3D Karton / Mátyás-templom / 1:200 [FERTIG]

• In December, 2007, Stephan Hintze introduced a new Hungarian publisher - 3D Karton and their first card model, the Matthias Church.

Model: Matthias Church
    Publisher: 3D Karton
    Number of Sheets: 8
    Number of Parts: Undetermined
    Dimensions: 29 cm x 18 cm

I believe the model is computer generated using photo images of the facades. The effect is dramatic.

• Hello John,

How energetic you are!!!
    You bring out new project wave after wave and impress us with them yet writing detailed explanation.

I must bare my head :respekt:

• Hello Yu,

Thank you. However, you must realize that models are rolling off your assembly line as well. Let me see, there's the Ki-84 Hayate/Halinski, the curtiss BF2C -1 Hawk/answer, and now the P-47d-25 thunderbolt/halinski. Not to mention rolling down the rails the Nr17/07 Orenstein & Koppel Cn21.

Hmmm.... I think we have been bitten by the same card modelling bug.

Yu, I still am waiting for that first architectural model. No pressure. Just kidding. But man, it would be something to see...

Cheers...John

• Some pilasters will be very narrow. It might be difficult to fold up a three-sided pilaster and two long vertical tabs to finish with a clean, crisp three millimetre part.

So I have decided to cut the tabs off and wrap the pilaster skin around a filler strip. I recall Ricardo laminating up card for this purpose. I may do the same or take a trip to the hobby store to obtain some wooden strips from 3/32" to 3/16" square.

I have no conscience.

P.S. I am beginning to wonder if the facades are indeed photo rendered. Could they be original artwork? If they are, they are masterpieces.

• I was kidding when I said I have no conscience about using wood on my card models. There are purists who would shudder at the thought. However, the name of the game is to create a model as true to card as possible and make appropriate concessions where necessary.

For me, the little basswood strips make a logical choice of core for very small three sided pilasters. Anything larger and there is no reason to not template the open side with card as I have mentioned above.

Here are shots showing the strips in use. Thin card is used to shim up the core to the necessary size. In the left photo, you can see two shim strips, two pilaster skins without their side tabs and a strip of basswood with two card strips laminated on each side. Note that the top of the pilaster is left intact with all its tabs.

• Yes Ricardo. I recall you expressing interest in this model when Stephan posted it in "Freshly Unpacked".
    The church has an interesting footprint. The configuration and shape of the west towers is quite different. I think that is what drew us both to it. Apparently the church was founded in 1015 and underwent many reconstructions.

This publisher employes photographs to provide instruction. Here is a photo of part 1 - the first three floors of the tower.

• John, you are off to the races...a great start. The photo/artwork is very effective.

regards

best regards
    mit herzlichen grussen

Fred

In Build:
    Panzerkreuzer Infanta Maria Teresa

• Hi John,

Your build became consummate skill. Seeing your built, I can't stop starting mine.
    I expect present aircraft build will finish this weekend then I'm going to start my first architecture build.

regards,

• Hi Fred,
    Thanks. Yes, off to the races. Complicated constructions right out of the starting blocks. Good.

Yu, I eagerly await your first architectural build.

We now move up to the upper reaches of the tower. There is quite a bit going on here! The gallery details remind me of Betexa's St. Vitus Cathedral model. Things are a little more intricate here. There is a lot of tracery cutting involved and some very thin porch columns.

To reinforce the corner posts circling the lower spire, I plan to use hardened steel rods 25 thousands of an inch in diameter. I wanted something very straight its entire length, so I avoided soft wire. It was the only thing I could think of that was thin enough to be strong, yet not visible. (almost) The wires will be fastened with a rubber based glue. This glue did not affect the thin paper and the excess can be gently rubbed away after the wires are in place. Gouache paint will colour the wire.

The parts...

• Hi Norm,
    Good information Norm. I suspected this. There is no way original artwork could product such high stone details. You're probably right with fudging some details with seamless integration. A simple shot of a patch of wall could become wallpaper for a number of parts.

About the rod. I bought it at my local hobby store. They sell it in 3' lengths. It is available in many diameters. Look for a series of cardboard round tubes about 1" ID at your hobby store. They store the rods that way. The rod or wire is tempered and very hard. You can't cut it with a pair of cutting pliers. I used a fiber cut-off disk in my rotary tool. The definite advantage of the rod is that it is dead straight. It's almost impossible to get soft spool wire to be true over distance.

John

• Hi Stephan,
    This model means a great deal to me as it was personally sent from Hungary by you! The birdhouse has found a proper home in your daughter's bedroom. Thanks for the good wishes.

The gallery construction went quite well. The rods definitely stabilized the assembly.

This is the first time I've had the opportunity to model into a cathedral, the gargoyles. There are sixteen of them on the tower. I accentuated the hooked beaks on the smaller upper ones. I wanted them to be staring menacingly downward. There are some marvellous pictures of gargoyles on the web. A google search will quickly find them.

• I must also thank you Stephan for the wonderful link to the church. This adds much to the build.

We are nearing completion of the tower. The spire will not be mounted at this time. Experience is a good teacher here. I guess when you move to other areas of the build, your focus and concentration leaves the completed work. Then one day you feel a snag and think, "Oh ....."

• Hello Hagen,
    Yes, this build is quite interesting. We're pretty sure that the artwork is photo generated computer work.

Tower construction stops now. Time to climb down and start the west wall and portal. Before leaving the tower, there is an interesting historical fact to share.

Only three bells in the tower survived the many reconstructions to the church. The largest one weights 3.2 tons. It is heard each day at noon.

• Hi John...
    Also wenn mein Englisch so gut wie Deine begnadete Baukunst wäre, gäb's gar keine Probleme!
    So bleibt mir nur, auf die Smilies zurückzugreifen. :meister: =D> :super: :yahoo: @)
    Einfach suuper !
    Renee

Im Wald boten sich mir zwei Wege dar.

Ich nahm den, der weniger betreten war!

• Most parts of the two dissimilar towers and the main portal to the church have been assembled.

Edit: Notice the precarious angle of the little pinnacle tower in the second shot. I mentioned trying to avoid snagging a vulnerable part earlier in the thread. This little part will be easy to right. Damaging a top spire would be another matter.

I think they call it delaying your gratification. Neat little crosses, spires, finials and pinnacles that make such a difference to the appearance of a church or cathedral will just have to wait to be placed until all the main construction work has been finished.

• John, you have already put this model much higher on my wish list :)
    It looks really good and, hopefully, will be followed by others from the same publisher. Hungary has a wealthy lot of interesting subjects to choose from!...

• Good Morning Ricardo.

Yes, this publisher has a nice approach to the models. There are different conventions being used and they seem to be working well. For example, unprinted footprints are not employed. There is just a number on a printed part where something will sit... not a patch of white with an outline and the number printed in the middle of the patch. This way, you have leeway to place the part without any hint that you may have missed the mark a bit. (Something we never do... right!) However, I could see this a bit disconcerting to those who need that guidance. You have to think ahead to the next parts before you glue.

Hi ToKro,

You ask a very good question. There is no way I could have built the number of models I have without some means of protecting them. Light, dust and damage would eventually claim them all. Some are large. Ricardo built a beautiful glass partition wall with glass doors, shelves and drawers. For me, cardboard storage boxes answer the need. I can also transport them safely.

Here is the link on this Forum to the article where I describe in detail, their construction:

Model Storage Box/Display Base

• Sometimes, it pays to think ahead. Another step to execute before joining the nave to the west towers and portal will be the placement of the outer walls of the north and south nave. It will be easy at this point to reach up under the model and press the tabs up to the nave hip roofs.

• Three naves in a church is unusual for me. Most Western European cathedrals I have made, have one nave flanked on each side by lower aisles. Matthias Church has an aisle on only one side. I would think the north side of the church could be quite dark.

The wall of the south nave is seen on the left with the traditional gothic windows. The photo on the right is the wall of the north nave - only three round windows.

• Hi John,

this is a beautifully printed model and the build is the same.

Greetings

Hans Gerd

• Happy birthday, John! The church looks great. Parto of the challenge in paper modeling is to work out the best build sequence, preferably by thinking ahead.

regards

best regards
    mit herzlichen grussen

Fred

In Build:
    Panzerkreuzer Infanta Maria Teresa

• Hello teacher,

How students address teacher in Western world?
    In Japan we address "teacher" or "teacher plus sir name".

After I had started my first architecture build, I found out it is different from aircraft and ship model.
    Perhaps I overlook tips and hits you mentioned.
    Now I am enjoying my build thanks to you, teacher.

• There is definitely a Roman influence here on this Gothic structure.

I must say that the photo rendering really comes into its own when you look at the right side of the walls in these photos near the corner. The gradual transition of colouring from light to dark realistically shows the ravages of time, weather and pollution. Some portions of the wall are nearing black.

I recall a friend who visited Cologne Cathedral and was so disappointed with how dirty and black the exterior appeared. I guess that is why one would see scaffolding all over Europe. There must be a lot of money to be made (if the governments can afford it) in exterior building restoration.

As an aside, that friend also mentioned seeing dirty banners and flags hanging in tatters high up in the upper reaches of the nave. It must cost millions to maintain the older cathedrals and churches all over Europe. A never ending task I would think.

• Hi John,

After started my own architecture build I knew great difference between yours and mine. humm.... I must make at least another 30 buildings to get close to your build...

When I visited Ulm Minster about two years ago I knew it was corroded by acid rain and beside there craftspeople were making replica of damaged ornaments. It looked time consuming and consequently costly.

Greetings,

• You are right Yu. Restoration is a labour of love for a select few qualified craftsmen.

This morning I got a bit lazy and tried to glue up the chapel without taking time to do the prep work. A mistake. I tore the work apart and started again using a method that works well for me. I would like to share it here.

When a building has an ornamental balustraded parapet at the top of the wall, placing a roof down into it can be tricky. The top edge of the wall is usually bent over onto itself. (Photo 1) this creates a lower edge. In towers with a flat roof, the flat roof can be brought up from the bottom of the tower and made to come to rest against this edge. But in the case of an angled roof with tabs,(Photo 2) the roof can slide past this edge. The roof could be dropped down from the top,(Photo 3) but will have to slide past the edge for the tabs and come to rest at the edge. If the building is glued up and closed, you can't really see down into the parapet to determine where the roof edge really is. You may push too far.

A solution would be to wrap the walls of the building around the roof so that you could see what you are doing as you glue around the roof. (Photo 4) But then the building may not close properly when you come to the last corner to close the structure. The roof may have stretched the walls as you worked your way around, and you are left with a gap at the closing corner.

• For me, the answer is to build a shelf around the lower edge of the parapet so that the roof will slide down from the top of the wall and come to rest on the shelf. The shelf is made from card. Its height can be easily determined. (Photo 5) The card used to create this shelf will also ensure the wall will be flat and that roof will be horizontal and parallel to the ground. (Photo 6)

The pieces that make up the shelf are glued to the inside of the walls. (Photo 7) The the roof is lowered into position from the top until it comes to rest on the shelf. (Photo 8) The tabs need not be cut off. They actually help strengthen the edge of the roof. They will just fold themselves flat against the shelf.

Works for me.

Edit: The number eight turned into a smilie?