Basilica of Paray-Le-Monial / L´Instant Durable / 1:250 [Fertig]

• This lovely little model has two interesting pieces of factual information I must share at the outset. Its construction, in 1090, along with the construction of the larger Cluny III was overseen by Hugues de Semur. Unfortunately he died in 1109 and along with him the original intent of the church's design. It was short two bays. Curiously, a small structure was built to joint the existing nave to the tower narthex. Why they did not continue and finish the nave, I do not know.

Secondly, this added 'join' between the existing nave and the two west towers was out of line. It's asymmetrical. I couldn't find an explanation for this anomoly.

In this photo you can see that the joining addition is off center...

Dieses liebenswerte kleine Modell hat zwei interessante kleine Geschichten zu erzählen, die ich euch nicht vorenthalten möchte. Ihr Bau, im Jahre 1090, wurde zusammen der größeren Cluny III von Hugues de Semur überwacht. Leider verstarb dieser im Jahre 1109 und mit ihm das ursprüngliche Vorhaben mit diesem Kirchenentwurf. Es fehlen zwei Erker.
    Seltsamerweise wurde eine kleine Struktur errichtet, um das vorhandene Kirchenschiff mit der Turmhalle zu verbinden. Warum sie aber nicht weitergebaut und das Kirchenschiff vollendet haben, weiß ich nicht.

Zweitens ist diese "Verbindung" zwischen dem vorhandenem Schiff und den zwei westlichen Türmen nicht mittig. Sie ist asymmetrisch. Ich habe für diese Anomalie keine Erklärung gefunden.

Auf dem Bild könnt ihr sehen, daß die Verbindung aus der Mitte ist...

• At the very beginning of this build, I was impressed with the method of forming the arches in the two towers of the narthex. Rather than cut out the arch completely and glue a piece up, around and down the other side of the opeining, you separate what looks like two barn doors by cutting them down the middle and crease them back 90 degrees. Then the arch is installed above these arch walls.

In this photo you will see the arches from another part of the model using the same principle. The arch tops are near the parts.

It has been suggested in other builds, that it is not necessary to cut triangular tabs if the arch is to have a convex curve. The tabs will fan out like spreading toes. Only slits are necessary. It is when the arch curves inward or in a concave manner, that the tabs are triangular to prevent binding with each other.

Am Anfang dieses Baus war ich von der Methode begeistert wie die Bögen an den zwei Türmen geformt werden. Anstatt den Bogen komplett auszuschneiden und am Stück an der Öffnung aufzukleben, schneidet man zwei Teile in der Mitte auseinander, die wie Türen aussehen. Diese werden dann 90 Grad nach hinten geknickt. Der Bogen selbst wird dann darüber geklebt.

Auf dem Bild sieht man diese Bögen an einer anderen Stelle des Modells, die nach dem selben Prinzip gebaut werden. Die oberen Bogenteile sind direkt neben den Teilen.

Bei anderen Bauten ist vorgeschlagen worden, daß es nicht notwendig ist, dreieckige Laschen für konkave Teile zu verwenden. Die Laschen breiten sich beim Runden sowieso aus wie Zehen. Es sind also nur Schlitze notwendig. Nur bei konvexen Teilen werden dreieckige Laschen verwendet, um zu verhindern, daß diese Zusammenkleben.

• Hello Herbert, Peter and Thomas,

Thanks you for the kind observations gentlemen.

I think this little gem will be fun to build. It has charm.

Cheers...John

• A very recognizable feature of churches are their pilasters. To prevent water from entering the masonry, angled caps of stone are cut and placed on their tops. If the pilaster is very tall, several caps are used where the masonry 'steps back' as it rises up the wall. (I do not know if these caps have an architectural name.)

On card models, the caps are often designed to be cut the same width as the pilaster. When they are folded down, they are the same width as the side walls of the pilaster. The caps barely cover the angled pilaster side walls.

But on this model, a conscious effort was made to make the caps wider that the pilaster. When folded down, they look much more realistic. They should extend beyond the pilaster at the front and the sides.

A nice attention to detail here...

Ein besonderes Merkmal von Kirchen sind ihre Säulen. Um zu verhindern, daß Wasser in das Mauerwerk eindringt, sind schräge Steindächer oben aufgesetzt. Wenn die Säulen sehr groß sind, werden mehrere Dächer verwendet, an den Stellen wo die Säule eine zurückspringend Stufe hat. ( Ich weiß nicht ob diese Dächer einen architektonischen Namen haben.)
    Bei Kartonmodellen sind diese Dächer häufig so entworfen, daß sie dieselbe Breite wie dei Säule haben. Wenn sie gefaltet werden, haben sie dieselbe Breite wie die seitlichen Mauern.
    Aber bei diesem Modell hat man sich Mühe gegeben, diese Dächer breiter als die Säulen zu machen. Sie sehen sehr viel realistischer aus. Sie sollten vorne und hinten über die Säule hinausstehen.
    Sehr viel Liebe zum Detail hier...

Edited 2 times, last by John ().

• In the photo above, you will see a long rectangle intended to be cut out in the base where the transepts will go. Usually, I don't cut these access holes out. Instead I use templates to hold the tabs while they are being glued.

In this model however, the parts are put together in modular fashion - each section is built and then added to the previous one. In the photo below you see a template in use behind the nave/aisle walls and roof. I thought it would hold fast while the next section - the transepts were pressed and glued against it. Didn't work. I had to get in behind the transept walls to line up and glue the walls tightly together with the tabs seen here.

In light of this, I would recomment that a model NOT be glued to a base, until all the base parts are in place. Learned something here...

Im oberen Photo kann man ein kleines Dreieck auf der Grundplatte erkennen, das ausgeschnitten werden soll. Normalerweise schneide ich diese Zugriffslöcher gar nicht aus. Stattdessen verwende ich Schablonen um die Klebelaschen festzuhalten.

Bei diesem Modell jedoch werden die Teile modular zusammengesetzt - jede Sektion wird fertiggebaut und an die vorherige gefügt. Im unteren Bild sieht man die Schablone, die ich hinter dem Hauptschiff verwendet habe. Ich dachte mir, daß sie alles stabilisiert während die nächste Sektion dagegengedrückt und verklebt wird. Hat nicht nicht funktioniert. Ich musste hineingreifen, um hinter die Wände zu kommen und die Wände mit den Klebelaschen festzudrücken.

Im Nachhinein würde ich empfehlen, ein Modell solange nicht auf der Grundplatte zu verkleben, bis alle Teile an ihrer Stelle sind. Wieder was gelernt...

[Blocked Image: http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/3620/tabs8js.jpg]

Edited 3 times, last by John ().

• You learn a lot about old churches as well, following this thread. Nice, John.

L.

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• fantastic work - as usual!!!!!

i think your next model should be the big sister - cluny!

i love these french churches - most of all the classic gothic cathedrals.

greets
    waltair

die Zukunft geschieht, egal was man tut

• Thanks Leif. I agree with you. This little model would be the one to use in the classroom. It has all the classic elements so nicely and clearly arranged from west to east. A little gem. I can see having a few models on hand - one complete and the other one in its elements for teaching about the parts. Leif, I know you are deep into little people now, but have you tried your hand at one of the published castle or cathedral models?

Waltair, the architectural details of the gothic structures of Europe interest me as well. Actually, this little basilica is Romanesque. The side chapel must have been added later.

You are right. I'll have to have a go at ClunyIII. I want to first complete the set of three grand ladies of France with the construction of Chartres. Then there is that little Czech church... and then... and then...

Cluny III's in there somewhere.

Cheers...John

• Surrounding the apse is the ambulatory, a walkway allowing pilgrims and visitors to walk around and behind the apse to visit the little chapels attached to the outer walls.

Die Apsis ist vom Chorgang umgeben, ein Weg, der es Pilgern und Besuchern erlaubt um und hinter die Apsis zu gelangen und die kleinen Kapellen an den Aussenseiten zu besuchen.

[Blocked Image: http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/4207/theambulatory6rg.jpg]

• John, this is a very quick build! The church is a 'small Cluny' but a classic case of 'small is beautiful' :)
    You have definitely put this model on my whish list...
    Regarding Cluny, I built it some time ago. A construction report is available here:

http://modelismo-na.net/viewtopic.php?t=1572

The graphics look better in this model and that's not only because your pictures have outstanding quality ;)

• The different graphics of the model Cluny III are intended! Those parts of the once large church that survive today are in a similar graphic mode as with Paray-le-Monial 8o, those parts that were demolished after the French Revolution :(, and are reconstructions in this model, are of a simpler and stylized graphic mode 8). That's the reason why... ;)
    Be careful to enlarge the original set to the 1/250 scale if you want to have a real comparison :D!
    Kind regards. -
    Papercaptain

Ich schnipsel mit Schere, ich klebe und falz';
    das is zwar nur Schimäre, doch mich unterhalt's! :P(frei nach Johann Nestroy)

• Here's a tip that really works for me. Forgive me for repeating this idea, but I think it really promotes clean angles in architectural builds.

I like to glue a light piece of card (template) behind the tabs of small parts if corner angles are involved. You can get the corner angles dead on and you can hold the profile of the part if there are jogs or other angles in the wall configuration.

Here is an example. This little chapel will be glued down on the baseplate of the model and against the wall of the ambulatory. This template holds all three walls and tabs firmly in place...

Hier ist ein Tipp, der gut funktioniert hat. Entshculdigt, wenn ich mich hier wiederhole, aber ich denke so bekommt man gut saubere Winkel an architektonischen Modellen hin.

Ich bevorzuge es, eine kleines Stück Karton (Schablone) hinter die Klebelaschen kleinerer Teile zu kleben. So bekommt man die Ecken direkt sauber hin und das Teil behält seine Form, auch wenn Einschnitte und Ecken vorhanden sind.

Hier ist ein Beispiel. Diese kleine Kapelle wird auf die Grundplatte und an die Mauer des Chorgangs geklebt. Die Schablone hält alle Klebelaschen und Wände sicher fest...

• For me, the real advantage of this system is that the part can now be manipulated as a single unit. It can be held between thumb and forefinger and applied. There is no fussing with tabs.

This method is not used ALL the time. But if there is a time when your concentration should be on proper alignment of the part, and not the tabs, this tip might come in handy.

Für mich besteht der wahre Vorteil darin, daß ich das Teil als komplette Einheit handhaben kann. Man kann es zum Anbringen mit Daumen und Zeigefinger festhalten und braucht sich nicht mit Klebelaschen rumärgern.

Diese Methode wird nicht IMMER verwendet. Aber wenn man sich mal auf die korrekte Ausrichtung des Bauteils und nicht die Klebelaschen konzentrieren muss, kann sie ganz praktisch sein.

John

• That is a really good tip, not onlly for architectural models, and you did well to repeat it. I've GOT to remember this! - L.

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.