1:200 gpm admiral graf spee

• Hallo fellow Card Modellers

Here are some pictures of my version of the GPM kit of the Admiral Graf Spee on which I have been working for the last 18 months - progress has been quite slow as you can see!

As with my previous model of the Bismarck, much needs to be done to improve the accuracy of the kit as related to photos of the original but unfortunately, some things can't be done - the stern for example should be round, not pointed; however, one thing that I think is really important which I did make some improvement on is that where the hull sides meet the deck there should be quite a noticeable curve and this I did by adding an extra thickness of card below the deck and carefully rounding the deck edge before adding the hull sides.

Also adding character to the model are the various structures supporting the platform around the funnel - these seem to have been quite large and complex and the simple triangular brackets in the kit just don't look right, so I've modified and added bits in this area.

I also noticed that part of the superstructure to either side and below the tower is missing from the kit and I've therefore added these parts in card printed to the correct colour on the computer.

I hope this is of interest - there don't seem to be many models of this handsome ship either on this site or available as kits, nor are the available plans very accurate.

Chris Palmer

• Hi Chris, I am very impressed with your build of this kit. Funny, I just had my copy out tonight looking at, I also have a CFM copy 1:250 as well. I was quite interested in your additions/mods. The ship looks just outstanding. Could you maybe detail a little more about w/diagrams what you corrected. I have found that a few corrections help to bring these kits to life, even though we know this version from GPM is not 100% correct. But this kit can be built to a very high degree if one takes the steps such as you are doing to enhance. I look forward to more of your postings of this build. :usenglish:Rick

• Hi Guys and thanks for the comments - in answer to your request, Ricky, here are the main points:-

hull - pointed stern should be rounded, armour belt needs to join hull differently at both ends (haven't been able to figure out how!), hawse holes should be further back from stem, curve at deck to hull sides (I could only deal with the last mentioned out of this list)

torpedo tube housings need rounding off, not bent, where sides meet top and top slopes down; I think it's part 131 in the GPM kit should be a slope backed rectangular duct with a liferaft on the back, not a circular tube as per the kit and the superstructure between main and quarterdeck should be light grey and with windows slightly bigger and in different positions

superstructure - add shelters at deck level below tower, tower profile has slope to underside of bridge overhangs, wire reels need proper detail (my replacements aren't too good, I should have drawn the parts on the computer), rangefinders need more detail and aren't quite as per original (photos on internet are useful, especially salvaged items and US Military Archive photos of wreck), cowl ventilators either side of funnel aren't in kit (mine are from cherry stick plus card tops), brackets to underside of funnel platform need extensive reworking and additional items, landing sail beam on port side should be omitted (not on photos of ship in camouflaged colour scheme, I believe it was dumped overboard on last voyage), add missing paravanes at either side of forward superstructure, altered and additional detail inside forward open bridge, masts need modifying, tower rangefinder mesh mattress too large - I had to carefully cut and rejoin the brass etched kit component for this to get the dimensions right.

I think that's about it and I hope it's of some use - I am attaching some more photos which might explain some items in better detail.

All the best

Chris

• Good afternoon, Chris!

Very cleanly built and nicely refined model - my compliments!
    Just a tiny flaw (if it may be called one): On the pictures 007 and 011 there's a W in a white spot, just beside the Rangefinders. Normally that means "wyciac" = "cut out" in polish. You're supposed to put the cranes through this deck later on. But if you're ignoring this, perhaps you're going to come up with another solution for the ship's cranes.

Kind regards,
    Papercaptain

Ich schnipsel mit Schere, ich klebe und falz';
    das is zwar nur Schimäre, doch mich unterhalt's! :P(frei nach Johann Nestroy)

• Hi Papercaptain, thanks for the comments - you're quite right, a bit of a problem here! I will have to - very carefully - make a hole with a steel drill or point through the upper deck and carefully enlarge by filing, again very carefully. There should be a slightly smaller hole in the main deck into which the crane pivot can be pushed to get the right alignment.

Chris

• Hi Chris,

welcome aboard. It's looking damned good, what you show us in this report. I'm looking forward to build the Spee in 1:250 scale by cfm - and your report will surely help me. Will be with you in the further steps.

kr

Günter

Auf der Werft: MS Iserlohn; n.n.-Schiffsmodell in 1:250; Dio "Kleine Werft";

Meine letzten Modelle:

S.M.S. Frankfurt; Munitionstransporter Westerwald; FD Nürnberg; Fregatte Baden-Württemberg, MiSuBo Paderborn und Passau, F 213 Scharnhorst, ZKrz Helgoland, S.M.S Nassau, F216 Scheer, MS Wappen von Hamburg, S 13, S 100, P 6059 Jaguar,

KWdGr mit UWS, A 63 Main, S72 Puma, WFS Planet, Kirche St. Lorenz Nürnberg

• Hello Chris, I am a Graf Spee fan and I am very impressed with your work/corrections. This past Friday I received a book from a friend in South America. The books title is: Historia en imagenes del acorazado aleman, Admiral Graf Spee. Though written in Spanish, the book is really a photo journal of the life of this great ship and her crew. I have compared the photo's in the book to your build and I must say you have rendered her as she appeared. If you ever can get ahold of the book, do so, the photos take you from the boats construction to her final moments to what happened to the surviving crewman. If you are in to German Ships, this is a must have for your reference. One of the things I reflected upon while looking thru the book was the crew, though at the time they were apart of a War that involved the whole World, they were men as we with a pride in their ship and a zest for life, just as you find in any individual who is proud to wear a uniform and serve their country. They took great pride in their ship and served her well to include their Captain. I was moved at the quality of the care of the crew at the loss of their Captain. If you can find, get a copy, you will be glad you did. Keep up the great work and I look forward to more of your postings. I have laid out a copy of WAK's 1:200 French Battleship Dunkerque, of which I believe to be one of the most elegant designs ever for a Battleship. :usenglish:Rick

• Hi Chris, has been a few days since I was able to look at forum and saw your question. Per your request: Diego M. Lascano, (C) 1998, Diego M. Lascano, De esta edicion: 2006, Ediciones Pictoria, Colonia del Sacramento, Republica Oriental del Uruguay, E-mail: pictorabooks@hotmail.com, ISBN 9974-7837-1-2. I hope this helps you find a copy. If a person has an interest in this grand lady, this is a must have for the photo's. Your friend, Rick :usenglish:

• Thanks for the info. Rick - so far I'm finding that the book is out of print but I may get lucky - probably when I've finished this model!

A little more progress since my last post - the Arado is complete and on the catapult; I used most of the kit parts but the cockpit needed reducing slightly in height and some modification at the front end to meet the fuselage.

The launching trolley is missing from the kit and so I had to research this and construct from plastic rod and wire.

Chris

• Hello Chris, tell me what details you are looking for, I will look thru book and if there, scan and include as a attachment, if that will help. It is ashamed that you can not get, this is the book one needs for a build of this ship. Cheers, Rick

• That's a very kind offer Rick - right now some close ups of the searchlights would be very useful and for the future, the diagonal framework between the upper deck supporting the boats concerns me - to my eyes what's in the kit looks as if it wouldn't carry much weight at all and in my experience, what doesn't look right probably isn't right!

I can't find any photos of this structure at all and so if your book does have some info. it would be very welcome

all the best

Chris