Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um Papiermodelle, Kartonmodellbau und Bastelbogen. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

• »Leif Ohlsson« ist der Autor dieses Themas

Registrierungsdatum: 21. Dezember 2004

Beruf: Retired

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 27. Oktober 2007, 18:07

Enlarging the Yokosuka D4Y2 Suisei to 1/16 scale

[Note November 2007: I have changed the heading for this thread to reflect the turn it has taken. Starting from this post an enlarged version of this free download is presented.

With permission from the original author, Andrzej Inwald (Andrew, nickname "Kangaroo" on this site) the 1/16 scale version, with rearranged parts, will be made available as a download from Kartonbau.de.

The original thread started like this: ]

----------

The Konradus site for free downloads has recently added a complete and very detailed model of a Japanese WWII single-engine dive-bomber, the Yokosuka D4Y2 Susei (Judy), in 1:33 scale. It can be found near the bottom of the page.

I have previously reviewed the 1/200 models already available at the site. (See this post, and following.) These smaller models are very beautiful, and could well be enlarged to 1/100, 1/87 or 1/72.

But this new model is a full-scale, 1/33 model, and quite advanced. For example, ailerons and rudders are moveable; full interior detailing is included (plus interior skin!). The author, Andrzej Inwald, deserves every credit for making this great model available free.

What appeals to me most of all is the good weathering on the olive drab, which looks very realistic. Another attractive feature is the canopy, which can be made without vacu-forming, or heat-drawing.

The resolution of the download is 300 dpi, which is great in 1/33 and would even allow for enlarging to 1/16.

The kit comes in 15 instruction sheets, and 13 parts sheets (11.4 MB download .rar-file). The instructions are quite detailed, with many sketches, which will help a lot, since the little text there is, of course is in Polish.

A reflection on the number of pages is that the spacious layout is a very attractive feature, which you don't get if you buy a printed model. For publishers, the limiting factor is the number of pages (more pages means much larger printing costs). This is not the case when you print the pages yourself, since the limiting factor then is the cost of ink for the printer (paper is relatively cheap compared to inkjet cartridges), and a given number of parts will draw an equal amount of ink, however spacious you print them. That is why a model designed for downloading can easily be made much more spacious, and with lots more instruction sketches - which is rather helpful!

Below I have attached the cover of the model, plus a couple of examples from the parts and instruction sheets. Note the weathering.

Read more about the original "Judy" aircraft here (in German). Note that the D4Y2 modeled has a Daimler-Benz designed twelve-cylinder inverted vee engine, as opposed to the radial engines more often seen in photos.

The drawing shown at this site (English) is obviously a later Kamikaze-converted "Judy", as witnessed by the three Jato starter rockets, and the radial engine. Other conversions included a night-fighter role, for intercepting (not very successfully) American B29 raids.
»Leif Ohlsson« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • Judy-cover.jpg
  • Judy-parts-1.jpg
  • Judy-parts-2.jpg
  • Judy-instr-fuse.jpg
  • Judy-ailerons.jpg
Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 15 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (26. November 2007, 11:41)

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 27. Oktober 2007, 23:31

Questions

It is very interesting to study the method of construction and design of this models. For example, directions are given to print the part sheets on card, and on ordinary paper. So far no problem.

But then there is a colour code, in red and blue. Obviously these parts are to be doubled on to card of differing thickness. If somebody with a knowledge of Polish is reading this, and is interested in the model - could you please give some short explanations to these and other possible important issues which a prospective builder ought to know.

Just because it is free, this is far from a beginner's model. In fact, I think it is pretty advanced. For one thing there are different versions of some parts (such as the main fuselage section). I believe this is to be able to build it with the bomb bay open or closed. If somebody knows for sure, please advice the rest of us.

In the instructions, there is also a note saying "UWAGA", which I know means "careful!" - but about what?

I attach an example of the colour coding (Sheet 9), plus the "Uwaga" instruction. Sheet 9 is supposed to be printed on ordinary (thin) paper, but the red and blue parts probably should be doubled to different thickness of card.
  • Judy_sheet_9_red-blue.jpg
  • Judy-uwaga.jpg
Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (28. Oktober 2007, 15:23)

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2007, 17:47

Background material

For anybody interested in the Yokosuka D4Y2 Susei ("Comet"), or "Judy", here are some additional bits of information:

At the German site Sturzkampfbomber der IJNAF there is a photo of the modeled version in the air:

The Russian site "Virtual aircraft museum" (in English) has a decent three-view drawing:

From Pacific wrecks comes a couple of photos:

Warbirds.pix.com has two overview photos, plus a closeup of the engine:

Finally, Rod's WarBirds has two pages with black & white photos: here and here

Leif

Zaphod

Erleuchteter

Registrierungsdatum: 24. April 2005

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2007, 19:13

RE: Background material

Hi,

I just received my Aichi Senran and I was wondering whether the Susei´s design has influenced the Senran? Nearly the same slender and elegant lines.

Does anybody know about this?

Zaphod

btw: The pictures on the German site are good and the technical data is correct, but I noticed several strange parts in the texts. A hurricane prevented three japanese carriers from taking part in the battle of Midway? And the 30 Senran´s were´n used up as kamikazes.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Zaphod« (28. Oktober 2007, 19:22)

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2007, 20:21

Notes on the quality

Very often it so happens that I work on models like this one, enlarging to 1/16 and rearranging parts on new longer sheets to fit into an ordinary A4 inkjet printer. This is of course lack of discipline, and pure concupiscence - wanting to have more, do more, accomplish more than is possible in one single life-time.

This I will have to change, or learn to live with, to the degree that I fail to master this tendency. I know I am not alone.

However, since I have done a bit of work on this model already, I thought I might as well report a few findings. The Suisei ("Comet") by Andrzej Inwald is a peculiar model in some respects. The artwork, as already remarked, is excellent, in some aspects even outstanding. The instruction sketches likewise.

However, the final stage of putting the kit together is peculiarly sloppy - a few parts have been cut off (by mistake, or by haste?). See for example the main wing spar on sheet 9, attached in previous posts. It's nothing serious, since it is perfectly possible to deduce what the few millimeters missing should look like from other parts, so nobody should take this as a reason not to build the model.

The same sloppiness goes for the layout. The spaciousness is a good thing, already remarked upon. But why cram some parts so close together, when there is all this space left free? And why not clean up the pages properly from remnants of underlying colouring layers? Again, nothing that really matters, but a sure sign of haste.

The impression is that the author at the very last stages of design simply tired of the whole thing and threw all the good work he had done together in a big haste. Was there a deadline approaching for the "Fanaty Kartonu" magazine?

Again, this is just a few random remarks, and nothing that should make anybody interested abstain from building this very fine model.

But it is interesting to think about the process that goes on behind the curtains of any model.

Leif

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (28. Oktober 2007, 20:48)

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2007, 20:39

Notes on building military aircraft

The other thing I've been thinking about a little bit facing this model is the whole enterprise of building one model after another of instruments and death and destruction. I know Martin ("Sparrowhawk") and others have gone through these same sentiments, and I don't have any fresh arguments.

But working on this particular model, I couldn't help thinking about what it was supposed to be used for. It's a dive-bomber, and as such a purely offensive (as opposed to defensive) instrument of war. It's objective was to bomb and destroy, with as great efficiency as possible.

And the young men who flew it were, I imagine, just as ardent and possibly even fanatic nationalists and chauvinists as any terrorist bomber (religious or state-supported) you could imagine.

It is also a peculiarly non-charming aircraft, possessing none (again, in my view) of the possibly redeeming features of some aircrafts that come to mind. (Although it is kind of difficult to defend the building of a Spitfire on these grounds, too - right, Martin? Although I share your weakness in this respect, I can't really defend it.)

So I kept thinking that should I ever build this aircraft, I would like to build it like a monument to military ugliness; a dreary, olive-drab heap of riveted metal, given over to a handful of scared, although very proud, young men, who hopefully - at least some of them - would survive and get an opportunity to think about what they had been through.

But I am not so sure I could ever get this feeling through in the finished model. So chances are, I won't build it.

Which doesn't make me a better kind of person at all. Just a simple vacillator.

Leif

therapy

Schüler

• »therapy« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 13. Oktober 2006

Beruf: ingenieur IT

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2007, 21:32

Am I wrong, or are the wheel-bays missing entirely?
Or are we supposed just to cut the hole in the wing.

2nd. I did not quite understand, how are the joints between the wings and the fuselage modeled to get a seamless fit?
If you don't care where you are, You ain't lost

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2007, 22:01

About the wheel wells

Hello,

about the wheel wells, I think your are supposed to cut out the entire landing gear cover from the wing part. Then you make separate landing gear covers from the parts included on parts sheet 4 (see illustration below). Notice the grey and brown coloured landing gear covers.

Similarly, on parts sheet 8 (also attached) you will notice some brown parts which are obviously interior parts for the wings, to be seen through the open wheel wells. On another sheet, there are also brown ribs for building the version with extended landing gear.

On one of the instructions sheets (attached) you can see how the interior brown parts may well fit between the spar and ribs.

From the same instruction sheet you can also sort of guess that you should bend the rear end of the wing covers sort of outward in order to get a good joint with the fuselage. Very good of you to have caught on to this problem! Now that you pointed met to it, I think it is a rather ingenious design.

And good to see that someone else is at least contemplating the model.

Best, Leif
  • Judy-sheet-4-wheel-wells.jpg
  • Judy-sheet-8-wheel-wells.jpg
  • Judy-instr-wheel-wells.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 4 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (28. Oktober 2007, 23:24)

therapy

Schüler

• »therapy« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 29. Oktober 2007, 09:04

I was "studying" the model for about 1 hour last night :)
But still, you helped a little :)

Since many don't understand the instructions, it would be nice, if someone could find time to translate some of the most important sentences :)

There are many tiny parts, I don't know where to put them:)
Then, the order in which to build it together is not clear.
Does it match the order of the instruction sheets?

On the other hand, I like how the ailerons, flaps, rudders are modelled.

But what I liked the most, is the texture and the weathering.

Unusually well done for a free model!
The cutting lines should have been done thinner, and it could match the quality of the upper class models :)

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 29. Oktober 2007, 10:23

I haven't quite placed all parts yet either. But in a way, that's what makes these models interesting - figuring them out makes them much more your own, sort of.

I also agree about the cut lines. That is particularly embarrasing when enlarging. But then, you could always cut sort of close to the part proper wherever needed.

Generally, in a well-designed model, it is a good idea to progress "by the numbers" so to speak. But I don't know if that holds true for this model as well.

I hope you let us hear about your progress on this "mystery" model as you go along.

Leif

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (2. November 2007, 18:36)

MHBS

Profi

• »MHBS« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 6. Mai 2004

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 29. Oktober 2007, 14:15

Dear Leif,

thank you for the link to the model! The pictures show the Judy in the Yushukan in Tokyo. The plane is still there and can be visited.

With best regards,

Matthias

Kangaroo

Schüler

Registrierungsdatum: 30. Oktober 2007

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2007, 12:17

Suisei

Hallo

I am the author of the model. Thank you for the interest in my "creation".

I have instructions in English, but slightly outdated in comparison with those in Polish. Over next few days I will update them and I will ask Mr Kokoc to add them to the Downloads section of Fanatyk Kartonu.

It is quite difficult to make good instructions. On this model I used drawings with annotations but in other model I used photographs taken during a trial buld with background edited out and annotations added.

Regards
Andrew

MHBS

Profi

• »MHBS« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 6. Mai 2004

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2007, 13:11

Dear Andrew,

thank you very much indeed for sharing your design with all of us!

With kind regards,

Matthias

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2007, 19:27

Hello Andrew,

and many thanks for making this fine model available - and for making an attempt to add instructions in English. This is much appreciated!

Meanwhile, if you have time, could you just say a few words about the red and blue colour codes. What thickness of card do you recommend for laminating, respectively, for these parts?

I'm guessing that some of these parts will be quite thick. The main spar, for example, seems to be 2mm + 2 mm (judging from the cutout in the fuselage part). In 1/16 that would be 8 mm altogether! (But this is my problem, of course...)

Looking forward to hearing from you, also about many of the intricacies of the design.

Leif

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2007, 20:17

Andrew,

thinking about what's needed, I think it would go a long way if you could just provide English translations for the text on your instructions sheets (captions for the sketches). The sketches are very good and almost enough. But some of the comments really would be nice to have translated.

(I imagine it would be just as simple for you to do that directly on your originals. But if there is a problem, I would gladly help to add translations to existing sheets.)

I am intrigued and fascinated by several features of your design. To mention just one, it would be the design of the canopy, and its frame. Have I understood it correctly that you suggest an outer and inner layer of printed patterns on self-adhesive labels, and in the middle is a layer of thicker card plus transparent sections? Sounds like it would result in a very scale-like canopy! Which would be the best way, in your opinion, to get the desired curvature of the parts?

Then of course there is the "uwaga" text on instruction page 3 ... and many other intriguing details.

Leif

Kangaroo

Schüler

Registrierungsdatum: 30. Oktober 2007

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 1. November 2007, 12:02

Suisei

Hi

I have loaded the instructions in English and some photos in PHOTOBUCKET. They are under USERNAME Piplek

Regards

Andrzej

Dansls1

Schüler

• »Dansls1« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 21. Mai 2007

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 1. November 2007, 20:10

I'm glad I found this thread. I had been led to this model last week and like some others here was impressed with the detail and coloring / weathering from a free download 1/33 scale model. It's somewhere in my large build list to build this model. This discussion will surely help my ability to build it correctly when I get around to it ;)
-Dan

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 2. November 2007, 09:01

And the address is...

Dear Andrew,

many thanks for undertaking this work for us!

And for all the rest, here's the url to Andrew's instructions in English:
http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/

And here's an additional photo from that site, to wet your appetite:

There are more, plus some photo instructions, and complete instructions with English text.

Finally, there's an explanation for the colour code:

Black text means print on 200-220g paper (interesting; just what I've been thinking about - I found some at work and will try this thicker paper!)

Blue text means print on ordinary paper (80 g)

Red text means glue on cardboard (1 mm)

Grey text means print on sticky label paper (also very interesting!)

Thanks again Andrew!

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 4 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (2. November 2007, 18:34)

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 2. November 2007, 18:47

I should have mentioned it before, but the original tip on this model came from a new member, "Richard", in this thread at Papermodelers.net. I just followed up on the tip.

The fact that I had left out the reference to the original find struck me when Dan ("Dansls-1") from Papermodelers.net joined the discussion over here.

And speaking of the discussion, I valued your remarks, Martin, and I do much agree. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was on my mind, too. "Flight to Arras" is a rather terrifying book and did much to cure me of overly romanticizing war in the air.

For much the same reason, I don't think I could ever build a B-17, or a Lancaster, or - sadly - a B24. What I could conceive of, however, is converting a B17 to the first Swedish transatlantic airliner during the last years of the war and the first post-war years (much like your potential conversion of the Japanese Kamikaze aircraft); or a B24 to a C87 transport aircraft (as featured for example in Ernest Gann's book "Fate is the hunter", which describes airlines pilots of the 30s, 40s, and 50s; I strongly recommend it!).

And the fact that the Suisei was converted to a Kamikaze aircraft at the end of the war puts me off even more.

But the effort behind the model, and the sometimes novel design of it, still intrigues me a lot.

Leif

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (2. November 2007, 19:19)

Dansls1

Schüler

• »Dansls1« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 2. November 2007, 19:17

I also originally got this model from the post by Richard at papermodelers.net. It's funny - I downloaded it and even showed my wife because I was so impressed with the weathering (she rolled her eyes at me - but once she turned and looked at the computer screen, she even agreed that it looked nice ;) ).

I've honestly never considered the 'morality' of model choices. From when I was a little kid, I've always been infatuated with WW2 aircraft and how they look. I choose my models based on how it will look when done and really few other factors (complexity, reputation of the designer / publisher). For all the other models I've ever build, I just seem to be drawn to fighter aircraft.

Oh - and it's Dans LS1. I drive a Pontiac GTO and the engine is the GM LS1. My personalized license plate is dansls1 - so I've used it on car forums as my alias for a while ;).
-Dan

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 2. November 2007, 19:32

Seiran - Suisei question

Martin, the question has already been asked by Zaphod above, but do you know anything about how/if the Seiran (which I only learned more about after reading you post), and the Suisei are actually related?

What I learned by a quick search (fascinating reading) was that the two aircrafts certainly look much alike, and that they have the same engine, but the Seiran was designed and manufactured by Aichi, while the Suisei was a Yokosuka-made aircraft.

I know next to nothing about Japanese aircraft, so I'm all open to being further educated.

Leif

By the way, here's an image (source: this Hungarian page) of how the Seiran was designed to be loaded on gigantic submarines, from which they could be launched within 25 minutes. There wasn't a larger submarine built until 1962...

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 9 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (12. November 2007, 20:47)

Dansls1

Schüler

• »Dansls1« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 2. November 2007, 20:13

http://www.gremirmodels.com/m6a1_seiran.htm

There's a paper model of the Seiran recently released from Gremirmodels.com ;)
-Dan

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 2. November 2007, 23:29

Thanks both of you. The link to your reference, Martin, was a bit difficult to get to work, so here it is again (just to make access to relevant information more easy).

Very interesting text, also at the at the Gremir site.

Comparing the paper and plastic models of the same aircraft was interesting too.

Leif

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (2. November 2007, 23:31)

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 5. November 2007, 11:59

Condensed instructions

While working on Andrew's model of the Suisei I condensed all 17 new instruction sheets down to 5 handy A4 sheets, containing all the information kindly supplied by Andrew:

Cockpit
Fuselage-1
Fuselage-2
Wings, flaps & rudders
Overview & glazing

Illustrations of the new sheets attached. PDF files for your use in the next post.
  • Cockpit.jpg
  • Fuselage-1.jpg
  • Fuselage-2.jpg
  • Overview-glazing.jpg
  • Wings-flaps.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (5. November 2007, 12:17)

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 5. November 2007, 11:59

Instructions PDF files

And here are the pdf files for your use.
»Leif Ohlsson« hat folgende Dateien angehängt:
  • Cockpit.pdf (129,78 kB - 712 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 25. August 2017, 09:31)
  • Fuselage-1.pdf (162,79 kB - 444 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 25. August 2017, 09:31)
  • Fuselage-2.pdf (138,25 kB - 421 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 16. Juli 2017, 17:09)
  • Overview-glazing.pdf (153,17 kB - 376 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 16. Juli 2017, 17:10)
  • Wings-flaps.pdf (158,22 kB - 413 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 16. Juli 2017, 17:10)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (5. November 2007, 12:15)

• »Papiertiger« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 30. März 2004

Beruf: Diplom-Ingenieur, ausgemustert

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 5. November 2007, 12:32

RE: Instructions PDF files

Hello, Leif,

many thanks for your efforts! I downloaded and saved the files immediatly.

Best wishes
Friedrich
Fülle Deine Tage mit Leben und nicht Dein Leben mit Tagen.

therapy

Schüler

• »therapy« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 5. November 2007, 13:43

I wonder if we will see a report on this one soon?

Ich bin neugierig, ob wir einen Report von diesem Modell bald sehen werden?

Would be a very popular thread :)

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 5. November 2007, 13:49

Well, we'll see, won't we? I'm sure Andrew ("Kangaroo", the designer) would like to see that, too.

Meanwhile, Andrew (I hope you look in here from time to time), - if and when I get to enlarging the part sheets to 1/16 scale and rearranging them onto new sheets, would it be alright with you if I publish that version here as well? (All rights and credits remaining with you, of course.)

I very much would like to encourage more people trying out such experiments, and this seems to be such a good opportunity, since you have already published your model for free downloading.

Leif

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (8. November 2007, 14:34)

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 12. November 2007, 18:29

Free DB601 engine suitable for the D4Y2 Suisei and others

Richard at Papermodelers.com (who discovered the Suisei) just tipped us all off about a recent free download model of the DB 601 engine. The intention of the designer ("Alin" at the Konradus forum) is to use it for the Halinski Me BF 109F.

My immediate reaction was that it would be ideally suited also for the Yokosuka D4Y2 Suisei that Richard already found for us. It will be a challenge to adapt the model to the engine of course, but for the experienced modeler so inclined it seems to be entirely feasible, since there is no bulkhead in that area. What I initially deemed to be a weakness of that model, may in fact turn out to be a real stroke of luck!

It is a particularly lucky feature that this free download model of the appropriate engine also contains the guns (which are missing from Andrew's model of the D4Y2 - since he never intended it to have interior detailing not immediately visible from the outside). Now it is possible to build a version with a partially dismantled engine hood to show the engine & guns.

If you enlarge both the model and the engine to 1/16 the result ought to be spectacular!

I have introduced the DB 601 kit (with more illustrations and links for downloading) in this post here at Kartonbau.de.
  • DB601-sideview.jpg
  • DB601-topview.jpg
  • DB601-frontview1.jpg
  • DB601-frontview2.jpg
  • DB601-firewall.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (12. November 2007, 20:16)

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 12. November 2007, 20:05

Modifications called for

I couldn't help myself but playing a little with the DB601 engine and the Susei model. I made a three-view of the engine from the illustrations in the download, and overlaid some parts from the Suisei model.

Preliminary results indicate that there is - as expected - ample room sideways for the engine. However, there doesn't seem to be enough space lengthwise, in front of the firewall bulkhead of the model.

This doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the aircraft model, just that the arrangement of equipment in the Suisei probably differed from that of the Bf109. What it does mean, however, is that some modifications to the engine model will be necessary.

The space needed corresponds almost exactly to the space taken up by the gun magazines in the engine model. My guess, therefore, is that in the Suisei the guns were placed with their magazine parts behind the firewall bulkhead, which means that you will have to omit these parts from the engine model if you incorporate it into the Suisei. Just keep the gun barrels and stick them through appropriately positioned holes in the firewall bulkhead.

Engine mounts will have to be made correspondingly shorter, which is easy.

There is of course nothing preventing a builder from assemblying the gun magazines behind the firewall bulkhead - this will just add to the level of detail, although unfortunately it is unlikely that you will be able to seem them in the finished model, unless you go all out and make a few detachable panels in the fuselage behind the firewall, showing off the guns and magazines.

In that case I think an extra bulkhead between the gun compartment and the cockpit would be called for (and most likely there was one in the original aircraft). This could be accomplished fairly easy, since the profile of the fuselage doesn't change much at this particular section. Just copy the upper part of the firewall bulkhead and add an extra bulkhead a few cm behind the firewall, in front of the instrument panel and rudder panels. Sounds like a rather good idea, in fact!

I added some annotated photos and excerpts from the 3D drawing (all previously published above in this thread), demonstrating what I believe must be access hatches for the guns.

Note also the engine (unfortunately not a high quality photo), which can be compared to the model of the DB601.

With the rearrangement of parts I think the position of the air intake for the compressor in the Suisei becomes much more logical. As can be seen from the model of the DB601, the compressor is situated immediately behind the engine. In the Suisei, this would be butt against the firewall. And that is why the air intake rear fairing extends even a bit behind the firewall.
  • Three-view.jpg
  • Engine&gunhatches.jpg
  • Gun-access-hatch.jpg
  • Gun-access-hatch-3D.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 13 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (12. November 2007, 23:08)

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 26. November 2007, 11:38

Enlarging the D4Y2 Suisei to 1/16 scale

The designer of the Yokosuka D4Y2 Suisei, Andrzej Inwald (Andrew, nickname "Kangaroo" on this site), has graciously allowed me not only to rescale his model and rearrange the parts on new printing sheets of suitable format, but also to publish the result here at Kartonbau.de as free downloads. Starting today, you will be able to download the 1/16 scale version in sections.

I have always wanted to encourage people to enlarge the high-quality paper models we enjoy today. Haven't you sometimes seen a beautiful large scale model in a model shop and wished you could have a similar sized model hanging from your own roof?

The main reason you can't get such kits in paper is cost - there simply wouldn't be much of a market. But with the technique we are enjoying today - downloaded models, or scans of purchased models - big and beautiful models are entirely within reach for anyone who is willing to learn a few simple tricks about paper sizes.

For copyright reasons, it has been very difficult to share the results of such techniques - very few high-quality models worth building in a larger scale are copyright-free. With Andrew's generous permission, however, this final obstacle has now been removed for the D4Y2 Suisei. So here we go!

The version enlarged here is the one with open bomb-bay doors, since builders in this scale would most likely want the most detailed version. The enlarged model will be published as we go along in the following sections:

Cockpit
Fuselage center
Fuselage tail
Fuselage nose
Stab & fin
Wings & flaps
Final details

For each of these sections, separate sets of black, red, and blue parts sheets are provided. The colour code refes to the paper thickness, which we will get back to. The point here is that rearranging the parts enables the builder to print just the sheets necessary for the particular section to be built next. (This way you have an opportunity to try out 1/16 scale paper modeling without too much of a committment; just build the cockpit section, as an example, and see what if feels like.)

In the main directory for downloading the 1/16 Suisei there is a folder containing Andrew's original instruction sketches. They have already been published earlier in this thread, but the ones now provided in the download section are of higher resolution and thus better quality.

In due course there will be some extra refinements offered. I have received permission to rescale and publish 1/16 scale versions of both John Griffin's pilot figure, and Alin Osarik's DB601 detailed engine. But more of this later.

Waiting for all of the first five files (the cockpit interior) to appear in the Downloads section, will be a good moment to contemplate Andrew's own photos of his finished model (in 1/33 scale). These photos are quite useful for reference later on, so please remember that they are here for closer study when needed.
  • Suisei-3.jpg
  • Suisei-1.jpg
  • Suisei-2.jpg

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 26. November 2007, 11:47

Some quick advice on printing format

You do need larger papers than standard A4 to build in 1/16 scale. What many don't realize is that this is entirely possible also in a standard A4 ink-jet printer (such as many now have).

The trick is to cut down a large paper size (such as A3) to the maximum width that such a printer will accept, but retain the A3 length. The maximum width of most simple printers is that of "US letter", namely 21.6 cm. And the length of an A3 sheet is 42 cm.

So what we do, is define a new paper size in the printer page set-up box, 21.6 x 42 cm. While you are at it, define yet another special paper size, namely 8 x 42 cm. The reason is that this is what you get as a left-over, when you cut an A3 sheet down to 21.6 cm width. These smaller sheets will prove to be quite useful.

By using these two new paper formats, we will be able to utilize the full A3 sheets. Big parts will go on the larger sheets, smaller details on the small sheets. These are the only paper sizes used in this version. (Except for just a couple of A4 for some special purposes and instruction sketches.)

Next, you might as well get used to the black, red and blue colour code, since it will pop up ever so often in this account.

The colour code is Andrew's and refers to the paper thickness. Here, it is properly adjusted for rescaling: Thus, for this 1/16 scale version, print red parts on 160g & laminate on 2mm card; print black parts on 200g, or even slightly heavier; and print blue parts on 160g paper.

What you need in the way of paper, then, is A3 sheets of 200g paper (or even slightly heavier), and 160g paper, plus - preferably - A3 (or larger) sheets of 2mm card.

If you hate cutting 2mm card enough, you may laminate on 1mm. Then you would have to print double copies of the red sheets, cut out the parts twice, and double them up. In that case I would recommend printing the red sheets on standard 80g paper. (This isn't as hard as it seems, since there are comparatively few laminated parts in Andrew's design - nothing like a Halinski kit, as an example.)

Most of the general information so far is collected in the "Notes-general" in the main directory for downloading the D4Y2 Suisei.

Next installment will be the description of the first section, the cockpit. (I'll wait until all the proper files has appeared in the Downloads section.)

Jan Hascher

Moderator - DerTranslator

• »Jan Hascher« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 23. September 2004

Beruf: Filtrierer

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 27. November 2007, 08:48

Hi Folks,
wie Leif schon angekündigt hat, gibt es die von ihm skalierte Suisei jetzt bei uns als Download. Vielen Dank an Andrzej Inwald für die Erlaubnis das Modell hier zu veröffentlichen und Dank an Leif für die Skalierungsarbeit.

Hier gehts zum Download:
Yokosuka D4Y2 Suisei

Achtung, viele große Dateien!

Viele Grüße
Jan
Jeder, der einen Post mit "Ich habe zwar keine Ahnung, aber..." beginnt, möge bitte den Absenden-Button ignorieren.

therapy

Schüler

• »therapy« ist männlich

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 27. November 2007, 08:57

Bauen, bauen, bauen!!!!

build it build it :) :) :)

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 27. November 2007, 11:20

The cockpit

All the files are now in the download section - thank you Jan! So here we go with the description of the first section - the cockpit interior. As always, study the appropriate section in the instructions closely while familiarizing yourself with this version of the kit.

The cockpit interior will be your first opportunity to familiarize yourself with the strange new format of printing sheets. For this section, there are two black sheets, two blue sheets, and one red sheet, all of them in the larger, 21.6 x 42 cm size.

Notice how easy it is, when you have to rearrange parts anyway, to collect all the parts for the forward cockpit compartment on one sheet, and all parts for the aft cockpit compartment on another (yes, I am a little bit proud over small things like these...).

The red sheet contains all the framework parts to be printed on 160g and laminated on 2mm card. The black sheets are regular parts, to be printed on 200g. The blue sheets for 160g are mostly back sides of formers, etc, plus roll-up parts.

Note: I must confess that 160g for the roll-up parts is a bit of guess-work on my part. To get the correct diameter when doubling the scale, the paper thickness should be doubled, too - hence the 160g. But some parts may also become very difficult to roll in this thickness. A bit of experimenting will be called for here.

The same thing goes for the red sheets to be laminated. If you follow the original, you should print it on 200g paper. I think 160g might be sufficient, and it will also help not to get the fit too tight in places.

Some of the parts for the main wing spar assembly (S-1a X & S-1Sb X) are not to be glued in at this stage. They are nevertheless included here in order to be able to dry-fit the spacing for the spar when making the cockpit. A few other cockpit details will be glued in at the next stage (Fuselage center section), as noted in the instructions.

The placement of some of the cockpit interior details is difficult to locate from the instruction sketches. Interior photographs of the original cockpit would be very helpful - pointers, anyone?

Modifications:

I have made new parts for the back of the front instrument side panels. The instructions indicate these as parts I-1h-3 and I-1h-4, which I couldn't find in the original parts sheets.

Red part I-1a-3 is wrongly marked "I-2a-3" in the original. To avoid confusion, this has been corrected for this version. (It is the part that forms the bottom of the sub-assembly I-1-2, and it goes into the slot in the floor of the rear compartment, between pilot and observer.)

Since I have chosen the version with open bomb-bay doors, the former B-F1 (a, b, c) is the short version on original sheet 12. If you wish to build the version with closed bomb bay doors, choose the tall version on original 1/33 sheet 10 (download link at the beginning of this thread) and enlarge the three parts 206 percent to 1/16 scale.

On blue sheet 2 there are several unmarked grey strips. I imagine they are for lining bulkheads and formers where needed, and have indicated so on the parts sheet. Anybody got a better idea what they are for?

Builders who wish to incorporate pilot and observer figures would want to plan for this already now. The best examples of such figures I have found, enlarged to 1/16 scale, will be supplied towards the end of this thread.

[Attachments below are illustrations and not to scale. Do not download. Use the download directory for the Suisei here at Kartonbau.de.]
  • Cockpit_black-1.jpg
  • Cockpit_black-2.jpg
  • Cockpit_blue-1.jpg
  • Cockpit_blue-2.jpg
  • Cockpit_red.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 6 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (28. November 2007, 13:37)

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 28. November 2007, 11:36

Interlude

I am happy to report that the designer, Andrew Inwald ("Kangaroo") from Australia, is following this thread and has promised to comment himself upon questions and issues that might arise as we go along. We may also get more photographs of the model.

Waiting for his first comments this may be a good opportunity to present an effort by another designer which will fit admirably with the Suisei, namely the pilot & observer/gunner figures by John Griffin.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (28. November 2007, 11:42)

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 28. November 2007, 11:37

John Griffin's pilot & observer figures

A large and detailed model like this deserves good pilot and observer/gunner figures. The most promising I have come across so far are by John Griffin, and offered in 1/33 and 1/24 scale as free download at the Gremir site.

The figure represents a typical WWII fighter pilot from the USAAF in the European theatre of war. However, I think the figure is generic enough to represent crew members of the era from other nations and scenes as well.

With the author's permission, I have rescaled this figure and rearranged the parts so that they still fit on a single A4 sheet. Paper thickness is left to the builders discretion. The 1/16 scale pilot is now available in the directory for the 1/16 Suisei.

Note: For use with the Yokosuka D4Y2 Suisei, print two copies and make figures into pilot and observer/gunner. It would be most interesting to see how these figures come across in 1/16 scale!

One thought is to try to shape (emboss) the face, for examples around the nose & eyes. Perhaps also the helmet should be made as an extra layer, in order to get a clear-cut edge at the brow & cheeks. Head-phones could be simulated by yet an extra small layer. Ideas abound, but who is to realize all of them...

[Attachment below is an illustration and not to scale. Do not download. Use the download directory for the Suisei here at Kartonbau.de.]
»Leif Ohlsson« hat folgendes Bild angehängt:
  • Pilot_1-16-scale.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (28. November 2007, 13:31)

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 29. November 2007, 07:43

Fuselage center section

Continuing with the parts for covering the center section (the cockpit area). I have only provided the center section skin part F-1X, representing the version with open bomb-bay doors, since builders who attempt this scale will most probably want to make the most detailed version available.

(Should you wish to build the version with closed bomb-bay doors, use the original part F-1 provided on original 1/33 scale download sheet 1; joining strips J-F1-2 and J-F1 on original sheet 2; plus interior part F-1 rev R & L and joining strip back J-F1-2 rev on original sheet 8; enlarge them 206 percent to get to 1/16 scale.)

The small part F-1a goes at the bottom of the main bulkhead F1 and forms an angled step leaning toward the front part of the fuselage.

Should you wish to incorporate the detailed DB601 engine (more about this later), the time to provide a patterned front also of the forward former is of course now. Copy the existing full-grey pattern on the blue parts sheet.

Note that the bomb black parts are printed on a separate small sheet - this is the first time you encounter the smaller sheet size. The blue parts of the bomb (reverse sides and roll-up parts) are printed on the larger blue parts sheet.

Modification made:

To the best of my understanding, after having studied the original design and instructions closely, the slot for the main wing spar in the fuselage (part F1-X) is too large. The smaller, rearward, slot will only have to accomodate one layer of 2mm reinforcement (part S-1Sb X). I have therefore made it slightly smaller (only 2mm). Should I be wrong, it is a small matter to enlarge it accordingly.

Note also that the slots in the interior sheeting will have to be cut after glueing them in place.

Important: Study the arrangement and design of the wing spar closely before glueing in the first part. The spar consists of several parts: 1) the rearward, reinforced part (all white), which is to be glued in while making the center section of the fuselage; and 2) a brownish patterned part, which is to be cut in two main sections inserted one from each side when attaching the wings. 3) In addition, a part of this outer spar should be divided, and the outer (white) part glued into the wing as part of its outer framework before attaching the completed wing to the previously glued spar sections.

None of these latter parts are provided at this stage; however, you need to remember to allow space for them, since they go in front of the first, unbroken centre section glued in at this stage. (More about this later; the important part here is to remember to provide an additional 2mm of space in front of the part you will glue in now; this is also why the forward part of the slot in the skin should be 4mm, and the rearward part only 2mm.)

To facilitate this, I have provided a 2mm spacer part on the red sheet to be used when glueing in the rearward spar. This part is not to be glued in, just used to get the correct spacing.

[Attachments below are illustrations and not to scale. Do not download. Use the download directory for the Suisei here at Kartonbau.de.]
  • Fuse_center_black-1.jpg
  • Fuse_center_blue.jpg
  • Fuse_center_black-2.jpg
  • Fuse_center_red.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (29. November 2007, 07:51)

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 30. November 2007, 10:24

Fuselage tail section

The tail section black parts have been printed on one large (main parts), and one small (joining strips) sheet. Part F7a is the cover for the arresting hook, and should be curved and then glued on to the bottom. There is no pattern for the arresting hook, but it will be easy to make from soft wire, painted grey or black, with the help of the instruction sketches. A hole should be cut in the skin, corresponding to the hole in the joining strip and the pattern printed on the outer skin layer.

There are only a few red parts (to be laminated on 2mm), but they have nevertheless been collected on a small sheet, so that the printing of parts can be undertaken step-by-step as you build section by section. The spars for the fin and stab have been included here, so you can dry-fit them at this stage.

Note: 1) According to the instruction sketches, the fin spar should be glued to the rear of the stabilizer spar, then cracked and bent backwards. Make a slit half through the spar at the appropriate height after dry-fitting the parts. 2) A reinforcement for the tailwheel has to be mounted inside section F8. Make from cork (according to instructions) or from laminated scrap pieces of 2mm card.

There is a small interior (blue) part "J-F7 rev". Since it is designated "J", it seems to be a joining strip. However, there already is a "J-F7" joining strip that doesn't seem to need a reverse side, since it is not visible through any opening in the fuselage. The only logical place for the patterned "J-F7 rev" part seem to be at the inside, top aft part of the F-7 section. There it would be visible if you happen to look in through the hole made for the rear end of the arrestor hook.

• Fuse_tail_black-1.jpg
  • Fuse_tail_blue.jpg
  • Fuse_tail_black-2.jpg
  • Fuse_tail_red.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (30. November 2007, 10:26)

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 30. November 2007, 20:34

Fuselage nose section

The nose section is quite complicated, particularly the lower part (containing the radiator/coolers), and the instructions must be studied rather carefully. As far as I understand it, the double former B-F3/B-F3a should be stuck into a slot in the lower part of the engine cowling when mounting the lower part to the main cowling. (Note here that this part will probably call for some modification if you intend to build a detailed scale engine.)

There are two small blue parts sheet. The author seems to have included plenty of spares for the exhaust stacks (blue parts E-2). Twelve of them should be enough, but I have kept a few spares on the first sheet, to be on the safe side. These should of course be painted black on the inside (probably best done after assemblying on to red part E-1).

I have also provided some spare interior material on this blue sheet. This may be required if the builder wishes to make the cooling flanges in F-2 and F-3 partiallly open. On the second blue sheet, there was space for spare copies of parts F-9 and F-10.

Note: Photos of the finished model (see this post) indicate that part F4-a should be curved inwards and recessed at the front, and part F-1B curved outwards forming the rear end of part F-9 (which is rolled up according to the pattern provided, with a supporting paper cylinder inside; this is the air intake for the engine compressor).

The two parts F-10 should be curved inwards. The builder will have to shape them according to the sketch in the instructions, so that they form the bottom of the machine-gun openings, running between the openings cut in skin parts F-4 and F-3.

The spinner section is included here, to enable proper fitting at this stage; the prop blades, however, are in the final details section.

If you plan to include the detailed DB601 engine (designed by Alin Osarik), this is the time to plan for it. A 1/16 scale version of this model is the subject of the next installment.

• Fuse_nose_black-1.jpg
  • Fuse_nose_black-2.jpg
  • Fuse_nose_blue-1.jpg
  • Fuse_nose_blue-2.jpg
  • Fuse_nose_red.jpg

Social Bookmarks