so), and consequently you will find all fuselage parts neatly arranged on one page; left & right wing parts on separate sheets, and all the parts needing lamination on the last page.

There is one peculiar thing about the parts below - they all have a complete set of inner skins, doubling both as inner pattern and joining strips. In effect, the only parts where it matters right now is for the cockpit area, and the wheel wells, but I wanted to try out the principle. In the future it might lead to complete interior patterns, which I thought would be a great step towards making cut-away models.

The last page, with the *-parts, is supposed to be folded over with the thicker card in the middle. This will enable backside printing on bulkheads, etc. Right now it isn't of very great value, but it was interesting to try out the principle.

More in the following posts.
  • Spitfire-Mk-IXc-4.jpg
  • Spitfire-Mk-IXc-5.jpg
  • Spitfire-Mk-IXc-6.jpg
  • Spitfire-Mk-IXc-7.jpg
Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (11. April 2008, 20:38)

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 11. April 2008, 00:03

Instructions & 3-views

I always think it is nice to have three-view drawings of the model you build in full-size, so I blew up Nobi's originals to full 1:48 scale. The instructions page, also in full 1:48 scale, is built upon Nobi's original but much expanded in order to explain how the extra interior parts are supposed to come together.

I am also a sucker for instruction pages, but cannot make them in 3D, so this was the best I could do.

(More to come.)
  • Spitfire-Mk-IXc-1.jpg
  • Spitfire-Mk-IXc-2.jpg
  • Spitfire-Mk-IXc-3.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (11. April 2008, 00:51)

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 11. April 2008, 00:05

Download parts

Nobi very kindly gave me a free hand to publish this reworked version, so here goes with the four parts sheets. Due to the vector programme, they are very reasonably sized while still retaining impeccable quality.

I really am quite sold on vector graphic programmes by now!

(More to follow.)

[Edited: Files removed - download new and much improved ones from the download section.]

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 5 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (10. Mai 2008, 10:08)

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 11. April 2008, 00:13

Download instructions + final comments

The last three downloads with instructions and three-views.

A few last comments: I have checked the colour scheme against Urban Fredriksson's IMPS colour chart for WWII British aircraft. I believe that is what Nobi originally must have used too. But I lighted up all the colours some 15 percent in order to get it right for such a small model as this.

That is why the colours may seem a bit lighter than Nobi's original. You will also notice that I researched the interior colour a bit better, studying photos and colour charts, which is why this version differs from my first attempt to make an interior cockpit at the top of this thread.

Finally, I think it is wonderful to have got this far, and still be able to do more so comparatively easy. And the file sizes are really very manageable.

Hope you enjoy this version so far!

Leif

[Edited: Files removed - download new and much improved ones from the download section.]

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (10. Mai 2008, 10:08)

woody

Meister

• »woody« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 20. Mai 2004

Beruf: Dipl.-Informatiker

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 11. April 2008, 07:07

Hello Leif,

this morning I stumbled over your Thread ... WOW, no I'm awake! :D
Thank you very much for your interesting work, mainly the cockpit. This is a point in constructing airplanes where I really can improve my capabilities. I think your work will be very helpful.

Another interesting thing is that with Inkscape Version 0.46 your PDF-files can be openend and edited without any problems.

Thanks again for your work
kind regards, Woody

hemingway

Meister

• »hemingway« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 31. Januar 2006

Beruf: Arzt

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 11. April 2008, 10:15

Wow, great work with that files, Leif!

Thank you! (And NOBI, of course!)

Cheers
Bernhard

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 11. April 2008, 10:22

Thanks guys, glad you appreciated it. If you want to continue working on the model, you would really benefit from the carefully layered complete file (all seven pages in one file) I used. See the ordering of the layers and parts in the illustration below.

If you use that, you won't have to isolate parts and paths again.

It is 1.6 MB pdf. I'll be glad to send it if you want to continue developing the model. Just give me your email address.

For those of you who just want to build it, the files above are better.

Leif
»Leif Ohlsson« hat folgendes Bild angehängt:
  • Spitfire IXc full.png

hemingway

Meister

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 11. April 2008, 10:37

Hi Leif,

that is great! It is an opportunity for all, who ever wanted to do a recolor job, but never got to it!

Thanks again!

Bernhard

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 11. April 2008, 10:57

Glad you think so, Bernhard. I forgot to mention that the beautiful part about this file is that I have defined all main colours as so called "process colours" - which means that if you want to change the nuance of one particular colour, you can do that in the colour picker and all surfaces containing that colour will change automatically. (This goes for Illustrator at least.)

You never could do that in Photoshop. That's why it was so easy to change nuances for Nobi's original colours.

If you want to recolour, you will of course have to change the pattern as well. But it is still a great feature!

Leif

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 11. April 2008, 20:43

Mistake corrected

There was (at least) one mistake in the files for downloading above. On sheet 5, the left wing parts, the cooler outside skin had the wrong colour. It should be the same azure blue as the rest of the wing underside.

The corrected file has been uploaded in the post above, but if you already have downloaded it you should download this file again. Just to save you the trouble, I'll attach it once more here (but it is alright above, too, now).

Sorry. Leif

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (10. Mai 2008, 10:09)

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 11. April 2008, 20:58

Thanks, Martin!

Who knows, perhaps Bernhard will get there first...

Leif

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 12. April 2008, 17:25

Recolouring material

For those wanting to try their hands at recolouring, I collected the pertinent colour samples from Urban Fredriksson's page, and from the FS colour standard web page, into a single file.

I think these colours will cover most Spitfire variants, including the photo reconnaissance and desert/Mediterranean versions.

The text is from Urban Fredriksson's page, the colour samples picked from the FS colour samples page. Note that sometimes up to four variants for a single colour is given.

Note also that you need to lighten these samples 15-20 percent for models in our scales.

Leif
  • UK WWII.png

Ziga

Schüler

• »Ziga« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 6. März 2006

Beruf: teacher

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 12. April 2008, 23:55

Leif, last year there was an interesting article about this Spitfire. According to the author the color scheme of this machine was completely different judging from the available photos. I'll scan it for you, if you are interested.

Best regards,
Kaz
"They say hard work never hurt anybody, but I figure why take the chance" - Ronald Reagan

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 13. April 2008, 18:04

Yes, please - and why not publish the scans here, so everybody can have a look!

Leif

hemingway

Meister

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 16. April 2008, 16:15

Zitat

Original von Leif Ohlsson
... If you want to continue working on the model, you would really benefit from the carefully layered complete file (all seven pages in one file) I used. See the ordering of the layers and parts in the illustration below.

If you use that, you won't have to isolate parts and paths again.

Leif

Hello Leif,

thank you very much for this file; I do not have Adobe Illustrator, so I opened the file in Inkscape version 0.46. I have only access to the grey marked page (see red arrow), but not to the other pages (?). On this single page, I can manipulate all colors and markings via vector, as you told. (Yeah!) But the layer separation does not show up.

Perhaps the page splitting does not work with Inkscape?
»hemingway« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • Spitfire IXc full.jpg
  • Spitscreen.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »hemingway« (16. April 2008, 17:01)

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 20. April 2008, 19:21

Define new format

I hope I found the solution for you, Bernhard. It is (at least it was for me):

Define a new (fictitious) page format or docment format in 891 x 630 mm. That is, 3 A4 wide, 3 A4 high.

I thought (hoped) that the page format would follow from program to program, but obviously it didn't.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Leif

hemingway

Meister

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 22. April 2008, 09:40

Hallo,

nachdem mir Leif eine geänderte Datei der Spitfire zugeschickt hat, kann ich sie jetzt auch problemlos in Inkscape öffnen und vektorbasiert editieren.

Also, wer mit der "full"-Datei Probleme hat, sollte nochmal Kontakt mit Leif aufnehmen.

Grüße
Bernhard
»hemingway« hat folgendes Bild angehängt:
  • Spitfull.jpg

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 25. April 2008, 10:14

Work in progress

This is just a progress report. I am presently working on three version of the Spitfire IX:

• Stanislaw Skalkis personal aircraft ZX-6 in revised colours, according to new research

• Skalki's ZX-6 in the colours common to the rest of the "Skalki circus"

• Spitfire Mk IX in 1942 standard British camouflage scheme. The model represents Spitfire FY-F, based in Biggin Hill.

This is very rewarding work, but the complexity of keeping track of the versions, changes, etc. is very time-demanding. This time, I don't want to release them until I am convinced they are good. But on the other hand, it's hard not to share what one is up to...

Each kit will contain a short history of the aircraft, detailed comments on the colouring, plus more detailed instruction comments.

The two Skalki versions are pretty much finished, but I am waiting for permission from Lotnictwo magazine and other image sources, plus comments from Kaz, who kindly sent the article with the new research to me.

The FYF version is in the works (but still carries the ZN-6 insignia as you will see if you study the images below closely). History, etc., also remains to be done. This is the part of the work I like best at the moment.

Finally, I'd like to bring all three files into one gigantic master file, in order to be sure that all changes really apply equally to all three versions. Which is a bit of a monster work at this stage...
  • Spitfire-Mk-IXc-1-1400.jpg
  • Spitfire-Mk-IXc-2-1400.jpg
  • Spitfire-Mk-IX-FYF-1400.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 6 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (25. April 2008, 10:21)

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 25. April 2008, 11:16

Help needed

Working on the FY-F version, I have come across a feature that I don't know how to resolve (see image below).

I am working from a very detailed and authoritative drawing in Aeromodeller, Christmas issue 1961. As you can see the underside of the wing shows a very large and not circular roundel outside the regular national insignia roundel.

Now, what colour should this be - yellow, white, or what?

Grateful for any help.

Leif
  • Spitfire-Mk-IX-FYF-roundel.jpg

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 26. April 2008, 17:32

Problem solved

As Gonçalo Mendes kindly wrote to me, the large roundel on the underside obviously indicates the position of the roundel on the top side.

I've been pondering this for such a long time, without realizing this obviously correct interpretation. Thank you!

(See also red lines to confirm alignment with top side big roundel).

Leif
  • Spitfire-Mk-IX-FYF-roundel.jpg

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 8. Mai 2008, 14:09

Help needed with insignia

Just as I thought I had really put the finishing touch on my three versons of the Spitfire, another issue appeared. It concerns the order of the insignia letters on the right hand fuselage side for the ZX-6 version.

Here's the problem:

Look at the first two pictures. They illustrate my FY-F version, which is the 1942 camouflage in dark green, dark sea grey, and medium sea grey. I know for sure that the orders of the letters on the right hand side is correct, both from the authoritative drawing I am using, and from photos. See also photo of ZF-O in similar camouflage, which retains the same order.

Note that the "FY"-section of the insignia, as well as the "F"-section, retains their postions on the fuselage, "FY" at the front, and "F" at the rear. No problems so far.

Now study the second two images. They illustrate ZX-6 such as Nobi in principle has modelled it (although I have made slight changes in position and shape of the letters). This positioning is in accordance with what other authoritative modellers have used (see the plastic model next to my sheet).

This is my problem: This positioning represents another principle altogether, with the "ZX" section moving to the aft on the right hand side, and the "6" moving forward. I have seen the principle represented in other cases as well, all of them (I think) on the older camouflage of dark green, dark earth, and sky.

What is correct here? I want to know, since ideally it would be much more easy to place the insignia for ZX-6 in the same way as FY-F. This is illustrated in the last image.

But I suppose this is wrong.

Any enlightenment to be had?

Leif
  • FYF-insignia.png
  • ZFO-insignia.jpg
  • ZX6-insignia.png
  • ZX6-model.jpg
  • ZX6-insignia-alt.png

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (9. Mai 2008, 07:56)

hemingway

Meister

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 8. Mai 2008, 14:18

Hi Leif,

I don't know if this is helpful:
I had a look at the Spitfire IXc from Halinski (3/2007); the markings are positioned as shown in your first solution:
»hemingway« hat folgendes Bild angehängt:
  • ZX6-insignia.jpg

Andreas

Fortgeschrittener

• »Andreas« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 19. November 2004

Beruf: Berater

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 8. Mai 2008, 15:42

Hi Leif,

look at
aces.safarikovi.org/victories/poland-pft.html

This picture of ZX-6 shows a totally different colour scheme similar to that on your example picture of the plastic model

That your uncertainty was justified show these pictures of ZX-0 and ZX-5 (the Halinski model):
pspbis.fm.interia.pl/cs.htm

Here is also an interesting color picture as a reference for the colour scheme:

Here is more about the Pilot:

www.elknet.pl/acestory/skalski/skalski.htm

Hope this helps
Andreas
Gruß aus Wien
Andreas

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 6 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Andreas« (8. Mai 2008, 16:20)

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 9. Mai 2008, 13:43

The story of Skalski's two colour schemes

Thank you both for your efforts - they seem to settle the issue the way Bernhard concluded.

Andreas, your findings are a goldmine; some of them I found, but not the ones settling the issue, so I am very grateful for your work.

You mention the possibility of another colour scheme for ZX-6, the aircraft of Stanislaw Skalski (and other pilots as well). That is exactly the point Kaz ("Ziga") was trying to enlighten me about in an earlier post in this thread.

Subsequently, Kaz sent me a copy of the article in Polish magazine Lotnictwo ("Flight", I believe), No 7, 2007, which started me on a whole new track for this model. It turns out that the photo Andreas already has published above has been analyzed very, very carefully, and it shows that the colour scheme for the aircraft ZX-6, aircraft no. EN315, very probably differed from the rest of the Skalski Circus.

Instead of the Mediterranean desert scheme of Dark Earth, Mid Stone, and Azure Blue (bottom surfaces), which was used for the rest of the outfit, ZX-6 probably retained the older camouflage scheme of Dark Green, Dark Earth, and Sky (underneath). The reason for this seems to have been that the aircraft was transferred from Malta, where this scheme still was used for the new Spitfire Mk IX.

Here is the article in full. Kaz' translation in next post.
  • Lotnictwo-nonswastika.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (9. Mai 2008, 13:56)

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 9. Mai 2008, 13:48

Translation

Here's Kaz' translation of the article in Lotnictwo 7/2007:

ILLUSTRATIONS (from top to bottom):

* This is how most publications present the painting scheme of Spitfire IX EN315 ZX-6 of the PFT.

* One of the known photos of this plane on the Tunisian airfield. The camouflage pattern is clearly visible on the second plane (background), but not on the ZX-6.

* Two photos of Spitfire V W3119 during trials in the USA. Shades of gray of the camouflage and national markings are like those in the photo of Spitfire EN315.

* The deadliest Spitfire of the PFT with 6 confirmed victories was painted like this in the painting scheme far different from what was generally believed.

TEXT:

In the literature of the subject there is an erroneous believe that fighters of the Mediterranean area were painted only in the desert camouflage composed of Middle Stone, Dark Earth on upper surfaces and Azure Blue on lower ones. Publications concerning the Polish Fighting Team (PFT) show all of its Spitfires in that painting scheme (see the article "Colours of the Mediterranean Spitfires", Lotnictwo 11/2004). Since the summer of 1942 Spitfires delivered to Malta were painted with Dark Green, Dark Earth and Sky colours. In the beginning of 1943 the Mk IX version began to be delivered there. At that time the bulk of Allied forces was involved in the North-African campaign that was coming to an end, so in January 1943 the RAF Command in Africa proposed sending to that continent the planes that were meant to be delivered to Malta. Therefore, the possibility that some Spitfires IX of the PFT were painted in the brown-green scheme can not be excluded.

It is hard to evaluate a painting scheme of any given plane. I do not know of any documents describing a given plane and colour photos are rare. The analysis of the B&W photos does not produce colour schemes that one can be 100 percent sure of. Different kinds of negatives and photo papers show colours differently in shades of gray. It's further complicated by the fact that colour filters were used to enhance given shades on black & white photos (e.g. green to show the colour of plants, blue to show the contrast between the sky and clouds, warm colours to make people look better). Fortunately, the analysis in case of RAF planes is easier because of the British national markings composed of circles - yellow, dark blue, white and red. The comparison of their shades of gray makes it possible to analyse other colours with higher degree of probability.

The well-known photo of Spitifre IX EN315 ZX-6 shown here has been a subject of discussion among the researchers for a long time, as it lacks the noticeable colorful camouflage scheme that is visible on the background Spitfires that are certainly wearing that kind of camouflage (desert scheme).

The answer could be provided by the photo of Spitfire V W3119 that was tested during the war in the USA. The colour scheme in its B&W photo is very much like the one on the Polish Spitfire in Africa. The schades of gray of the camouflage on the upper and lower surfaces are the same (it's hard to see the division of the camouflage spots on the upper surfaces). Also the national markings and the stripes on the vertical stabilizer are the same. Because Americans also photographed this Spitfire in colour, we know for sure that it had the standard green-brown scheme on the upper surfaces and sky on lower ones. Of course it does not guarantee that ZX-6 had identical painting scheme, but makes this hypothesis much more credible.

Author of article: Wojtek Matusiak
Artwork: Robert Grudzien
Translation: Kaz (Membership name on this site: "Ziga")

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (9. Mai 2008, 14:09)

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 9. Mai 2008, 14:05

Two beautiful paintings

The story gets better. Working with the help of Robert Grudzien's beautiful paintings, it soon became obvious that it would be just great to be able to incorporate these into the model (as an illustration). So I wrote to Lotnictwo, and very soon Robert Grudzien got back with much better resolution images.

I am happy to be able to share these here, for pure enjoyment, or further work by anyone who gets inspired. (Here, it was necessary to erase or cover up the swastika victory marks painted under the canopy, faithfully represented by the artist in the originals. The same goes for the article above.)

Aren't these just beautiful paintings? Many, many thanks to Robert for letting us enjoy & use them!
  • ZX6-1-Grudzien.jpg
  • ZX6-2-Grudzien.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (9. Mai 2008, 14:33)

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 10. Mai 2008, 09:54

Three new Spitfires developed from Nobi's original model

Thanks Martin,

Coming from you, that is praise indeed. Hope you like what follows as well.

The reworking of Nobi's Spitfire Mk IXc has resulted in three new versions. All of them are now available as free downloads, from the download section here at Kartonbau.de.

The three versions are introduced in separate posts.

Leif

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 10. Mai 2008, 09:58

Skalki's ZX-6 in the new colour scheme

After receiving the information related above, the obvious first version for a reworking of Nobi's original now became the new colour scheme. This version thus represents the Spitfire IXc of Stanislaw Skalski, commander of the Polish Fighting Team (PFT), more often referred to as "Skalski's Circus", in the North African campaign of World War II, during Spring 1943. This particular aicraft was flown also by other pilots, and was the most victorious one with six victories, among them those by Skalki himself .

The model's colour scheme is the pre-1941 standard British camouflage of Dark Green, Dark Earth and Sky (underside). According to the research cited above, this may in fact have been used on Skalski’s Spitfire.

The PFT unit was sent to North Africa at the insistence of the Free Polish HQ, which wanted to train a cadre of experienced pilots in harsh conditions, and it soon gained a reputation for effectiveness and style. It was disbanded in May 1943 after the German surrender in Africa. The unit claimed 25 destroyed, 3 probables, and 9 damaged. No member of the unit was killed; only one was ever shot down, surviving as a German prisoner.

After the war, Stanislaw Skalski was falsely accused of espionage by the 1948 regime in Poland and served eight years in prison. Subsequently rehabilitated, he was promoted to Brigadier General in the Polish Air Force and later served as secretary general of the Polish Aero Club. Stanislaw Skalski died in 2004, at the age of 88.

Here are the first page of the download, plus a sample parts page. Download the full model here.
  • Spitfire-Mk-IX-ZX6-1-1-500.jpg
  • Spitfire-Mk-IX-ZX6-1-5-500.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (11. Mai 2008, 17:48)

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 10. Mai 2008, 10:02

Skalki's ZX-6 in the old colour scheme

From there, I wanted to make a similar version which kept the original colour scheme by Nobi. This version thus represents the colour scheme most commonly believed to have been used by the unit, namely the Mediterranean Desert one, of Dark Earth, Middle Stone, and Azure Blue (underside). All other aircrafts of the unit probably used this scheme.

Attached are the two similar sample pages as in the last post, for comparison. Download the full model here.
  • Spitfire-Mk-IX-ZX6-2-1-500.jpg
  • Spitfire-Mk-IX-ZX6-2-5-500.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (10. Mai 2008, 10:04)

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 10. Mai 2008, 10:04

The first operational Spitfire Mk IX

My original intention was to make a version which corresponded to the first operational Spitfires Mk IX. This version thus represents the Spitfire IX BS435 ”FY-F”, as it looked when based at 611 Sqn, Biggin Hill, in August 1942.

This was the first squadron equipped with the new Spitfire following the Mk V of the Battle of Britain. All interceding models (VI-VIII) were in fact special models and appeared later. The Mk IX was produced in larger numbers than any other Spitfire, 5,665 in all, and was by many regarded as the finest of them all.

The distinguishing marks of the Spitfire IX were the two symmetrical coolers under the wings, and the four-bladed prop. More difficult to spot was the slightly longer nose, necessitated by the addition of a second-stage compressor. With the American-produced Packard Merlin engine, spares were no longer interchangeable, and those versions got their own designation, the Spitfire Mk XVI.

Mk IX & XVI evolved into several different variations, among them a more pointed fin, longer air intake, tropicalized versions, different sets of armament, clipped wing tips for low-altitude ground attack assignments, etc.

The Spitfire Mk IX appeared at a time in the war when the Battle of Britain was over, and the allies started their offensive. Consequently, the Mk IX was fitted with bomb racks under the wings, and auxiliary drop tanks under the fuselage. The aircraft was used extensively for fighter ”sweeps” over France, and other theatres of war.

Sample pages as above for comparison. Download the full model here.
  • Spitfire-Mk-IX-FYF-1-500.jpg
  • Spitfire-Mk-IX-FYF-5-500.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (11. Mai 2008, 16:40)

hemingway

Meister

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 11. Mai 2008, 15:00

Hi Leif,

awesome good work! =D> =D> =D>

Thank you for the models, wich are a piece of art, of course!

Bernhard

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 13. Mai 2008, 10:30

Credits for the different versions

Thanks, Bernhard, good to hear!

I'd like to express my gratitude to a number of sources and persons who have allowed me to use material which was foundational to the reworking.

First of all Nobi at Thaipaperwork.com who allowed me to publish the reworkings of his free download Spitfire. You can (and should) download his original from Thaipaperwork.com.

The original might be good to have around, if you wish to use Nobi's traditional joning strips, instead of full interior parts. And while you're at it, have a look at his other beautiful models as well!

Secondly, thanks to Kaz ("Ziga" on this site), who pointed me to the research behind the alternative (and probable) colour scheme for ZX-6 EN315. He also graciously translated the entire article in Lotnictwo No 7/2007 above.

To Robert Grudzien, the artist behind the beautiful profiles published in that magazine, who allowed me to republish them in the downloads. If nothing else, you can use the versions supplied above to print a beautiful colour profile and frame it on your wall!

To Wojciech Sankowski, editor of Polish magazine "Lotnictwo z Szachownica" (Chequered Flight; a magazine and site for historical research about Polish aviation history), and to the photographer, Andrzej Tatarek, for use of his beautiful photos of Spitfire ZF-O. You can see more of his photos here.

To check a number of details, positioning of hatches, insignia for the FY-F, etc, I have used an old drawing by D. H. Cooksey in Aeromodeller, Christmans 1960. It has been with me all my life, and I am very pleased to be able to put it to some good use finally. As a credit to his workmanship, a small sample of this drawing (very yellowed by now!) has been inserted into the FY-F front page.

You may have come across on the web a Russian drawing of the Spitfire Mk IX. In that case, you should know that it is a line-by-line copy of D. H. Cooksey's 1960 drawing - albeit much inferior in detail and workmanship!

Despite this, I attach the Russian version since it is the only readily available full 3-view drawing of the Spitfire Mk IX on the net, at least to my knowledge.
  • spitfire_ix_4.gif

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (24. Juli 2008, 11:47)

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 17. Mai 2008, 09:48

Some technical notes

Just for the record, I'd like to leave some notes on the technical side of these reworkings, before leaving them for the moment.

All versions of the model contain colour swatches superimposed on either paintings or drawing of the model. The colours of the main camouflage patterns are derived from the colour chart I derived by compiling swatches from Urban Fredriksson's IMPS Stockholm site for aircraft colours.

The colour chart can be had from this post above.

In cases where several variants of a colour could be used, I compared to photos and paintings to select the most likely one.

Colours like Polish red, blue insignia letters, and other smaller details have been sampled from the paintings and adjusted for best effect.

The CMYK-code for each colour is given next to the swatches. This applies to the basic colour, as shown in the swatches. For the model, I almost consistently lightened these colours a further 10 percent, to compensate for the small-scale effect.

Panel lines (hatches, rivet lines, etc.) are black, lightened to 60 percent, and further lightened to 60 percent opacity. Rudder lines are the same, although thicker. Part lines (non-coloured parts, like inside details) are black 60 percent as well, but they retain 100 percent opacity.

By placing these lines in separate layers over the paintwork, and saving selections of them, they could be tested for best effect, and the values arrived at are the outcome of that process. The objective was to achieve visibility above colours, without being too apparent. After all, panel lines were spray-painted as well!

The major part of the work actually was arranging parts in appropriate layers, and making saved selections for all colours, versions, and types of patterns and lines. This involved a huge amount of work, much more than I ever imagined. But it was worth it, since I now have a common master file for all versions, and complete ability to change colours, opacity, etc.

Although the downloads are perfectly editable in any vector-based graphic programme, this complex order could not be preserved when saving as a pdf-file of separate parts pages. Anybody seriously interested in continuing to develop further versions based on the basic ordered document therefore can have either a 14 MB Adobe Illustrator file, or a 27 MB universal pdf-file of it. (But be sure to check that your email account will accept files of this size; and no guarantees of course that your programme will preserve the ordering of layers & groups.)

The master file is arranged like below, with all seven pages in a single vertical row, and all versions layered on top of each other. There is a huge amount of layers and groups below what is shown here, but they all collapse into the following basic layers:

* Common files (3-views, instructions, *-parts, panel lines, part lines, common insignia like roundels)
* FYF files (text & specific insignia for FY-F version)
* 1942 scheme (dark green, dark sea grey, medium sea grey, duck egg blue)
* ZX6 files (specific insignia for ZX-6, plus common details like spinner)
* ZX pre-1941 scheme (specific text + dark green, dark earth, sky)
* ZX Med-desert scheme (specific text + dark earth, mid stone, azure blue)
* Drawings (sections of D. H. Cooksey's drawing positioned under Nobi's 3-view)
  • Master-file-500.jpg

Social Bookmarks