1/250 carrier based aircraft

• I am planning to build FLY Model SARATOGA CVA60 some day. As included aircraft of the kit is not satisfactory and aircraft is an important part of aircraft carrier, bought 1/50 F/A 18 from P-MODEL and down scaled it to 1/250.
    Also bought A6E Intruder, A4 Skyhawk, A7 Corsair II.
    For test, build F/A18 first.
    This time I made mold for canopy from scrap balsa wood by just filing it. As surface of the mold is not smooth, clear canopy surface turned out to be lumpy. Wheh I make it in earnest I must make mold from gypsum so that we can get smooth surface.

Helicopters are included in HMV Ticonderoga kit. Its design is very nice.

I am looking for other carrier baseds aircraft at 1/50 scale.

• Dear Yu,

once again I am surprise what you are doing: A model from P-Model in 1:250! Some of them are not even easy to build in 1:50.

By the why, Fly models should be in 1:200 rather than 1:250? Will you down-scale the model to 1:250 to match better with your other ships?

With best regards,

Matthias

Original von MHBS
    By the why, Fly models should be in 1:200 rather than 1:250? Will you down-scale the model to 1:250 to match better with your other ships?
    Matthias

At 1/200 over all length of Saratoga will be more than 1.3meters. On the other hand, at 1/250 it will be around 1m. This size difference is significant for me. Ideally, 1/400 scale is preferable though...

This modelling is more enjoyable than I expected. I'm hooked.
    Started A4C Sky Hawk build because this kit consists of relatively small number of parts. Total less than 100.
    As this is test build I skipped to make clear canopy though made only canopy frame.
    I need more practice....

• simply amazing...

luckily I always place a pillow on the floor in front of me before I open any of your threads - so, the damage to my jaw is minimal when it drops... ;)

regards,
    Michael

• Once again great model, Yu!

Since your work is perfect, one can see also in this very small scale that the design of the A4 is better than the F-18.

Will you make the A-6E Intruder next? P-Model has one and Kancho has one as well.

Looking forward to see more of your work,

Matthias

• @sennaend-san
    Did you change your mind to make small airplanes? :D

@Matthias-san
    Yes, next one is AE6 then A7. The last one during this trip will be F14

I arrived Hanoi tonight.
    What I did first after arriving hotel room was to take out tools and printed paper from traveling bag.
    For the first time since I started paper model building I bring tools with me.
    When duration of business trip is longer model building would be good as break on a trip

• Thanks Yu-San!

The A6 and A7 look good. The F-14 is unfortunately an early design that leaves much room for improvement.

Is there any news when P-model will come out with some new models or up-dates?

With best regards,

Matthias

• @sennaend-san
    Did you buy Zuikaku?
    You must be completely addicted to paper modeling
    If you promise you don't make better model than mine I will tell you how to cut canopy.. ah, you have already made excelent one.
    I don't want to tell you (today something must be wrong with my PC. I can't put smily here.(^0^), (^0^) smile, smile

@Matthias-san
    Yes, F-18 and F-14 are.......
    P Model don't announce new product before release.

@Ricardo-san
    To receive such a compliment from you is my great honor like shaking hand with 007 (^0^)

I made mistake
    I should have reversed parts around nose so that black lines doesn't show up

• Yu,
    when I see what you are doing here, I'm really tented to stop card-modelling. I'm unable to do the same thing in 1/33. That's a real good job. Congratulatons.
    Andreas

• Dear Yu,

you solved my problems with limited room in my vitrines !!

But, all jokes beside, your work is outstanding................ I´m waiting for the carrier........

best Frank

Im Bau / under construction:

StuG III, 1/25, GPM

zurückgestellt bis zum Renteneintritt
    --- KRAZ 255 B 6x6, 1:25 ---

und vergesst nicht, es ist nur ein Papiermodell........

• Now, these ars some really nice little beauties =D> .
    Maybe a hint for making clear canopies - when i builded my Junkers 88 in 1:200, i used this thin foil, thats around cigarette packs. It worked perfect.

• Thanks guys

I made failures
    One of big mistake is that I didnt chamfer the backside edges of paper.
    For 1/33 model, 0.1mm thick paper edge doesnt standout but for these small scale model, even 0.1mm has significant meaning. At the trailing edge of wing when glue upper and lower skins thickness becomes 0.2mm and it standouts. 0.2mm times 250 equals 50mm!
    On the fuselage around rear of cockpit, I should have chamfered the edges so that it wouldnt have turned out to be like armor. After realized it chamfered edges of wings.

I forgot to post how I made canopy
    For helicopters, I used thin film. Cut it into 4 pieces and glue it.
    For F-18 First make mold from balsa wood. As this is a test build I didnt care about smoothness of surface. But, preferably hard wood will be fine because we can make surface smooth so that canopy doesnt get lumpy surface.
    Other way is to make mold from wood first then put clay on it. Finally pour mixed gypsum with water into the clay mold. After filing gypsum surface we can get firm and smooth surface.
    Actually I hold polyvinyl chloride sheet with mold with both hands as depicted in the pic. I tried to depict it but with pencil in right hand I couldnt make shape of right hand holding the mold so that I can sketch seeing it.
    Holding the mold and polyvinyl chloride sheet tightly put it on the stove. It is necessary to put gloves on hands. In a couple of seconds the sheet deforms easily. Or apply heat with hair dryer. Then cut it along the drawn line on the mold.

@sennaend-san
    Knack of cutting canopy frame is that dont pull cutter blade but press it downward so that you can avoid tearing off thin strip of paper. It is not difficult.

Original von sennaend
    Anyway I think that the cockpit of P-model is not reproduced, but is there any plan?

thank you,sennaend(cyan?)

Are you asking inside of cockpit?
    If so, I'm going to make it later referring to real plane's picture or 1/72 plastic model kit, etc. Of course not complicated one. At this scale even simplified cockpit parts would be fine.

• By the way, Yu-San:

The download model of the A6 from Kancho comes with cockpit...

Just in case you have a need.

Looking forward to see more of your nice work,

Matthias

Original von MHBS
    By the way, Yu-San:

The download model of the A6 from Kancho comes with cockpit...

Just in case you have a need.

Thanks Matthias-san. I'll buy it.
    BTW, while reading a book "Shogun" I found out phrase "How are you" in Japanaese. In the book it is written "Ikaga desuka" and the answer "Very well, thank you" is "Okagesama de genki desu"

Last week I was reading a book and did not make paper model. Sunday I made a little progress.
    Made landing gear and missile and changed wing position to parking configulation.

• Hi Yu-San,

are you reading James Clavell's book "Shogun"? I red it a very long time ago when I never thought about living in Japan.

When I finally did come to Japan, I asked many Japanese about the book, but with hardly any exception they did not know about it. Few had seen the TV program, but told me that this is not how Japan was...

Good luck with your models,

Matthias

• @sennaend-san

"honto" yes. This is 1/250 but compared to 1/400 Japanese float plane this modern American jet plane is approx. 2.5 times bigger.

@Matthias-san

Yes, I am reading James Clavell's "Shogun".
    This was made into a movie 29 years ago.
    Leading actor was Ritchard Chamberlain(I am not sure the spell is correct) and actress was Shimada Yoko.
    The promotion of this movie was spectacular. I remember the replica of the sailing ship came to Yokohama and I saw the leading actor and actress there.
    Regardless of story was true Japan or not it fun to read it seeing Japan through foreigners eyes.
    If you do not mind, may I ask how long have you been in Japan?

I started A7 Corsair II build.
    For sennaend-san, I post 1/400 plane's picture too.

• Thanks Yu-San!

Liked the book and the movie very much, which I had seen on TV. All very long time ago. By now I am in Japan for some 10 years. Time truely flies...

Looking forward to seeing more of your very nice modeling.

With best regards,

Matthias

• Yu-San,

I'am totally spechless.

I have built the 1/250 Airacobra and I still feel the shudder from assembly of the model.

Congratulations, but the scale is not really a limit for your workmanship.

My very best regards
    René

....es ist 5 vor 33

Demokratie ist alternativlos!

"sei a Mensch"

• @Matthias-san,

The reason why I am interested in the book "Shogun" is that I think of my father who came to Japan and settled. Anjin-san reminds me of my father.....

@Rene-san,

Thank you for your kind comment.
    But, when imagine to make 40 to 50 of these planes on deck.... It makes me dizzy.

Being alone in a hotel room in the night, killing time are model making and reading....

Hummm. so-so.

• Yu,

may I ask, what "san" in connection with names means? I remember this expression from the TV-version of Shoogun which I liked very much (although I usually don't like Richard Chamberlain). I remember that one of his servants committed suicide after he had disposed of a bird which Chamberlain wanted to eat but which ths servant thought was foul. There clearly are a lot of interesting local customs to be found in Japan! As to your planes: are you a watchmaker by profession or something like that? Those planes remind me of tiny little clockworks, rather unconsiderable at first, but the more striking when you take a closer look! Great work!

Simon

Wiedereinstieg in den Kartonbau nach vielen Jahren ...

• Thank you Yu-San!

Shogun and Gaijin are nice books to read. Since I am already so long in Japan, may be this will also become my last destination...

Simon:

You add "San" to the name to address a person in a polite way. There are other words you can use as well as already mentioned in some of our threads like for instance:

"sama" if your are extremely polite,

"kun" often used among men,

"chan" often used for children,

or "sensai" if you build paper models as perfect as Yu-San and Sennaend-San do.

Best,

Matthias

• "Goon Show"? I must ask Matthias-sensai about Japanese language.
    Ah, by any chance, is it a famous show that I watch frequently at Kartonbau.de after taking shower?
    I didn't know that show is called Goon Show in Japanese.
    And to my great pleasure the presenter show up in my thread. :0P:

Norm-san, mata ne (bye-bye see ya)
    Take care

@Simon-san
    I am a travelling sales man travelling around SE Asia.
    In Japanese we say "Marume komu" it has two meanings.
    One is to round up paper and the other is to convince someone to do something.
    In the day time I round up people and night time round up paper.
    Anyway thank you for your kind comment.

@Matthias-sensai,
    Thank you for detailed explanation about attaching title to Japanese name.

Domo (thank you)

• Dear Yu-San,

do not know about "Goon Show"? Do you refer to "Shoogun" in Simon's mail?

I think we are all talking about the same film with Richard Chamberlain, which had been on German TV every long time ago... (I am out of there for more than 15 years...).

Best,

Matthias

• I thought "Goon Show" is Norm's joke. I mean "Air-Goon Show" :D

• Yu-san

I looked at the Japanese homepage of fujifum-san.
    Many papermodel-technologys of fujifum-san and yu-san were written in "TERAKOYA" of it.

I took a big impression in it. @)

Please tell fujifum-san about big thanks. :D :D :D
    and Thank you yu-san.

sennaend