Englischer Monitor M-15 PSW

• Hallo,

wie immer der "Baubericht danach"

Die M-15 von David Hathaway entworfen zeigt mit viel Liebe zum Detail einen ungewöhnlichen Schiffstyp aus der Zeit des Ersten Weltkriegs (hier auf Besuch in Hamburg).
    Das 23,5cm Hauptgeschütz diente in erster Linie dem Beschuss von Landzielen. Die M-15 wurde mit einigen Schwesterschiffen zu diesem Zweck bei Gallipoli, später wurde sie durch einen Torpedotreffer eines deutschen U-Boots versenkt. Immerhin 2/3 der Besatzung kamen bei einer Sinkzeit von 3 Minuten lebend von Bord.

Der Reiz des Modells liegt m.E. in der Diskrepanz von kleinem Schiffskörper und vergleichsweise schwerem Geschütz. David hat auch die M-33 im Programm, aber deren 15cm Geschütze wirken bei weitem nicht so disproportioniert.

Zaphod

Hier die Anmerkungen zum Bau:

M - 15 (1915)

Royal Navy
    Monitor (1915)
    Hersteller: PSW
    Konstrukteur: Hathaway
    Maßstab: 1/250
    Teile: 403 + 44 = 447 Teile
    Bauzeit: 1.8.2007 - 18.9.2007

General remarks
    · the copyright varies. On the title-page it is 2004, on the first sheet with diagrams it is 2003, on all other sheets it is 2005.
    · the number of parts is not 300 as given on the title page, but rather slightly above 400.

Title-Page
    · the machine-guns are missing on the view from the side
    · the navigation lights are missing on the view from the top

List of parts

Parts which are on a different diagram or on more diagrams than mentioned
    · parts 34, 41, 48, 57, 58 and 59 are not on diagram D as indicated

Diagrams

I generally assume that the number of the parts as printed on the sheets is correct and therefore have corrected sketches and instructions when the numbers there deviated.
    · changed numbers are expressively mentioned or have been underlined
    · if there is no comment, everything was fine

The Model

Parts 1-14 (Hull (base, spine, formers)) (20 Parts)
    Irritations
    · only two doors have to be glued on part 5, nevertheless there are four.

Numbers
    · the base does not carry the numbers of the formers
    · the numbers of all formers are printed besides them. They should be printed on them to avoid confusing the cut-out parts.

Parts 15-24, 64 (Hull (decks, superstructure, hull sides)) (44 Parts)
    Fit
    · part 15 does not fit well on the hull skeleton. Formers 8-11 have to be trimmed on both sides, the part of the spine through which part 15 is shoved is too long as well.
    · parts 20 and 21 seem to be of uneven length (about 1mm they did not fit exactly on the markers on part 15)
    · hull sides (23-24) The crucial part is where they meet part 16. Before starting to glue one should make sure that the hull sides are aligned properly. A corresponding hint might be included in the instructions.

Numbers
    · in the instructions part 18 is erroneously called 17

Print
    · the rectangles for the aft bollards are printed solid black. This should be changed.

Suggestions for improvements
    · the four black holes on deck 17 can be cut out. To avoid a look at the white inside colour the hull up to former 3 black (this goes for deck 17 and the hull sides 23 and 24 too). This covers the oval holes. Construct two tiny cylinders which are blackened inside and closed at the other side. Glue these cylinders at the back of part 17 so that they close the two round holes.

Suggestions for building in a different order
    · the ladders 64 should be fixed at this stage. They will become more difficult to access when the build progresses.

Parts 25-28, 67 (Hull (decks, superstructure, hull sides, ladders)) (24 Parts)
    Suggestions for improvements
    · PART 27: I found it too difficult to bend the long railing. First I cut it into two (outer and inner side), then I cut the inner railing into shorter pieces (8 altogether) and fitted them individually.

· the six ladders 67 should be fixed at this stage. The places where they are to be glued are easily accessible and there is no risk of brushing off other parts by accident.

Part 29 (breakwater) (5 Parts)
    Numbers
    · in the instructions the part is called 29 and 29a (rectangles), on the sheet the numbers are 29a, 29b and 29c respectively, differentiating the two different sizes of the rectangles. The instructions should be changed.

Part 30 (funnel) (9 + 7 = 16 Parts)
    Diagram D
    · the labelling of the steam-pipes has to be changed
    · sketch top
    · change j into h at the right-hand side of the sketch
    · sketch bottom
    · change top into front
    · change h into j and vice versa

Instructions
    · part 30e is not a former (which is missing completely and should be made from scratch), but the funnel top
    · part 30f is not the funnel top, but the deflector
    · part 30g is not the deflector, but the ladder (which is not mentioned)
    · there are three steam-pipes (h,i,j)

· part 30b should be glued to 30a before 30a is glued on the deck

Additional parts
    · parts 30e and 30f should be joined with a thin strip of paper glued underneath

Part 31 (search light) (13 Parts)
    Numbers
    · the instructions refer to diagram E, this has to be changed to D

Parts 32-36 (boxes and vents) (32 Parts)
    · on diagram C the vents 34 below gun No 46 and near the breakwater are drawn as if they had a thick head

Parts 43-45, 54 (9.2 gun) (54 + 6 = 60 Parts)
    Painting
    · the instructions should mention that it is advisable to colour w and the upper part of q light grey, whereas the lower part of q should be blackened, as well as e, f and the inner side of l

Improvements/Changes
    · I preferred to cut l into 6 segments which I then wrapped around each other. It took some fitting but made things easier for me.
    · the gaps in hand-wheel r´ can be cut out carefully
    · wheels s´ and t´ should be replaced by photo-etched parts
    · to avoid warping part w might be doubled
    · the gun can be enabled to elevate with a needle which is thrust through h, j, k and l

Problems
    · I experienced difficulties wrapping shield q around parts e-g. The bottom circle would not close and left a gap of 1mm, probably due to poor workmanship on my side..

Numbers
    · the pivot parts d are labelled d and d´ in the instructions but d1 and d on the sheet
    · a 50 is printed at the side of the field with parts 43h and 43i

· cable reel 54 should be fixed before railing and grenades are fixed
    · grenades 45 should be fixed before railing 44 is fixed

Instructions
    · the diagram does not show on which side/end of t t´ is to be glued

Part 46 (12 pounder gun) (14 Parts)
    Fit
    · part e is a bit too wide to take up the gun barrel smoothly

Numbers
    · the gun barrel is labelled a, but there is the real part a which forms the base of the gun. The gun barrel should be changed to k
    · diagram D lists some parts which aren´t there (k (gun barrel), n (???), t (should be f))

Part 47 (6 pounder gun) (10 Parts)
    · the form of part d does not correspond with its form on the diagram

Part 48-53 (bridge accessoirs, compass platform, compasses) (19 Parts)
    · I did not quite understand how part 50 was to be folded (was the rectangle just for doubling up?) and fixed. Photographs from paper shipwright´s test build show the part glued very high at part 27. As this is a railing this seems rather peculiar. Furthermore there are four markers on part 26 which indicate that part 50 should be glued down just above part 26. And finally front and back are not indicated
    · part 50 should be glued down before 48 and 49

Parts 54-56 (cable reels) (12 Parts)
    · all markers on deck/on gun 43 should be changed from slits to 4 dots
    · 54 was fixed earlier
    · neither the instructions nor the diagrams show where reel 55 is to be positioned. A marker on the deck suggests, that it goes below the lifeboat platform for the 28 lifeboat.

Part 57 (sounding machine) (3 Parts)
    · neither instructions nor diagrams show how this part should look like

Part 58 (capstan) (5 Parts)
    · the part appears somewhat top heavy
    · anchor chains are erroneously labelled 66 in the instructions

Part 59 (bitts) (3 Parts)

Part 60 (fairleads) (8 Parts)

Part 61 (bollards) (30 Parts)

Part 62 (anchors) (4 Parts)

Part 63 (anchor chains) (4 Parts)
    · it is nowhere shown how these are fixed

Parts 64-66 (ladders) (9 + 9 = 18 Parts)
    · parts 64 have been fixed earlier
    · parts 65 have no a and b printed on the sheet

Improvements/Changes
    · I found it easier to cut the parts 65/66 a and b into two instead of scoring and folding them
    · I shortened 65 for two steps of the ladder. The angel just looked funny at the original length.
    · parts 65 and 66 can be given hand-bent railings, which are made from standard railings cut to size and bent accordingly

Part 67 (ladders)
    · have been fixed already

Parts 68-70 (derricks) (7 Parts)
    Improvements/Changes
    · 70 can be cut out 2-3mm longer at the bottom. Bore small holes into the deck where 70 will be fixed. The extra space serves as a gluing tab.

Part 71 (28´ lifeboat) (4 + 3 = 7 Parts)
    · the boat has no rudder (which is mentioned resp. shown in the instructions and in diagrams C and E)
    Numbers
    · in the instructions the oars are labelled e, on the sheet d

Part 72 (16´ dinghy) (5 + 3 = 8 Parts)
    · the boat has no rudder (which is mentioned resp. shown in the instructions and in diagrams C and E)

Part 73 (carley floats) (4 Parts)

Parts 74-80 (masts, steaming lights, ship´s bell) (14 + 6 = 20 Parts)
    Improvements/Changes
    · to ensure more stability bore holes where the bases of the masts are to be glued. When cutting out masts cut out longer at the bottom (measure how long, mast should reach the deck or base below). The masts then can be glued into the deck.
    · stabilize with metal rods inside
    · I found it easier to cut off bottom and top from steaming lights 79 the roll the body and finally glue bottom and top to the body

Parts 81-82 (steaming lights) (6 Parts)
    · the diagrams do not show very well how these are to be fixed. The photograph at papershipwright.co.uk was most helpful

Part 83 (maxim guns) (2x6 -2 = 10 Parts)
    Improvements/Changes
    · the barrel can be made from rolled up paper, a thin wire can be used as muzzle. Parts e can be left off.
    · I had to cut a gap in the railing to make the MG fit
    Kipling wrote about the use of these when fighting in the colonies:
    Whatever happens, we have got
    the Maxim guns - and they have not.

Parts 84-87 (flag-poles and flags) (8 Parts)
    · the paper of the flags can be split to make them thinner

Parts 88-90 (railings) (18 Parts)
    88 = 8T
    89 = 3T
    90 = 7T

Numbers
    · in Diagram E part 88d is erroneously labelled 88e
    · on sheet 3 part 90f is erroneously labelled 90g

Part 91 (life-belts) (6 Parts)

Rigging (10 Parts)

Und einige Bilder. Das Carley-Floß an Backbord ist ziemlich missraten, ich hätte es besser weggelassen.
    Sehr gut gefallen hat mir die Detaillierung des schweren Geschützturms

• Hallo Zaphot.

Ich finde diese Schiffe haben irgend etwas. Sie sind nicht schön, aber sehr interessant. Auch das mit dem Panorama ist eine schöne Lösung.

Fritz

Es geht noch größer!!! Ich liebe 1:50!!!
    USS INDIANAPOLIS; Vorbereitungen für die erste große Ausstellung
    Ab ???? wird die Indi mit in der Ausstellung in Flensburg sein!